Author Topic: Catholic Schools in late Victorian Dennistoun/Bridgetown  (Read 4507 times)

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Catholic Schools in late Victorian Dennistoun/Bridgetown
« on: Monday 02 May 11 11:28 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was brought up in the Dennistoun/Bridgetoun area, in and around East John Street (or Bluevale Street, as it is now).    I've been wondering what school he and his siblings might have attended.    I know that there is a St. Anne's Primary in David Street, which is close by, but I can't find, anywhere, how old that school is.    Would anyone know what catholic schools were in this neighbourhood in the period around 1880 to 1900?
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Schools in late Victorian Dennistoun/Bridgetown
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 May 11 12:22 BST (UK) »
winterbloom21 unable to help with any school names from the late 1800s
now days st mungo`s academy is the prominent catholic school in the area which is just at the bottom of east john st across the gallowgate . the most likely would be st mary`s in the calton further down the gallowgate which at that time would prob have had a workhouse attached and therefore a school.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 May 11 12:47 BST (UK) »
I think Garngad is probably right when he says St Mary's in Abercrombie St. Some of my ancestors lived in Townhead (Castle St) in the 1880s and according to a poor relief claim an order was granted by the (civil) parish to pay for Catholic education of the children at St Mary's. So this must have been the nearest Catholic primary school. I think St Mungo's Academy was a High School and as far as I know, a child had to be very brainy to win a place. Otherwise, the local Primary School "Advanced Division" was used after the age of 11 or 12 years.
My father and his 6 brothers were all born and raised in Partick in the 1910s - 20s. Although they were raised in "The Quarry" which was the roughest, toughest street in the area, all these 7 boys were very intelligent. My dad, the 2nd oldest, was put into the top class of the Advanced Division as soon as he left St Peter's Primary. He sat in that same class, along with his older brother, for 3 years. Another brother who was born in 1919 was so brainy that he won a scholarship to St Mungo's Academy, at that time the only Catholic High School in Glasgow (It may have been a boys only school). He had a natural gift for learning languages and was always sent for the fish suppers because he could ask in Italian and was always given big portions! (You Glasgow folk know what I mean!).

Sadly, he had to leave St Mungo's at the age of 14 because my granny, by then a widow, needed the money. John's 1st job was going round the streets of Hyndland and Kelvinside selling firewood. During WWII he was in the Burma Campaign and was only there a few weeks when he became fluent enough to act as official translator for the army (what he didn't know he would have made up, he wasn't a wee Gleska keelie for nothing). He married his childhood sweetheart and went to live in Luton, near London. He never paid a taxi fare when he lived there because he could speak Urdu or whatever it was the foreign taxi drivers spoke!
Sorry this has ended up way off topic - it's a Bank Holiday and I've time on my hands  :)
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 May 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much both of you.       St. Mary's sounds a good candidate.   Didn't families flit about in those days, though?    Every time you find them, they're living at a different address.   I've got to know the district of Dennistoun, Bridgeton and Royston like the back of my hand now!    My great-grandfather was living in Garngad Road when his first two children were born, but by the time my grandfather arrived in 1883 they were living in and around East John Street.    They actually lived at East John Street for two censuses in a row!    Amazing!    I like your Dad's story, Lodger.   A similar fate befell my grandfather on my mother's side.    His eldest brother had died of typhoid when he was about twelve, so he got promoted to senior boy, which was unfortunate when his father died of gastroenteritis when he was only 36. They were living on the Isle of Dogs at the time, in 1901, and there were about five other kids.   He joined the navy as soon as there was a uniform to fit him and stayed in it, Royal and Merchant, for the next fifty years.   He died in 1964.  He was a real pet.

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 May 11 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Winterbloom,

The Mitchell Library in Glasgow holds a lot of old school records for Glasgow, so might be worthwhile sending the archivist an email.

Gerry

archives[at]glasgowlife.org.uk (replace [at] with @)

Farrell / Mcpolan / Devlin / Flood / Kelly/ McGovern/ McCormick
Letham / Leatham / Cattanach/ ODonnell/ BoyleRoss/ McLeod
McAnaw/McInaw/McNay/ Finn/ Eliott
Pollock / Hyslop/ Elder/ Renfrew/ Hart/ Brydon

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 May 11 22:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much, Gerry.  I'll give that a go.   They were certainly very helpful when I asked them recently to do a check on a voters register for me.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 10:03 BST (UK) »
There was a school at St Mary's and one called Sacred Heart

Brother Walfrid the founder of Celtic FC in 1888 taught at both schools

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 12:54 BST (UK) »
on a 1930s map  a wee bit after your date at the top of whitevale st before duke street there is a saint anne`s rc church there may have been a school attached unfortunate it`s on the border of the map and only the church is shown.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile