Author Topic: St Vincent, West Indies  (Read 17624 times)

Offline whiteheather

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Vincent, West Indies
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 August 11 18:19 BST (UK) »
As I am new to this, I dont'd know if I am doing this right, although I am looking for spence of St. Vincents, in the 1800's I am wondering if it should be the name John Spencer who married ann Louisa Brown

Offline hoolianama0508

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 August 11 21:27 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if it should be the name John Spencer who married ann Louisa Brown

I think that is a sound idea.  My family is Gascoine, however the popular spelling is Gascoigne with the extra G. 
Agard, Cook, Earwaker, Garbitt, Gascoine, Greaves, Griffith, Stephenson,

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi whiteheather,

I started this thread as I was hoping someone would know where we might find BMDs for St Vincent.  Some of my Scots relatives were resident/born there around the 1830s. No luck so far though - and you`ve been looking for much longer than me.   ???

Offline whiteheather

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda v, good to know somebody else if looking for the same thing, I am a member of every site there is connected to St. Vincents, and nobody has come up yet with anything, where in scotland are your people from? mine are from Paisley, just wondering if there is a connection as my family must have gone out there about the same time
heather

Offline Moscatella

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

Mostly they are from Wigtownshire but Mary McKinzie c1834 St Vincent had a brother John b1836 Greenock, Renfrew.  Same county at least as yours.  Parents were James McKinzie 1811-1840 & Mary McCrea (there are spelling variations for both surnames in the various records but I go by Scotland`s People whenever possible).

Linda

Offline berylm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 22 August 14 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I haven't been on Rootschat in ages!
I also have a gt grandfather who came from St Vincent,
John Robert Jordan, b.  abt 1853 in  St. Vincent, West Indies
He was in Dunedin, NZ in 1878, where he married Catherine Young, who had come from Scotland.
He died in  04 Sept 1921 in Dunedin, New Zealand. His occupation is listed as: Baker or groom.
I'd appreciate  help with this.
Thanks so much
BerylM
Kennard/Kenward - Kent, England & NZ
Baker, Blanch, Brann - Sussex, England
Pullar, Arnott - Scotland & NZ
Jordan - West Indies & NZ
Young, Wishart - Scotland & NZ
Oxnam, Darlington - Cornwall & NZ
Mairs, Hill - Ct Antrim, Nth Ireland & NZ
Branks - Larnarkshire, Scotland & NZ
Maultby - Lincolnshire, England & Australia

Offline Norbert Glasgow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 April 17 17:34 BST (UK) »
Living in the UK there aren't many people that have the Glasgow surname, so I got the impression that the only Glasgow around was from my immediate family from St. Vincent & the Grenadines.
People in the UK keeps saying; "That's an unusual surname!" Where did it originate, and how is it spelt? And when speaking on the phone, some would get confused and think, or ask; are you from Glasgow in Scotland?

I was surprised when I decided to do my family tree, then did a Facebook and Google search only to find there are lots of (black) Glasgow family in other islands of the Caribbean and especially the US. Apart from my immediate family, I've found a couple of (black) Glasgow family too, in the UK.  The name is also connected to the Ivory Coast.

As I understood the theory; black people with the Glasgow name originated from slavery, where the white slavers gave their (mixed race) offspring the names of town and cities where they were from, instead of giving them their own surnames. But if the theory or whatever...is true, then how is it that there are white people I've seen on facebook that have the Glasgow surname too? And, read what I found in my search...by clicking on this link http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Glasgow#ixzz4ZhzFI3ux 

Offline Lee Ross

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 October 18 10:35 BST (UK) »
what families are you researching? A lot of my research is based on Saint Vincent, and I'm sort of doing a project on the inter-relations of the colonial families of St Vincent, so I might have something in my own records.

Hello,

I just saw your post about researching families in St. Vincent and was wondering if you've come across a Thomas Abbott Parker who was born 1806 in Bristol to John Parker (c.1774-?), a cabinet maker, and Sophia Gordon (c.1776-1839). He had the following children: Sophia (c.1837), Amelia (c.1839), George (c.1843) and Eliza Jane (c.1847) with Mary Lucretia McBarnett.

I have had no luck finding information about this family in St. Vincent but any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Lee
- Ross (Huntly, Aberdeenshire, Scotland)
- Clark (Bellie, Moray, Scotland)
- Parker (Bristol, England/West Indies)
- Appleyard (Tadcaster, Yorkshire, England)
- Wheatley (London, England)
- Gallagher (County Donegal, Ireland)
- Lambert (County Limerick, Ireland)
- Casbolt (Cambridgeshire, England)
- Slavin (County Armagh, Ireland)
- McBride (County Armagh, Ireland)

Offline Norbert Glasgow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 21 October 18 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Lee,

I'm only researching my own family.  I found the information about my family on Google search and Facebook.  Maybe you want to try there, too.

Cheers,
Norbert