Author Topic: McParland/Hollowood 1861  (Read 11610 times)

Offline cem1980

• RootsChat Extra
  • Tying up loose ends since 1997
    • View Profile
McParland/Hollowood 1861
« on: Sunday 01 May 11 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

Just been stung by rootsireland (5 euros to tell me what I already knew! >:()

I told it - Marriage 1861 Forkhill RC - Mary Hollywood, James McFarlane

it told me - Marriage 12 DEC Forkhill RC - Mary Hollowood, Jas McParland
husbands father McParland, wifes father Hollowood (I'd never have guessed!)

Don't suppose a kind soul might take pity on me and flesh this out a bit for me? Please?
McFarlane, Tidy, Tebbutt, Simmons, Huson, Copeland, Smith, Bell, Godley, Gresham, Harvey, Durell - Woolwich, Camberwell, Aldermaston Berkshire, Hampshire, Pavenham Bedfordshire, Grimsby

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McParland/Hollowood 1861
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 May 11 01:01 BST (UK) »
Pre-registration church records (registration of Catholic marriages didn't start until 1864) usually have few details so it's possible that there are no further details for that particular marriage record.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cem1980

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 May 11 01:04 BST (UK) »
I see - sorry (provisionally) rootsireland - thought there'd been some lazy transcribing.  :-[
Thank you for the help. I feel less 'done' now.
McFarlane, Tidy, Tebbutt, Simmons, Huson, Copeland, Smith, Bell, Godley, Gresham, Harvey, Durell - Woolwich, Camberwell, Aldermaston Berkshire, Hampshire, Pavenham Bedfordshire, Grimsby

Offline cem1980

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 09:49 BST (UK) »
Through Scottish death records I have managed to discover that Mary Hollowood's parents are James Hollowood (farmer - listed as deceased in 1876) and Mary Hollowood nee O'Neil - Mary Hollowood was listed as a witness at the marriage of her daughter also Mary. I wonder if anyone has any information regarding this family in the area of Forkhill which presumably would have been her Parish?
In 1861 James McParland/McFarlane and Mary nee Hollowood/Hollywood did move to Scotland, originally Coatbridge Glasgow and then Dalry Ayrshire where they had several children;
Francis 1862
Mary Anne 1864
Bridget 1866
James 1868
Patrick 1872
Sarah 1874
All were Baptised in the Catholic Church and interestingly one of Patrick's 'sponsors' was a Patrick Hollowood who I am guessing could perhaps be a cousin or brother of Mary.
Mary Mcparland nee Hollowood dies in 1876 and after this I lose all trace of them in Scotland - no marriages that fit no deaths and no census records where more than one of these names appear together. I also can't find any trace of them on Australian or American records so I feel that perhaps James McParland/McFarlane took the family 'home' after the death of his wife?
If this seems to fit with anyone else I would be very interested to hear from you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 09:56 BST (UK) »
Irish civil registration index is online and goes up to 1921 for Northern Ireland counties-
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347

1901 and 1911 census are also online-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

PRONI Will Extracts-
http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx

There are also lots of resources under ARMAGH RESOURCES at the top of this board and in IRELAND RESOURCES which you might want to have a look at.

Also suggest taking a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kerleykins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 July 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
My Great Great Grandparents were James HOLLYWOOD and Mary NEIL.
They had daughters, Bridget and Catherine  from Carrive/Mullabane of Forkhill Parish, Co. Armagh. There were a number of marriages between HOLLYWOODs and McPHARLANE/McPARLANE.
I hadn't made the connection, though, with Mary HOLLYWOOD marrying a McPARLAND.
Bridget died young, in 1887,at Rotherham, Yorkshire.
Catherine, also, died young, 1885, at Mackay, Queensland, Australia.
Another researcher and I have been working solidly, as it happens, on these HOLLYWOODs, for some weeks now.
Patrick HOLLYWOOD appears a number of times as witness but I have been unable to track him down.
Both these sisters married two brothers, KERLEY.
Keep to swap information.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 July 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 On 26 Dec 1854 a Mary HOLLWOOD married Terence McCoy. The marriage was registered in Forkill, Co. Armagh. Mary's father is listed as Patrick HOLLYWOOD

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 July 12 15:38 BST (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation for Mullaghbane in 1864 has Margaret, Mary & Alice Hollywood sharing a house, offices (outbuildings) and 11 acres of land (plot 54). Sublet from them was Bridget Hollywood with a house only. Close by on plot 4 was James Hollywood with a house, offices and just under 4 acres. (Just off the modern Quilly Rd) north west of Forkhill.

Here’s the abstract of a will for a Hollywood of Mullaghbane. (Original should be in PRONI, Belfast.)

Full Abstract :
Hollywood Peter of Mullaghbane county Armagh farmer died 4 November 1942 Administration Belfast 8 September to Rose Hollywood the widow. Effects £158 5s.

Griffiths 1864 records James Hollywood with 3 acres of land in Carrive (no house). Plot 11c. Patrick Hollywood had a house, offices and 27 acres (plots 51 & 52). (On the modern Carrive Rd, either side of it, near the junction with Quilly Rd). Thomas, Owen, Francis & Laurence Hollywood all had plots nearby.
Elwyn

Offline kerleykins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 July 12 23:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for all that detail on Griffiths.

I do have it, and I'm working on the 1821 Census  of Carrive/Cariff and Mullaghbawn/Mullabane  (for the name HOLLYWOOD as well, using a process of elimination. 
Also, the Tithe Appplotment of 1828. Throwing  the Irish Naming Convention in for good measure, has worked, also to a degree.
Thank you so much.