Author Topic: East Benhar-is this an actual village?  (Read 19970 times)

Offline nvb272

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
East Benhar-is this an actual village?
« on: Tuesday 26 April 11 13:36 BST (UK) »
My gt grandfather was born in East Benhar in 1885, was this a village ? or an area , i'm trying to find it's location.
Bradford-Sussex, Surrey
McGinlay-Donegal,Glasgow
Howatson-Dalkeith,London
Jamieson-Londonderry,Partick
Key/McKee/Kee-Londonderry

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
Re: East Benhar-is this an actual village?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 14:01 BST (UK) »
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 14:05 BST (UK) »
W Benhar Rd, Harthill, Shotts, North Lanarkshire ML7, UK
Benhar Rd, Shotts, North Lanarkshire ML7, UK
Benhar Pl, Glasgow, Glasgow City G33 3, UK

google maps
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 19:40 BST (UK) »
My gt grandfather was born in East Benhar in 1885, was this a village ? or an area , i'm trying to find its location.

You can find East Benhar marked on some older maps at http://maps.nls.uk/index.html - choose Series Maps of Scotland, then Six-inch to the mile 1st Edition, and zoom in until you find Fauldhouse. East Benhar was about a mile north-north-west of Fauldhouse.

It looks as if any buildings there have gone and the area has been mostly planted with trees
http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS9161
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
Just a little bit more to what has been added already. Was your g grandfather born into a coal mining family. There is a refence here to a Wester and Easter Benhar www.scottishmining.co.uk/403.html.

Monica  :)

Added: Photo here of Castle Row, East Benhar www.wlfhs.org.uk/fauld8.htm
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline katlady2106

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 November 11 18:36 GMT (UK) »
My Grandmother was born in East Benhur. You can find it on an ordenance survey map but it is basically a field.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 November 11 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi katlady2106

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline big nanook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 December 11 22:35 GMT (UK) »
hi  ! indeed east benhar was real  but alas no longer it is a couple of miles from where i am sitting it is in the middle of the moors but it is quite easy for anyone to find as the ground still bears the mark of the houses a miners row about a mile east of pedens stone and i will tell you more if you want to contact me as i am blind i think it would be best if you emailed me as i find this site not very good for blind people who use screen readers so i will work out out how to get my email to you.  i know person  who is  still alive who was born there  i will try and help or put you in touch with the area history group  as i am part of another group but know members for that area
terry

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 January 12 00:37 GMT (UK) »
I took a trip in that direction last week, and went up to where the colliery was at East Benhar. I don't think I would describe it as a field. The whole area is uneven where holes were dug and heaps of spoil dumped. It certainly hasn't been cultivated since the coal mines closed, apart from some plantations of trees. If it were not for the rough grasses and self-seeded trees, it would look like a waste land. There's a prominent bing (spoil heap) which I climbed to admire a superb panoramic view to Edinburgh in the east, the Pentland Hills to the south, Duntilland to the north-west and Cairnpapple Hill and the Knock above Bathgate in the north-east.

There are various ruins around the foot of the bing but they are all built of brick, so they're not original houses. I expect all those have long gone. The land is wet, acid and boggy, and being on the top of Fauldhouse Moor it is pretty exposed. It would not have been an easy place to make a living from farming, and impossible of course once they started coal mining.

Unfortunately I spent too much time on top of that bing and didn't have time to look at West Benhar as well.

Some photographs at http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS9161 and http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS9162
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.