Author Topic: Northwich Absent Voters Lists  (Read 3562 times)

Offline MasterMariner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Northwich Absent Voters Lists
« on: Monday 02 May 11 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

In the 1911 Census there is a James Hughes listed as being a Private with the Cheshire Regiment in Barracks at Chester. I have contacted the Cheshire Regiment research section but they really need his service number and they said that it should appear on an Absent Voters List.

Would there be copies of this list in Northwich Library, or do any of you members out there have have access to this list? I don't even know what format it takes - does it list absent voters by street and residence or is it just a list of names?

The person in question would have been my wife's great uncle but he died in WW1 but we don't know where, when and how. Therefore his service number would greatly assist in further research.

Known details.....
James Mason Hughes (the Mason does not always appear in Census returns)
Born Northwich, Cheshire 1893/4
Parents William H and Annie Hughes
Residence in 1901 was 17 Meadow Street, Northwich
Residence in 1911 was Jubilee Street, Northwich.

Can anyone offer and suggestions or help?

Thanks
MM

Gallaway, Stevens, Pring, Piller, Hulme, Hughes, Jones, Hardy.

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Northwich Absent Voters Lists
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 May 11 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Master Mariner,

Can't help with Regimental Number, suggest you ring Northwich Library to see if they have an "Absent Voters Roll". I do think I recognise James's father though............William Henry Hughes b.abt 1862 bap 24 AUG 1862 at St Helen's, Witton, son of James Charles Hughes and Hannah Pemberton?

odessa.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fishweb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi MM,
There is a tree on Ancestry with James Mason Hughes and his family on.
He is down as being killed in action on the 3rd May 1917 in France.
There is also details of his marriage. He was married in Dundee according to the tree.
Could he have been in a Scottish Regiment?
May be this is him on the commonwealth war graves site
James Hughes Private Royal Scots Fusiliers 1st Bn 3/5/1917 service no 20653 Arras Memorial
Hope this is of help to you.

Cathy
cheshire capper houghton malia/melia fitzgerald higgins emson groves nickson
staffordshire burns goddard lindop davenport
wiltshire dowling chandler tuff
devon cox vinnecombe-butler pearce
cornwall bersey

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MasterMariner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Odessa and Fishweb,

Fishweb - The family tree listing James Mason Hughes as marrying in Dundee is a red herring I'm afraid - I've already pursued (ie been in contact) that one and found that it's probably a case of mistaken identity.

Odessa - You are spot on with William Henry Hughes, James Charles Hughes and Hannah Pemberton. Are you connected or have you just been diligent in your research?

Will try Northwich Library shortly as the family would like to clear the when, where and how etc.

Thanks
MM

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Master Mariner,

A little research for a friend and a very tenuous link into the Deakin family via the Duttons and the Hughes made me look at the Hughes tree in Northwich, not in minute detail, but I do have some local references.
I think if you can fix on a date for the death of James Mason Hughes, there will be a piece in the Northwich Guardian, the Great War was well documented from a local point of view.
If I can help with any oddments you are short of for the Hughes in Northwich, send me a P.M. and I'll see what I have. I went back as far as the marriage of Thomas Caleb Hughes and Olive Brandreth in 1819

odessa.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 October 16 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi MM

Have you made any progress with finding James Mason Hughes records?

I'm just asking as he is mentioned in 3 local newspaper extracts published in Alan Lowe's book "A Call to Arms" The book covers the period July 1914 to Dec 1914. I'd be happy to send you details if you're interested.

Regards Genna.
Brassington - Leek
Byrne - Liverpool and Macclesfield
Crooks - Liverpool and St Helens
Chittenden - Kent
Gorse - St Helens
Martin - Kent and India
Rimmer, Scott - Lancashire
Little - India
Gilliard - Essex and Kent
Brookes, Woolley - Worcestershire

Offline MasterMariner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 October 16 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Genna,

I meant to close this thread but I'm glad I didn't after you write that James was mentioned in a book! For some reason the family had always assumed that James Mason Hughes had perished in WWI but after trying to establish his regimental number I found the mentions in the newspaper with the required number and, to back it up, it listed his parents names and address - which confirmed my findings. He did indeed survive the war and went on to marry and lived in Grimsby. The question that it didn't answer though was why did his sister and niece's family all belief that died in action? We will never know!

Anyway, I'd be pleased about any info in the book that you mentioned as there's relatives in the US who have been following this saga.

Best regards
MM

Offline genna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 October 16 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi MM

Glad you found James with his family in Grimsby. I did as well via his dob and the 1939 register when I couldn't find him on the Northwich Roll of Honour.

James's inclusion in the book is about three letters he wrote home to friends and family which were summarised in the Northwich Chronicle. The first appears in the Saturday Oct 10th 1914 edition. It was brief and just mentioned that Pte Richard William Chandler of Northwich had been recommended for the VC. The second mention is in the Chronicle of 31st Oct. in which it says that he is of "C" Company the Cheshire Regt and had been wounded. He talks about stopping a bullet and being unsure how long he will be in hospital then goes on to give a brief description of his time at the front. His last mention covers a page and half and was from the Chronicle on Saturday 19th Dec. He is described as Pte J. M. Hughes of "C" Company of the 1st Cheshire Regt.. He wrote home from Crumpsall Hospital, Manchester where he was being treated for a wound to his left leg and to his left eye which it was feared he might lose. It mentioned that he was in the Reserves when he was called up and working at Illingham. He goes on to describe his arrival in France on the 20th August.

I can PM you the rest of his letter if you are interested.

Regards Genna
Brassington - Leek
Byrne - Liverpool and Macclesfield
Crooks - Liverpool and St Helens
Chittenden - Kent
Gorse - St Helens
Martin - Kent and India
Rimmer, Scott - Lancashire
Little - India
Gilliard - Essex and Kent
Brookes, Woolley - Worcestershire

Offline MasterMariner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 October 16 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Genna,

Been away for a few days hence the delay in replying. I believe James died in 1946 and one of his sons died in action in the RAF in 1943.

I would be interested in reading the full accounts. I managed to get an offer of a month's subscription  for a pound with the Find My Past site and found some of what you mention there, however, upon saving the pages for future reference I found them to be virtually unreadable when the saved file was reopened. Someone on another forum also linked me to the Regiments War Diaries for the start of the war up to Christmas which was interesting reading.

Do you have any connection with the Hughes family?

Thanks for the time and effort. Best regards

MM