Author Topic: Whyte Family in Clones.  (Read 17605 times)

Offline clonesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whyte Family in Clones.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Absolutely amazing! I can tell you that your family has been on many occasions fondly remembered by my Mam and Dad.

That's amazing!  They must have remembered my grandparents, Cyril Byrne and his English wife Winifred who was a nurse in WW!.  My grandfather was a senior Customs and Excise officer whose office was on the platform of Clones Station.  When the station closed his office was moved a few metres down the road.  My grandmother was well known in the town and was known as a very kind person.  My mother always said that she never had a bad word to say about anyone.   So your mum and dad would definitely have remembered my grandparents, my mum and me.  My mother's name was Yvonne and I'm her daughter Stephanie.  They may also have remembered my mother's younger siblings, Peter, Beryl and Bryan though they left Ireland long before we did.  Sadly, the family scattered to the four winds.

My Dad sadly passed back in 2003.

Very sorry to hear that.  He was a decent man and I'm very grateful to him for all that old film footage of Cara St - his efforts were definitely not in vain - and for all the stuff we used to buy in his shop.  I particularly remember Clones Creamery butter and milk and the lovely, fresh Bolan's bread.  Yummm...  What has happened to the shop now?

Your house was on the edge of Mullinamoy Lane

That's very interesting that you should call it that.  I have never heard it called by that name.  We always referred to it as Mt Salem Lane and the house was on the corner of the lane and the Cavan road.  I have a 1908 ordnance survey map of Clones and it lists an area of land further up the lane approximately at the top of the hill as 'Mount Salem' but does list an area called Mullinamoy next to Clonboy which is where we lived.  Unfortunately, there is no name listed on the map for the lane.

and you are not going to believe this  :D but when I was about the size of a milk bottle I can remember your Mum coming into the shop and telling my parents to bring me out to your house sometime. It might have been around the time your family was leaving but I can remember when I was brought out, your lovely Mum very kindly gave me a large spinning top from one of your family's toy boxes. This is a very strong memory for me because I remember her kindness and had a lot of fun with that Spinning Top. I hope you're not looking for it back now  :(   :D

Hehehe!  I'm flabbergasted.  I distinctly remember a large, colourful spinning top I had and it definitely wasn't brought to Australia.  Glad you got it.  I never knew what happened to 99% of my toys which were all left behind (same for my books).  At least now I know what happened to one of them. :)

It's a small small world isn't it  :o

Even smaller with the advent of the internet.

CG

Offline Bustard

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whyte Family in Clones.
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 February 23 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Do you remember the Clones Creamery , my father , Harry Bustard , was manager there from I think 1948 to 1953 . I remember the great taste of fresh milk and butter and the farmers bringing the milk churns in mainly by horse / donkey and cart . My father introduced a hatchery for chicks so that farmers wives would have an income from hens and eggs . Great memories of Clones with its massive , as it seemed , railway yards and station , I would love to see some photos from that time .