Author Topic: Whyte Family in Clones.  (Read 17607 times)

Offline AprilAllen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whyte Family in Clones.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 October 11 00:36 BST (UK) »
Yes Ireland in February, it's the only time I could go!  I'm used to the cold during those months anyway!  It gets very cold and snowy here.  I do plan on driving..... driving on the "wrong" side of the road will be quite the adventure! 

I would love to see it!  Thank you much.

Offline Enfaoi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 November 11 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link to a video on Clones - Past and Present.

http://youtu.be/wD6edonHB28

Hope you enjoy

Offline clonesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 November 11 03:08 GMT (UK) »
As a long lost native of Clones I just wanted to thank you so much for this.  Really fantastic.  Clones has been through some hard times and it's great to see it looking so good today and doing so well.  Thanks again! :)

Offline AprilAllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 November 11 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for sharing, Enda!!  I had just sent you a mail.  Nicely done!

Offline Enfaoi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 November 11 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank You all for your kind words on the video. We Clones folk, inhabitants, ex inhabitants and ancestors must stick together. As James in the Lennard Arms Hotel always says, "You're never alone when you're a Clone." ;D

Offline Enfaoi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Here is a link for another video of rare cine film taken by my Dad, Mannix, in Clones in 1964/65.

http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/inthepaper/articles/2012/12/31/4013838-clones-in-the-rare-oul-timesbr/

This should interest anybody with any connection with Clones
Thanks again everyone for your compliments on my first Clones video :)

Offline clonesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 04:47 GMT (UK) »
As James in the Lennard Arms Hotel always says, "You're never alone when you're a Clone." ;D

Ah, if only this were true.  I am the very last member of the Byrne family of Clones left in Australia.  All the other members of the family went to the US and made their fortunes.  I would have gone back to Clones many years ago but there were no members of the family left there.

Offline clonesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 06:06 GMT (UK) »
First off, I just wanted to say thanks again for another wonderful video clip.  Loved the old views of Cara Street and got quite emotional watching it.  However, when I read this post I think my eyes must have turned wide as saucers.  It was a case of Blimey!!!!!  :o  You father was Mannix Whyte?  My family knew him and I remember him too!  We lived down Cara St and out the Cavan road a bit and we were always stopping into his shop to buy groceries.  I must have walked and bicycled up and down Cara St hundreds of times and heaven knows how many times we stopped into your father's shop.  If your father is still alive he would certainly remember my family, the Byrne family.

Talk about small world.  This is incredible!  :)

Hi

Here is a link for another video of rare cine film taken by my Dad, Mannix, in Clones in 1964/65.

Offline Enfaoi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely amazing! I can tell you that your family has been on many occasions fondly remembered by my Mam and Dad. My Dad sadly passed back in 2003. Your house was on the edge of Mullinamoy Lane and you are not going to believe this  :D but when I was about the size of a milk bottle I can remember your Mum coming into the shop and telling my parents to bring me out to your house sometime. It might have been around the time your family was leaving but I can remember when I was brought out, your lovely Mum very kindly gave me a large spinning top from one of your family's toy boxes. This is a very strong memory for me because I remember her kindness and had a lot of fun with that Spinning Top. I hope you're not looking for it back now  :(   :D
It's a small small world isn't it  :o