Author Topic: Townhead school, Montrose  (Read 8145 times)

Offline urbsintacta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Townhead school, Montrose
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 May 11 00:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks again. I felt that the present St Margaret's building was a good bet to be the old Townhead School. That was from looking at the architecture and the materials used for the building - dressed stonework (red sandstone) etc., and I attach a photo that I took of the school in July 2010.

On looking through my Montrose collection I found that I actually have the photo you sent me (schoolboys 1903/04). More photos are very welcome of course.

I must say that all the people who replied to my thread have been more than generous of their time. Thank you all again. You are only confirming the high opinion I had formed of Montrose people.

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 May 11 02:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks again. I felt that the present St Margaret's building was a good bet to be the old Townhead School. That was from looking at the architecture and the materials used for the building - dressed stonework (red sandstone) etc., and I attach a photo that I took of the school in July 2010.

On looking through my Montrose collection I found that I actually have the photo you sent me (schoolboys 1903/04). More photos are very welcome of course.

I must say that all the people who replied to my thread have been more than generous of their time. Thank you all again. You are only confirming the high opinion I had formed of Montrose people.

Good to be of help in some small way. It would be great if we could get a photo of the school from the time your grandfather was there. The school looks good in your photo. I've realised recently that I never stop often enough to admire the buildings in Montrose.

Lucia
Most of my family tree covers the Highlands of Scotland, London, Hertfordshire and the Midlands of England. I work as a researcher in a military archive.

Offline bluerover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 14:21 BST (UK) »
I have been looking at the Townhead area of Montrose and my Neill ancestors are recorded as living there in 1871, next to the Brown Horse Inn. Jessie Neill, who married James
Smith, was my Great grandmother. I have lost touch with my Scottish relatives and have no pictures of them, so I was fascinated to see the picture of Ann Birse Smith, who would have been my grandfather's (another James) young sister. How brilliant to be able to share this. Thank you. :)

Offline urbsintacta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 August 12 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi bluerover

I sent you a private message but I thought I'd send a public post as well. We share a great-grand mother - Jessie Niell. If you'd like I'd love to correspond with you so that we could share information about the Niell and Smith families. I have been researching my family's history since 1998 and have a detailed family tree including lots of photographs.

Let me know and maybe we could arrange to correspond privately.

Offline bluerover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 August 12 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi urbsintacta

I am new to Rootsweb and I understand I will not be able to respond to Personal messages until I have made three postings. Once I have made another one I will get back to you. (I don't have any photos of the school to share - photos from my last visit to Montrose seem to have been mainly of the Football Club!)

Bluerover

Offline Sally Cundall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
townhead infants, montrose
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 July 17 10:51 BST (UK) »
To the lady who was asking about Townhead infants, I have a copy of a school register for North Links school from 1912 if you would like I can look up your relative, I cannot seem to locate your post now.
My mother was 5 when she went to Townhead School and 7 when she went onto North Links until she left, age 14.

My mother went to Townhead Infants Montrose from 1910 to 1912. She then went to North Links School Montrose from 1912 to 1919.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 July 17 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally , welcome to RC :)

Is this the thread you are looking for ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Sally Cundall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 July 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
My mother went to Townhead Infants from 1910-1912 then onto North Links School in 1912, until she left 1919 aged 14.
I have a cop of a school register for North Links from 1912. If anyone would like me to look up any relatives names for that time, just let me know.
I think it was 1987 when North Links was pulled down to make way for housing for the elderly.

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re:Townhead school, Montrose
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 July 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
hi  :)

would that also be known as the north links school ?

http://www.montrosesociety.co.uk/Past%20And%20Present.pdf

see page 31

ev

Thanks Ev for posting this.
My 3xGt Grandfather, Michael Allen, was proprietor of The Black Horse inn from the late 1860s to early 1880s. He moved there after he retired from his job as gamekeeper at Inglismaldie estate. He would have lived in the older building as I believe it burned down after his tenure (not during!).
Have you any idea of the date of the older photo on Page 25?
Sarah
Kirkcaldy and Dysart: Kinnaird, Brown, McDougall, Page
Burntisland: Brown, Chalmers
Perth: Low
Donegal: Browne, O'Donnell
Montrose: Allardice
Dorset: Allen