Author Topic: Helen Greig Marriage to William Ross  (Read 39791 times)

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Helen Greig Marriage to William Ross
« on: Tuesday 03 May 11 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, I can't seem to get credits on Scotlands People (nothing wrong with my credit card!) and I have a problem with an ancestor William Ross b: 20 March or 22 April 1838  1838 who married a Helen Greig (details I am trying to find) who had a son William Ross b: 21 Dec 1858.

The only Helen Greig I can find by various searches was born c 1820 and she married a different William Ross from what I can establish. Her husband was issue of David Ross and Margaret Jones m 29 Jan 1814 Tranent according to IGI.

My William Ross is issue of William Ross and Joan Hogg. He would have married c 1856-1858. It is possible that it was not in East Lothian but I think this unlikely.

This info actually came from a "professional genealogist whom I engaged over a year ago and who was less than credible given it took her three months to supply any info and all I got was a pedigree tree and no supporting documentation.

So, can anyone help me? Did Helen Greig b 1920 possibly marry twice and to two William Ross's?

Can't find death cert for her William.

I have found an 1861 census return for  William Ross and Helen Ross but this is clearly for the other couple not mine.

Any assistance or guidance would be appreciated.....I have searched Ancestry and MyHeritage and IGI  without success.

Scotskiwi Auckland New Zealand

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Greig Marriage to William Ross
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Portonian
Welcome to Rootschat!   ;D

Which is the information supplied to you by the researcher - and which is the information you started with, which you know to be true for your ancestor?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 13:57 BST (UK) »
The only  information supplied was William  Ross b 22 April 1838  m Helen Greig b 1838 on 16 September 1853. No supporting documentation.

The pedigree showed his parents as simply Wm Ross and Joan Hogg. I have done some research on them and I believe that they are William Ross b: 13 April 1814 Pencaitland d 8 April 1889 Ormiston and Joan Hogg b: 18 July 1815 Tranent d: 2 June 1904 Ormiston.

His issue was advised as William Ross born 1858 married 30 Dec 1881 Jane Marshall b: 1859.

I have previously secured copies of certificates proving that their issue, Wm Ross b: 30 Dec 1881 is my grandfather and is correct.

The hiccup seems to be the Helen Greig marriage. of course, I also have to doubt the Issue of Wm Ross from William Ross and Joan Hogg.

If I could access Scotlands People site I would be able to validate by getting documentation on Helen Greig and William Ross b 1858.

Hope this helps.

Scotskiwi

PS I have a jpg of the pedigree chart I was supplied for my money!

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi again

His issue was advised as William Ross born 1858 married 30 Dec 1881 Jane Marshall b: 1859.

I have previously secured copies of certificates proving that their issue, Wm Ross b: 30 Dec 1881 is my grandfather and is correct.

Just to clarify - as you have the marriage date of the parents and the birthdate of their son, both as 30 Dec 1881 ??

On the documantation that you have for your Grandfather, does anything state an occupation for his father? Also, where was Grandfather born?

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 14:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry, yes I also forgot to mention that date anomaly!

Clear that "researcher" threw this together.

Grandfather actually born 7 September 1886 according to certs I have since obtained. His father was listed as Fisherman. Couple Docs attached.

Only small sections of certificates should be attached for help with deciphering or clarification  :)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Portonian,

I found the marriage on "FreeReg" of William Ross and Helen Greig on the Tranent Parish Church Records.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lo/  for FreeReg,

remember to select "East Lothian" on County box.

William Ross was a Cockenzie Fisherman and Helen's father was William Greig was a labourer from Cockenzie.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 19:50 BST (UK) »
That was an excellent find Tom  :)

Because the census throw up two William ROSS b abt 1882, son of William & Jane and another b abt 1887 son of William & Jessie - I just want to establish:

When your grandad William ROSS  got married to your grandmother - did their marriage lines:   state his parents to be William ROSS & Jane MARSHALL?

And if so, when William ROSS snr married Jane MARSHALL, did his marriage lines state his parents to be William ROSS & Helen GRIEG?

Someone has done research on the ROSS/HOGG line here - descendant focus is on their son George.
http://www.duncangroup.com/dunc/duncan/91.htm

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

The baptism on 22 Apr 1838 of William Ross b 20 Mar 1838 Tranent Parish Church entry 3673.
Parents were William Ross and Joan Hogg, William stayed in Tranent and was a Coalier (sic)

The baptism on 10 Sep 1821 of William Ross b 21 Aug 1821 Tranent Parish Church entry 16780, Parents were David Ross and Margaret Jonnes (sic). Notes added were - Name of child crossed out and "William" written above. Birth Date looks like "15" overwritten with "21"

* removed 1881 census as incorrect
Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 May 11 23:11 BST (UK) »
Apologies re full certifcates being posted. My error.

Re AMbly

My grandfathers birth certificate of 1886 says father is William Ross and mother Jane Ross previously MARSHALL. Informant was an Agnes MARSHALL (Aunt) who was thus a sister of Jane Ross (ne Marshall).

His Marriage Certificate also validates the maiden name of mother as MARSHALL.

Marriage Certificate of William Ross b 1858 (Age 23)  and Jane Marshall b 1859 (age 22) records father as William Ross Fisherman and Mother Helen Ross (ne Greig). And her parents as John Marshall deceased Fisherman and mother Mary Marshall (ne Coull).

Hope this clarifies.

Scotskiwi

Bill