Author Topic: Coat of Arms  (Read 6361 times)

Offline Yorkster

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coat of Arms
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 December 16 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frenchking, I know this is an old post but interested to connect with you. My father is the son of Mary Eleanor Stroughair who moved to Dublin from Yarm with her parents William and Mary. She married William Whelan.
My father Noel left Dublin in 1961 and moved to Richmond and then Leeming. I'm interested you mention one of our relatives in Northallerton which is 7 miles from Leeming! My Dad certainly wasn't aware he had many relatives on the Stroughair side living so close.
Kind regards, Nora

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Re: Coat of Arms
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 December 16 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Depends where you live. Check with the local herald agency. In England it's the College of Arms in London.

If you genuinely have a coat of arms it shouldn't be too difficult. If not - or you are not sure, I recommend this article by Dick Eastman who sums up the issue admirably:

Pssst! Want to Buy Your Family’s Coat of Arms?

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson