Author Topic: Helen Greig Marriage to William Ross  (Read 39725 times)

Offline slowmo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Greig Marriage to William Ross
« Reply #36 on: Friday 30 August 13 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill

My descent line is from David Ross m Alison Brown then their last born son Alexander m Christina(Christian Coull) then John Ross m Isabella McDonald to William Ross m Jane Jarron to Alexander (Sandy) Ross m Mary Black (my grandparents). They had five children with my mum and Johnny being two of them.

More than happy to exchange tree info with you and your theory on Walter and Rachel.

regards
Stuart

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 30 August 13 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart,

When you mentioned Rock Terrace being the west side of Parish Church towards the Boat Shore, are the foundations still there? I seem to remember foundations being there, just at rear of parish church hall.

I hadn't thought of an earlier building on Johnny Di Ciacci's house and shop. That is a big plot. Might try and search the John Gray Centre online.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline slowmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 30 August 13 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom

Rock terrace was at the west side of the church hall. If you look on google maps satellite view you can see the outline on the grass still. My mum has a painting of the boatshore looking east as it was when she was growing up and rock terrace is in that. the painting was by Jim Johnstone aka Killtheduck for all you that are into bye names  :)

regards
Stuart

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 30 August 13 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart,

I just checked 1901 and 1911 census, and Ross' Close in 1901 and Ross's Close in 1911.

In 1901, no numbers of houses just a schedule number,

154 - Ross' Close Thomas Thomson Fisherman married a Margaret Ross +2 kids
155 - Main St S Side - William Cunningham Carter wife Annie +4 kids
156 -    do     do       - Andrew Buchanan Fisherman (my GrGF) wife Jane + 6 kids
157 -    do  do          - Robert Donaldson wife Annie + 1 kid
158 - South Door Wynd - William Mackie Fisherman wife Annie no kids
159 -    do    do     do    -  David Stewart Fisherman wife Margaret no kids

In 1911  census,  got door numbers but enumerator scored through them, thanks.

32 X Ross's Close - Isabella Donaldson  - private means - 60yo
33  6? do      do   - Robert Frame  Labourer at Pit + 3
34  8   do      do   - Ann Cunningham 55 + 2children
35  7? High Street - Thomas Jarron Fisherman + 6 family
36  6  High Street - Andrew Buchanan Fisherman (My Gr GF) plus 2family
37 (a) Boat Shore  - Alexander Mackie plus 2 family
38 (b) Boat Shore - Peter Horne plus 2
39 (c) Boat Shore - Thomas Jarron Fisherman wife Mary plus 3
40 (d) Boat Shore - Alexander Peden 71 yo living on Private Means plus wife.

So it looks like Ross's Close was at or near the Boat Shore, are the a,b,c and d the houses that stand on the Boat Shore.

Tom

Offline Portonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ross Family Port Seton Photographs
« Reply #40 on: Monday 24 November 14 04:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hannah

Hope you are well.

Thought I'd send you some photographs from my Family Tree Records. I will send a nother message with a few more.

I have loads of images of postcards and their messages which were all found on ebay last year......quite a collection was auctioned off....

regards

Bill
NZ

Offline Hanrit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there Stuart,
I haven't been on this site for a while but just read about 14 North Seton Park - my Uncle Jock (John)Ross lived in number 10 latterly I think with Jean McGlaughlin - he was a builder with my dad (Neil) and a keen photographer - did you know them? I also was at school with Sophia Ross (Fay) from Kay Gardens but she was always at her auntie Bella's in that street too - did you know her? I think they had a boat connection too. I saw some recent footage of old Cockenzie on Fbook recently not sure if the link is permitted but might be of interest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5PApoGLRio&list=UU2fi09-dIkgAg1oOGbRvs1w
chat soon Hannah (in Oz)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 05 April 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there Stuart,
I haven't been on this site for a while but just read about 14 North Seton Park - my Uncle Jock (John)Ross lived in number 10 latterly I think with Jean McGlaughlin - he was a builder with my dad (Neil) and a keen photographer - did you know them? I also was at school with Sophia Ross (Fay) from Kay Gardens but she was always at her auntie Bella's in that street too - did you know her? I think they had a boat connection too. I saw some recent footage of old Cockenzie on Fbook recently not sure if the link is permitted but might be of interest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5PApoGLRio&list=UU2fi09-dIkgAg1oOGbRvs1w
chat soon Hannah (in Oz)

Hi Hannah,

The Ross family stayed at 14 NSP, my grandad, Tom Buchanan stayed at number 10 NSP, he had swapped housed with Murdoch at 44 Inglis Avenue. Both my grandprents were deceased by 1967, so your friends may have stayed in 10 NSP after 1967.

Tom Buchanan

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 05 April 18 17:01 BST (UK) »
I asked if my mum or dad had heard of Ross's Land and they think it was down towards the harbour in Cockenzie. Have you managed to find this out yet? You wouldn't recognise Port Seton now. Speak to you soon, Hannah

Hi all,

Pruned your previous post, however, I think I have found out how it was named "Ross's Land", it will clear up one problem, but lead to many more.

On the 1895 Valuation Records on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk , I find that the proprietor of some houses in South Doors and Ross's Land is a widow, called Helen Ross, a grocer in Cockenzie. Could this be Helen Greig??? My Great Grandfather, Andrew Buchanan is shown at one of the houses in Ross's Land, which I think could be the house on the junction of High Street and South Doors, immediately next to Cockenzie House. My grandfather Thomas Buchanan, was born in August 1895 and his birth certificate, quotes Ross's Land as his birthplace.

The Helen Greig who married William Ross died in 1903, but the 1905 Valuation Records still have her as a widow. In 1915 VR, it is shown as Jane C Ross as proprietor Could this be her daughter?

One question answered , but poses more.

Tom Buchanan

PS Just found that Jane Cleugh Ross is the daughter of David Ross and Helen Steedman not Greig, so these ones are not related, but they are responsible for "Ross's Land"

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 11:10 BST (UK) »

On the 1895 Valuation Records on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk , I find that the proprietor of some houses in South Doors and Ross's Land is a widow, called Helen Ross, a grocer in Cockenzie. Could this be Helen Greig??? My Great Grandfather, Andrew Buchanan is shown at one of the houses in Ross's Land, which I think could be the house on the junction of High Street and South Doors, immediately next to Cockenzie House. My grandfather Thomas Buchanan, was born in August 1895 and his birth certificate, quotes Ross's Land as his birthplace.

The Helen Greig who married William Ross died in 1903, but the 1905 Valuation Records still have her as a widow. In 1915 VR, it is shown as Jane C Ross as proprietor Could this be her daughter?

One question answered , but poses more.

Tom Buchanan

PS Just found that Jane Cleugh Ross is the daughter of David Ross and Helen Steedman not Greig, so these ones are not related, but they are responsible for "Ross's Land"

The Helen Ross, who was marked as widow and Grocer in the Valuation Records, was not a Greig but Helen Steedman who had married David Ross. Helen Steedman Ross died on 21/02 1910, and there is a will on Scotlands People website that can be downloaded for 10 credits. Her daughter Jane Cleugh Ross was marked as proprietor in the 1915 Valuation Records. Jane was born in 1857, died in February 1936 as a spinster, death registered by a nephew. Her occupation was given as a property owner.