Author Topic: Baverstock Hampshire  (Read 6946 times)

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baverstock Hampshire
« on: Monday 02 May 11 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to trace the name Baverstock back from Dorset in early 18th Century. 

The Blandford Baverstocks all seem to descend from a John & Elizabeth Baverstock who were in Cranborne Parish in 1735 where they baptised their son William Baverstock.  However, the family were clearly in the parish earlier as 3 of John Baverstock sisters were married in Cranborne, Elizabeth Baverstock in 1710 to John Major, Jane Baverstock in 1714 to William Compton and Joan Baverstock in 1722 to Richard Yardley.   There was one futher sister Mary Baverstock who in 1726 was unmarried and a brother William who died in 1726 Alderholt (part of Cranborne parish at that time).  It is this latter brother William who made a Will and in which the sibling relationships above are given.  However other than the marriages of his sisters there are no entries for the name Baverstock in Cranborne earlier than this.  I have been unable to locate a burial for William despite having his Will nor a marriage for John & Elizabeth or a baptism for earlier children of whom there was definitely one - John Baverstock born abt 1726 working back from his age at death.

I am therefore wondering whether given the position of Alderholt - if one stands in the stream one can touch 3 different counties - whether the line may have been a branch of the Hampshire Baverstocks for which Andover seems to have been the centre.  Interestly there is a burial entry for a Joan Baverstock in Fordingbridge - next door to Alderholt - in 1716.  The particular common Baverstock christian names are William, John Charles & James and Jane Elizabeth and later Sarah.

Incidentally if anyone has the Baverstock name in their line which traces back to Dorset I may be able to help them as I have built up fairly extensive data on this particular family in trying to prove the descent from a single pair of ancestors.

Posted in hope rather than expectation.
Regards Sarenid

Offline emarbe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Baverstock Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 May 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hello seranid

I don't have any Baverstocks in Dorset as all of mine were from Andover (although one pops up in Kent) and I haven't gone back as far as you, just to 1800.
The names which repeat frequently are William, Joseph John, Henry (Harry), Thomas, Richard, John, Mary, Sarah, Elizabeth (Eliza), Louisa.
My relatives moved to London in the mid 19th c, but most of the others remained in Hampshire.

Regards

Mike
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarenid

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 May 11 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Mike.  Interestingly few of the Dorset Baverstock ventured to London.  The only one was a George Baverstock married to Harriet Bungay who moved to London around 1830. His descendants seem to have stayed in the London area.

Interestingly there are two names which seem distinctive to the Andover Baverstocks rather than the Blandford ones and those are Richard & Henry whenever I come across them in searches I know they don't belong to me.

Regards Sara

Offline JulesSmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 May 11 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hello seranid

I don't have any Baverstocks in Dorset as all of mine were from Andover (although one pops up in Kent) and I haven't gone back as far as you, just to 1800.
The names which repeat frequently are William, Joseph John, Henry (Harry), Thomas, Richard, John, Mary, Sarah, Elizabeth (Eliza), Louisa.
My relatives moved to London in the mid 19th c, but most of the others remained in Hampshire.

Regards

Mike

Mike, do you have Ann Baverstock in your records? bn 1748 in Andover, daughter of jane and re reputed father is John Sweeting?  Ann went on to marrie dJacob Leach.

Offline emarbe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 May 11 15:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I don't have any Ann born around that time as the earliest I've gone back is (John) Thomas born in 1780 and his parents were Thomas and Ann (no information on these). Of course your Ann could be related to my Thomas, but I don't have access to the PR's.

Mike

Offline PaulC120

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 June 11 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Had never heard of the Baverstock name until the other day when these popped up on my tree through marriage to the Gandy family as they are Micheldever based I guess their yours from the Alton branch, although a quick check shows that Sidney Arthur's father & Grand father appear to be born in Micheldever??

[73] Mary Jane Gandy b.1862 Brown Candover d.1931
+ Sidney Arthur Baverstock b.1874 Micheldever d.1943
   [94] Ada May Baverstock b.1900 Brown Candover
   [95] Stanley William Baverstock b.1903 Preston Candover
                [96] Alice Sidney Charles Baverstock b.1905 Preston Candover

Regards
Paul
Carter - Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Leicester, Surrey
Povey - Berkshire, Sussex, Glamorgan, U.S.A.
Havell - Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Canada, Argentina
Hunt – Berkshire
Franklin – Berkshire
Mowlson – Berkshire
Chandler - Berkshire, Somerset
Wallin – Berkshire
Johnson – Berkshire
Druce - Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire
Gandy - Hampshire, Glamorgan
Phillips - Hampshire
Rowe - Buckinghamshire
Cook - Hampshire,
Cruse - Hampshire
Eyles - Hampshire
Leppard - Oxfordshire, Glamorgan

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 June 11 09:38 BST (UK) »
If you search the Hampshire CALM database

http://calm.hants.gov.uk/DServe/Search%20all.htm

You will see there were BAVERSTOCKS in Hampshire going back to 1558
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulC120

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 June 11 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi bearkat

thanks for the link that looks potentially very usefull  :)

Paul
Carter - Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Leicester, Surrey
Povey - Berkshire, Sussex, Glamorgan, U.S.A.
Havell - Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Canada, Argentina
Hunt – Berkshire
Franklin – Berkshire
Mowlson – Berkshire
Chandler - Berkshire, Somerset
Wallin – Berkshire
Johnson – Berkshire
Druce - Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire
Gandy - Hampshire, Glamorgan
Phillips - Hampshire
Rowe - Buckinghamshire
Cook - Hampshire,
Cruse - Hampshire
Eyles - Hampshire
Leppard - Oxfordshire, Glamorgan

Offline emarbe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 June 11 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

The name Gandy doesn't appear anywhere with my Baverstocks and I don't have any in other parts of Hampshire, apart from Andover, in the 19th c.
You'll notice from the link that bearkat has posted that there are certain first names which crop up a lot and this makes searching very difficult, unless they have a middle name as well which singles them out.

Sorry i can't help more

Mike