Author Topic: Helen Greig Marriage to William Ross  (Read 39726 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Greig Marriage to William Ross
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
Quote - This supports the William Ross (my great great grandfather advised b: 22 April 1838 by "Professional" genealogist) as not being from Hogg Ross line of course.

The professional genealogist is wrong, the FreeReg gives the following: -

County   East Lothian
Place   Tranent
Church   Tranent Parish Church
RegisterNumber   
DateOfBirth   20 Mar 1838
BaptismDate   22 Apr 1838
Forename   WILLIAM
Sex   M
FatherForename   WILLIAM
MotherForename   JOAN
FatherSurname   ROSS
MotherSurname   HOGG
Abode   TRANENT
FatherOccupation   COALIER
Notes   
FileNumber   3673

I don't think the "professional" genealogist knew of FreeReg, as they would have put this confusion to bed.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

Sorry, poor writing on my part.

What I meant was that Wm Ross b 22 April 1938 can't be my ancestor (gt gt grndfather) as the "professional" advised me, as it seems clear that he is actually William Ross b21 August 1921 who married Helen Greig. I worded my reply badly.

I didn't intend  to suggest that Wm Ross born 20 March 1938 didn't exist, I myself had verified his existence but had failed to check that the validity of his marriage to Helen Greig.

Based on everything I have been advised it is not possible for him to be my gtgt grndtfather as was given me when I engaged the genealogist. It means I now have to redo my tree all the way back from him and I currently have over 200 ancestors in the Ross Hogg line and I lose Jackie Crookston on the way probably! A shame, I had become quite attached to her being my 5x Gt grandmother and proud of her being there.

Hopefully I might find a link between her Ross line and my new one back from William Ross b 21 Aug 1821 Tranent Parish Church entry 16780, Parents  were David Ross and Margaret Jonnes (your discovery!)

No matter, lesson learned! I should have been wary when I had to chase the genealogist up several times and threaten to get my payment refunded. At the end of the day I was grateful to get anything even just a pedigree tree in effect. It just highhlights the need to be thorough.

I'm appreciative of the forum which has been very helpful. On the matter of Freereg is that also called FreeBMD?

We don't have online viewing capability with New Zealand records and I've only been dabbling for the past few months in a semi serious way. Have come across FreeBMD occassionally in working on UK family stuff but haven't actually used it myself. I thought it just provided index results which then necessitated going to the Stat Registers to find the actual viewable info. I wasn't aware that it provided extract info which will obviously help me going forward with my work on William and his ancestors.

Many thanks again and if you have any tips for me I'd sure appreciate them.

No doubt I'll be back!

Scotskiwi

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

sorry to be a pain.

I have been into Freereg parish website and found parish index table with all different parishes and their numbers ie 722/1 which appear as active links. When I click on any I end up getting a page saying I am being redirected and then to a page which says it doesn;t exist?

Appreciate you have better things to do than educate this fool but any guidance would be appreciated as to how to access Parish register info for East Lothian (Haddingtonshire) and do searches and find extracts.

The site doesn't seem to explain that too clearly.

Any recommendations?

Scotskiwi

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Scotskiwi,

FreeBMD is similar but just deals with England & Wales, so not used it too much. It says it is a companion project but takes records from parish registers, not all counties are complete, but luckily for you, East Lothian is.

Most of your ancestors were from fisherman stock, mostly based in Cockenzie and Port Seton, as it did not have its own register, some were registered in Tranent and some in Prestonpans. Ross is still a common name in the village, I knew a few William Ross's. My own grandfather was born in Ross Land, Cockenzie, not sure who that was named after.

I know the link with Jackie Crookston was quite good, you may find when you redo the search, you may end up with the same.

Tom

ps I will pm you re FreeReg, just saw your post.

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tom

I spent many summers there visiting my grandparents and several uncles and aunt and cousins.

All before the big housing housing expansion from the 70's onwards. really enjoyed it. used to go to the saltwater outdoor pool and try kill myself off the high board. I remember an Italian cafe place Dechaccis (cant recall exact name)  or something similar where we'd get knickerbocker glories and parents would have tea and bun etc.

Spent many days down at the Harbour as my grandad would be with his buddies in the Chandlers  on the right hand side as you entered into the harbour proper.

I recall getting fresh prawns off a fisherman Johnny Ross who had The Robin and was one of the boats still fishing out of Port Seton. Had an uncle who worked at the smokers in Cockenzie. I am currently trying to locate info on an Uncle who was killed in 1945, William Ross , killed at sea while on my grandfathers fishing boat. He is listed on the War memorial near Lorimer Place Cockenzie.

My grandfather had two or there vessels in his time. That's another area I intend to research.

Does the walled park still exist where the playground and bowling club and I think football park was? That was areal special place for kids in the 60's. The world was safe and there was no danger being left there for a couple of hours without supervision!

Ah, the good old days.

Scotskiwi (Bill)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 May 11 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,

Your memory is very good,  I used to dive off the 33ft diving board, lived in the pool during the summer.The cafe was Di Ciacci's served ice-creams and chips etc, great after all day in the pool. I stayed in Port Seton from 1948 to 1999,now stay in East Kilbride.My house in Port Seton looked onto bowling green,spent many an hour in Bowling Club. I know Johnny Ross, he stayed in North Seton Park, his mum was Mary Black, probably number 14, my gran stayed at number 10.

Tom

Offline Hanrit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 May 13 12:19 BST (UK) »

What I meant was that Wm Ross b 22 April 1938 can't be my ancestor (gt gt grndfather) as the "professional" advised me, as it seems clear that he is actually William Ross b21 August 1921 who married Helen Greig. I worded my reply badly.

I didn't intend  to suggest that Wm Ross born 20 March 1938 didn't exist, I myself had verified his existence but had failed to check that the validity of his marriage to Helen Greig.

Based on everything I have been advised it is not possible for him to be my gtgt grndtfather as was given me when I engaged the genealogist. It means I now have to redo my tree all the way back from him and I currently have over 200 ancestors in the Ross Hogg line and I lose Jackie Crookston on the way probably! A shame, I had become quite attached to her being my 5x Gt grandmother and proud of her being there.

Hopefully I might find a link between her Ross line and my new one back from William Ross b 21 Aug 1821 Tranent Parish Church entry 16780, Parents  were David Ross and Margaret Jonnes (your discovery!)

No matter, lesson learned! I should have been wary when I had to chase the genealogist up several times and threaten to get my payment refunded. At the end of the day I was grateful to get anything even just a pedigree tree in effect. It just highhlights the need to be thorough.

I'm appreciative of the forum which has been very helpful. On the matter of Freereg is that also called FreeBMD?

Scotskiwi

Hi Portonian,

The Ross family you mentioned previously in your post are my family.

I am a  grand-daughter of the John Ross of 14 East Lorimer Place - my Grandma Margaret died I think in 1963 I was very young but I do have photos of her.

My dad was Neil Ross but his full name was David Neilson Ross

His position in the family was 2nd youngest

William Ross known as Bill (Bricklayer) lived in 14 East Loan in Prestonpans till he was over 90years
Hannah Ross married John Allen (Builders) lived in 16 West Lorimer Place both deceased
John Ross known as Jock (Bricklayer) lived with my grandad in Lorimer place for years then married Jean McGlaughlin & lived in North Seton Park both deceased
David Neilson Ross married Isobel Harley Johnston lived 6 West Harbour Road till 1972 then moved to Wester Ross both deceased dad latterley in Dec 2010
Margaret Ross married Peter Lawrence (Polish national)

There are significant numbers of us still alive - many still in Port Seton & Scotland.
My sister in Scotland has lots of old photos that maybe of interest to you.
I also knew of other Ross's in North Seton Park but they were not related to us

I am new to this site so just trying to navigate the functionality of it all.

I hope this can be of assistance to you

Thanks
Hanrit

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 25 May 13 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Hannah,

I hope you don't mind, but I moved the quote to top of post and shortened slightly, hope this OK with you.

Any questions, just ask.

Tom Buchanan

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 25 May 13 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

So, is your grandfather John Marshall Ross born 19 Oct 1884 married Margaret Price Ritchie born 10 June 1889 d 1963? If so then he is definitely my grandfather William's brother. He had sisters Mary Coull Ross, David Ross (d aged 1) Helen Ross b 1893 m William Donaldson and Agnes Marshall Ross d 1913 aged 16.I have no descendant info of these. You are my 'first contact' so to speak.

That would make us 2nd cousins. My father and your father were first cousins. My father David used to visit John in the 60's and 70's in Cockenzie at 14 East Lorimer Place. I only met John once or twice and I was very young when I met him......I think he was a tall man......my dad told me he was anyway.....everyone was tall when I was a lid. I'm 6'3 now though and was heads above all my cousins and uncles! lol.

Of course John and my grandfather were both born in 14 East Lorimer Place. The Ross's have a long history of houses in that street and others around Cockenzie. They also lived on Ross's land in Cockenzie but I've never been able to trace where it was as I'd need to access land records which I can't from New Zealand. I have researched the entire tree (almost) of the Ross's in Port Seton and only lack the info on the generations of the last 100 years really. My father is passed and I have no contacts in Port Seton left either. I have a twin brother, David who lives in Canada by the way.

Your info is of interest and I'd love to engage with your sister re photos etc. I have some of my side but not a lot. I lost much when I emigrated. Long Story.

Our tree goes back to an Alexander Ross and Cristian Brown born c 1675-1677 from what I have discovered.The Ross family in Cockenzie and Port Seton established circa 1744 with a Walter Ross who married one Rachel Hunter. I have over two thousand persons in Port Seton mapped and nearly every major family is in there. We are also related to the Donaldson family and the Crown Princess of Denmark........her father is my 5th cousin......she will be your 5th cousin once removed also! Don't think we could drop in for tea though....

More than happy to share what I have and swap stuff.

Bill Ross
Auckland
NZ