Author Topic: Family trees - A funny thing happened!!  (Read 1268 times)

Offline pipj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Family trees - A funny thing happened!!
« on: Monday 25 April 05 11:23 BST (UK) »
Genealogy should come with a warning that a lot of people are really members of some secret society - Haven't you noticed? You try and help somebody doing the same 'tree' as you, obviously half the time they must be some distance/3 times removed/related to Fred's dog/relative, but instead of getting 'Oh thanks for your help' - it's the Spanish Inquisition and not the Monty Phython type either!!!!!
My classic case was - I was sent some old photo's of some very distance relatives, that I forwarded on to 'my relatives'- I thought they would be really pleased. Oh how wrong I was. If a spot light could have been shone down the PC it would have!!! 2 hours of torturous e-mails. Where did you get these from? Who sent them to you?  Why have you got them? and the icing on the cake was - Did you get any money from the 'will' - Since then they're never spoken to me - actually I think that might be a blessing!!!
What I do like about genealogy is the fact that non- relatives couldn't be more helpful, friendly and really go out of their way to help. So the moral of the story - well its got to be the old saying really - You can chose your friends but not your family - How true!!!

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Family trees - A funny thing happened!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 April 05 17:42 BST (UK) »
Very true  ::)

Its amazing what you uncover and the lengths that some members of your "family" go to to stop or delay the skeletons being uncovered.

Offline Allie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 05 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Pipj

How true that is!!
I have had so much help from total strangers which has through my own research turned out to be 100% correct.
Family >:(
If I find out something interesting....they say, i could have told you that
then there is the blanket brick wall...we don't talk about HIM anymore.

How helpful is that :D

What puzzles me sometimes is why do I do this to myself :D :D ;)

Allie x
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Shropshire research interests: Betton, Boliver, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Griffiths, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Rogers, Weston, Wilson

Offline pipj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 April 05 20:22 BST (UK) »

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply I'm glad its not me that has trouble.

I must tell you this story though hopefully it will cheer you up.

Another fellow 'tree-er'  found a relative he didn't know he had. After several attempts he got hold of her address and telephone number. Not wishing to give the poor old dear a heart attack, he sent a letter first explaining who he was, what he was doing and he was so pleased to find her etc etc. A couple of days later he rang her - got a very curt response to the point of the phone being slammed down. 'Oh well' he thought you win some you lose some.  That family must have had some real bad secrets because the next day she was found by another relative burning letters and photo's in the garden!!!!!

Like you say its always the strangers that give 100% so give yourselves all pats on the back. 
I was also told by another very distance relative that when you do get info - pass it on to the others and gloat like hell. I must say it works a treat hee hee!!!!