Author Topic: Townhead school, Montrose  (Read 8146 times)

Offline urbsintacta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Townhead school, Montrose
« on: Saturday 30 April 11 22:34 BST (UK) »
My grandfather would have attended this school in the 1880's. It was situated almost on the site occupied by the present St Margaret's. I wonder if anyone would have a photo of the old School or knows anything about it.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re:Townhead school, Montrose
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 May 11 14:55 BST (UK) »
hi  :)

would that also be known as the north links school ?

http://www.montrosesociety.co.uk/Past%20And%20Present.pdf

see page 31

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline urbsintacta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Townhead School, Montrose
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 May 11 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ev

My apologies. My request should have been for Townhead School.At the 1871 census the present North Esk Road area was known as Townhead and the school was situated almost exactly where St Margaret's School now stands in Blackfriars Street. I had had a very good look at St Margaret's while in Montrose in July 2010, and the latter building could very well be the old Townhead school  - but I have my doubts. Hence my query.

Thank you so much for the PDF of Montrose: Past and Present. It really adds to my store of knowledge. Unfortunately the North Links School is NOT the North End school.

I'm going to start another thread with the subject, Townhead School.

i have modified the heading to townhead school - ev

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Townhead school, Montrose
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 May 11 16:37 BST (UK) »
yes , i did see townhead school on an old map(national library of scotland)

http://maps.nls.uk/townplans/view/?sid=74416142&mid=montrose

modern map -

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=371500&y=757500&z=120&sv=montrose&st=3&tl=Map+of+Montrose,+Angus+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 May 11 22:36 BST (UK) »
I thought the St Margaret's building was the building used by the Townhead School. That's what I know from people here in Montrose anyway. I will try and find out for you.

- Lucia
Most of my family tree covers the Highlands of Scotland, London, Hertfordshire and the Midlands of England. I work as a researcher in a military archive.

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 May 11 11:25 BST (UK) »
I have a book about Montrose which contains an old photo of Townhead School boys 1903-04, although you cannot see much of the building in it. Would you like to see it anyway?

EDIT: Just recently had a look at St Margaret's School and the building there is very similar to the one in the photograph.

- Lucia
Most of my family tree covers the Highlands of Scotland, London, Hertfordshire and the Midlands of England. I work as a researcher in a military archive.

Offline urbsintacta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 18:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, please. Send on a scan of the picture.

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
Here goes. Unfortunately cannot see very much of the building in this except to get quite a vague idea of what it looks like but I thought this would interest you nonetheless. I'll be on the lookout for more photographs. This picture is from a book called Montrose: Its People (2004).

- Lucia

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 16:25 BST (UK) »
Looking in the library earlier and a book indicates that the building where St Margaret's School is now is the same as the one which was the Townhead School. I'm thinking this is quite a reliable source (a local history book). Sorry for all of the confusion. I will let you know if I find any more pictures of the school.

- Lucia