Author Topic: David Landale's son Robert Russell  (Read 11061 times)

Offline Dennis UY

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Landale's son Robert Russell
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 May 11 17:46 BST (UK) »
Monica,

Once again thank's a lot, you have been very kind.

69 Thistle Street was either the place where Robert was born or the address where his remmitances were sent from. Not sure.

I agree with you that it will be very hard to find more evidence relating Robert Banks to Robert Landale. According to my mother and aunts his father's family, probably Landale, were very supportive so I guess there was no need for Christine to go to court.

I started wondering about this connection after reading of David Landale's duel on the internet and discovering that he had a son named Robert Russell. There are many coincidences that make me beleive this son was my great grandfather.  I have lately watched a BBC Timewatch program where David's protrait and what's left of his house in Kirkcaldy were shown. I wonder if my great grandmother Christine worked there?

Regards,
Dennis.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 May 11 17:53 BST (UK) »
I wasn't aware of the history surrounding David Landale, father of Robert Russell Landale. Just been catching up http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6345765.stm and http://digital.nls.uk/broadsides/broadside.cfm/id/15371 ...glad to see that David Landale was successful, otherwise your history would be different!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline longinthetooth03

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 May 14 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Dennis.
I can see this is an old thread but having stumbled upon it accidentally I felt I could contribute.
Just this morning as part of unrelated research I photographed the gravestone of David Landale and his wife in the graveyard of the Old Kirk in Kirkcaldy. I have attached this photo for you in case it is still of interest.
I had been discussing the Landale duel with friends and decided to visit the graveyard to photograph the grave to show them. I also thought that the Landale house might still exist. It appears on Wood's map of 1824: 
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400043
This map identifies the property owners at the time and you will find the house near the top right hand corner. Today this area is part of the Adam Smith College campus. By comparing the georeferenced maps on the nls site with the google earth photography, however, I think the house is now gone. The Priory House which is part of the College is a younger building.
If there is anything else I can help with please let me know.
John B

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 May 14 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Welcome to RootsChat.

Thank you very much for sharing your photograph I am sure the Dennis would have been delighted to hear from you. Sadly Dennis email address in Uruguay is no longer working and sadly I have been unable to find an alternative address for him :'(

Kind Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cahill.dennis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 April 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi! I'm back with my active email!

Thanks to my cousin Maxwell Banks for letting me know that your messages were not reaching me! Thanks to all of you for the feedback!

Maxwell is travelling today to the UK and will try to add to what we know so far.

Searching for 69 Thistle Street I realised that there was a street with that name in Kirkcaldy (as well as everywhere else in Scotland it seems!). I now wonder if maybe the money to my grandfather was sent from 69 Thistle Street in Kirkcaldy and not from Edinburgh. Any help in finding out who lived or worked there would be very useful.

Thanks again to all!
Cheers,
Dennis.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 10:06 BST (UK) »
Welcome back Dennis :D

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Dennis

You might find a mention of an endowment or payment of some kind by potential grandfather David Landsdale in his will from1861?

There are a couple of entries for potentially a will (ref SC20/50/33 - doesn't state what it is) and then an additional inventory on the database of Scotlands People: David Landsdale, merchant in Kirkcaldy @ Cupar Sherriff Court.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk