Author Topic: East Benhar-is this an actual village?  (Read 19973 times)

Offline big nanook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: East Benhar-is this an actual village?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 January 12 20:41 GMT (UK) »
that bing was an iron stone mine known as balbalkie bing  and is in lanarkshire as the county boundry is the fauldhose road to the east!  and east and east benhan if i remember correctly is a little bit to the south and on the west side of bing is the remains of pit workings and buildings and the old railway line is in between the bing and east benhar. the only person i can think of who was born and grew up in east benhar and is still living is an miss (*) whom i last heard of was in redmill nursing home or tippethill nursing home in whitburn but if she is ok she could tell lots
terry and g d usher

Added: Details of living people, or people who may still be living, should not be included on posts on RootsChat to protect their identity. Thank you.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 January 12 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Terry. I have been poring over the old Ordnance Survey maps of the area to see what was where, and I have to admit to finding it very confusing because of all the changes there have been. I was also a bit nervous of rambling all over the place because the maps show pits and shafts, and it would be easy to fall into one hidden in the long grass.

I have some connections of my own in Benhar. William McGuire (1845-1906), coal miner, married Elizabeth Barrie Storry (1853-1924) and some of their children were born at 5 West Benhar and others at 70 Benhar Colliery Houses.  Another relative, Edward Meldrum, was a director of Benhar Coal Company, and yet another, Agnes Waddell, married Alexander Neilson at Benhar in 1847.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline canham55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 August 12 19:24 BST (UK) »
This is really was a village a couple of miles out of Fauldhouse. There was an open cast mine there and I recall many deep lakes which may have been entrances /shafts?
Continue on thi sroad and you arrive at Harthill. Without chencking the map, this is close to teheA/M8?
My grandfather worked there as did some of his family/children.
My mother does have a book which is available in bookshops. Within this book is a picture of a row of cottages which had small back yards where miners would wash down when home.
I'm currently tryinng to track down a photo of my grandfather - currently there are none in the family.
Surname Hutchison.

Offline canham55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 August 12 19:28 BST (UK) »
Saw you wre reseaching the name BLACK. That's my grandmother's maiden name. She diod live at East Benhar and then moved to Fauldhouse.
Any links?

Offline nvb272

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 August 12 20:08 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was called Mitchell Ramsay McGinlay born 1885 father was Richard McGinlay.
Bradford-Sussex, Surrey
McGinlay-Donegal,Glasgow
Howatson-Dalkeith,London
Jamieson-Londonderry,Partick
Key/McKee/Kee-Londonderry

Offline alisonbcd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 September 12 02:59 BST (UK) »
The website posted 'murray of stanhope' has my grandparents and uncle listed. My grandfather was Peter Murray born 1903 in East Benhar, my grandmother was Alison Murray, nee Gray, and their son (one of nine children) was Joshua Murray.
Alison (Canada)
Featherstonhaugh; Doran; Murray; Gray

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 September 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
Murray of Stanhope, the traitor who turned Kings Evidence, by any chance?

Skoosh.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 15 September 12 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Skoosh

I don't think Alison is making a reference or connection to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Murray_of_Broughton. Undoubtedly, from the website as linked early in this post by Sylvia, www.murrayofstanhope.com/index.htm this John has his place  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alisonbcd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 15 September 12 19:37 BST (UK) »
I don't know Skoosh whether my Murray of Stanhope connection was a traitor. I'll look into it and let you know.
Cheers, Alison
Featherstonhaugh; Doran; Murray; Gray