Author Topic: great-grandaughter in search of WOOD family in Scotland  (Read 10838 times)

Offline Crystalll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: great-grandaughter in search of WOOD family in Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 May 11 17:31 BST (UK) »
thank you to everyone  who has replied to me.... I guess  honestly  that  going to the Registar is  probably the best as  one said earlier in the  posts...

I know my great Aunt Mary is  still  alive,  like i said her memory  is pretty much faded,  and my  Great Aunt  Ruth is  not the same as  listed above  as  deceased, because I remember  talking to her  on the phone when I was a  very young  girl around  6 or  7 when my grandmother would  call her  sister  Ruth overseas.  Again.... thank you to  all that have  tried  to help me . :)  very much appreciated

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 May 11 20:20 BST (UK) »
hello again crystall - your great aunt Mary, is she the Mary you mention in your first post that married a man named Haskins?  Do you know if she has a middle name(s)?  Would she know if Ruth had any middle names?

Also its worth pointing out that there were two ruth cobble woods born in aberdeen - one in 1927 (who as Malky notes, passed away in infancy), and another 8 years later in 1935 in Aberdeen.........is is possible that the second Ruth was named after the first one as a mark of respect? this can be quite commonplace in scotland, from what i've seen.

Perhaps the second Ruth was the great aunt you mention having spoken with when you were younger?

Also it is VERY coincidental that george corbet wood's own mother was a Howitt, as was your grandmother for her middle name. Howitt was not a common name in Scotland at this time.

Probably wise not to completely discount this lot, as theres an awful lot of coincidences.  But I agree, look for the fact, and order Helen H Woods birth cert.

Kind rgds,

A

Offline Crystalll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 02:46 BST (UK) »
Ana,  thank you,  Malky  thank you, and everyone  else  who  has  been helping,thank you :)
. I got in contact  with my  2nd cousin, the eldest  daughter  of  my  2nd Aunt Mary,  yes she  is   Mary Mutch Ross Wood,  born Nov. 30, 1928, the younger sister of my grandmother  Helen Howitt Wood born May 9, 1925.... although my 2nd  cousin could  not give me any information  on Ruth...  We are  trying to locate  Ruth actually because Mary is  getting  sicker  and sicker and would like to talk to her  sister.. But I would  like  to find my ancestory  as  far  back as  I can ..I think it would be great  for my daughter to know , as well as  my cousins,  2nd cousins.  And  maybe  one  day i can travel  to Scotland  and see  where my ancestors lived and  meet  family who I have never  seen/nor spoken to  :)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 20:53 BST (UK) »
Just for information, the 1938 Ruth Cobble Wood, born Aberdeen Eastern District, married a John Cardno in 1960, Aberdeen Northern District.

Regards

Malky

Offline Larsson01

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 June 14 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hello there, I am searching for my ancestor and family history without any luck ???. I am hoping that  someone( or family perhaps)  will recognize the names and be able to help me out. Living in Canada isn't easy to find information that  one would like to find without knowing the counties or townships of Scotland. I do know they were from the Aberdeen region. I am searching my fathers mothers  side of the family. Any help  would be greatly appreciated  :)

As much information as I have to go on is as  follows:
my grandmothers parents were: George Wood( at least  pre 1913)
                                                Elizabeth Patterson Wood (same,  pre 1913)
she had 2 sisters that i knew of:
                                               Ruth Wood
                                               Mary Wood ( immigrated to Canada after WW2, married name is  Haskins)
and my grandmothers name was:
                                               Helen Howitt Wood- born May 9, 1925 ( immigrated to Canada in 1945 after the birth of her eldest son Victor Lawrence Jr., and after  WW2, her married name was  Lawrence,  married to Victor Lawrence Sr.)

Hi Crystall, 

I came across this thread recently, as I was researching this with my mother, Angela.  My name is Claire- the granddaughter of Ruth Cobble Wood and John Cardno.  We've recently been trying to get in touch with Mary Haskins in Thunder Bay by email, but, unfortunately, we think we may have an incorrect address- as our emails always bounce back!  It would be great to hear from you, if by any chance you still have an active account here (I realise this thread is over three years old, so fingers crossed!)

All the best,

Claire

Offline Crystalll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 June 14 02:38 BST (UK) »
 ;D :D YAY!! Yes Claire... we ARE related and the family i was looking for!! My grandmother Helen and your grandmother Ruth are sisters!!!  Thanks to all that helped over the yrs!..............  Crystal

Offline Helizabeth

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire,

This is Helen's other granddaughter Holly Elizabeth (middle name after our great grandmother I believe).  I am Crystal's sister.  I don't think that we have ever talked but I used to write another cousin Sonya (I think she is in England?) when I was much younger.  I was supposed to come and visit with my grandmother before her untimely and quick passing.  It would be wonderful to get to know the family again as my grandmother would go to Scotland every second to third year to visit and kinship was important to her.  I think that your mother has also been in touch with our cousin Sheila Haskins about great aunt Mary.  I think the last time the Scottish side of the family did visit Canada was in the mid nineties.

Warmest regards,

Holly