Author Topic: Orr family Lower Hutt  (Read 9078 times)

Offline Valsgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Orr family Lower Hutt
« on: Wednesday 04 May 11 05:43 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather migrated from Co. Down, Nth Ireland to Lower Hutt in 1928. He was employed all his working life an a gardener (nursery /market gardens) by the Orr family. There were many Orr families in Co Down. I'm thinking it is not by pure coincidence that my Grandparents & their young son arrived in NZ, and straight away found employment at Orr's Gardens. On line I see Robert Orr's Historic Home, where the gardening business would have surrounded. I have tried emailing Orr House, to find the history of the original owner & his family, but have not received a reply.
I have searched Papers Past & found an appropriate 1932 death notice for a Robt Orr, but couldn't find an obituary.
I'd love to know why my Grandfather brought his family to Lower Hutt, while his siblings chose to migrate to USA. Would anyone have details, enabling me to connect Robert Orr & his family to Kilkeel Co Down?
With thanks, Valsgirl

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Orr family Lower Hutt
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 05:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Valsgirl

If you can confirm is death on Nz bmds that would be great.  You could also then search online for the cemetery where robert was buried, there should be burial info that the cemetery can give you, (ring or email them) this  should enable you to find the funeral director.  If you contact the funeral director then they can give you info that might just include where Robert is from and a date of arrival etc.

Did a quick search on found a Robert Murray Orr and a Robert richard Orr in Karori Cemetery one in 1961 & 1969.

http://www.wellington.govt.nz/services/cemeteries/search/details.php?id=20408&Service=Cremation

Hope this helps

Rotosis

Wifes side    
Bayley (Wem & Chester & Canada), Davies(Llandgela), Price (Shropshire), Evans, Healey (Sligo Ireland) Harrison (Cheshire), Brereton (Haslington, Cheshire), Ford (Mow Cop/Haslington, Cheshire)

Husbands side
Plaisted (London UK, Australia & New Zealand), Gillbanks (England to New Zealand) Ridley (Kent to New Zealand) Gordon (Perth Scotland to New Zealand), Hill (Antrim Ireland to New Zealand) Alfuth/Alford (Kokoszki, Poland to New Zealand) Hoppy (Germany? to New Zealand)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Valsgirl,

The Robert Orr death in 1932 was aged about 80 years and buried in Taita Old Cemetery.  Here is the link for the council.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0d2a/

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Robert Orr's Probate.   You can ask for someone to do a look up for you.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0d2c/

Have you checked your SPAM in case the reply from Orr House went there?

Cheers
KHP :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiskeam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 May 11 01:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Valsgirl

For many years I was a resident of Lower Hutt and the Robert Orr family home  was a prominent feature surrounded by expansive market gardens  and employing many people.

For several years I lived very near the house which towered over the neighbourhood.

I understand the house was built around 1885.

The market garden operation ceased in the 1960's and the estate was subdivided.

I shall send you a pm with more information about the house and contact details.

Regards

Kiskeam
Keppel O'Callaghan Riordan Harrington Dwyer Halpin O'Brien

Offline Valsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 May 11 07:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Rotosis, KHP & Kriskeam, for you interest in this query.

Thought, by chance someone may be reaearching this Orr family & know Robert's birtplace. I have:
Robt. Orr (abt 1852 - 1932)  married Ellen Burt, in NZ 1886
Their sons
Thomas William (1887 - 1958) m Maude Violet Sommerville (abt 1883 -1967), in NZ 1917
Robert Richard (1889 - 1961) m Myra Kinniburgh Hill. in NZ 1912
I have no certificates. The above details have been sourced from NZbmd online.
I could, if my curiosity becomes too great, buy Robert's death Certificate, hoping that the details given are correct.
My Grandmother's death certificate states she was born in Scotland, because that is what my father, who gave the details, believed. I've discovered she was born in Co Antrim, as were her ancestors on both sides back for at least 3 generations!
I'll follow up the Taita Cemetery lead.
Thanks again, Valsgirl

Offline DonL

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Albert Clarence & Rosie Lindale with daughters
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 04:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, there was an Orr family living in Kingston Street, Lower Hutt in the 1950s - the chuildren attended Dyer Street School, Boulcott Scholl and Naenae College.

If they are related, it might be worth checking on www.oldfriends.co.nz -  Donald Orr was a very good tennis player from memory

DonL
04/12/1938 - Jan 16th 2021
Lindale/Lindhal/Lindahl - Scandanavia - Denmark- Sweden
Olsen ,Christiansen - Norway
Bergstrom, Lamberg, Pasche- Sweden
Crundwell,Myers,Wilson -UK
Byrne,Miskelly,McGrevy,McGreavy, McGreevy -Ireland
Swanson, Newman
Chrestenson,Whitmore
St Romain//de St Romain,Nozace-Reunion
de Silva -Argentina, The Philippines

Offline Valsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 05:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks DonL,
I'm a member of that school site & have found it very helpful for family history research. Didn't think of using it to find Orrs.
Can't see any Orr family registered at the schools you mention, but have sent an email to Nigel Orr, now living in Lower Hutt, so will see if that brings me luck.
I did send another email, last week to Robert Orr House, but again they haven't replied.
I appreciate you showing an interest in my query & reminding me to look on "oldfriends".
Valsgirl

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 May 11 23:49 BST (UK) »

Would anyone have details, enabling me to connect Robert Orr & his family to Kilkeel Co Down?
With thanks, Valsgirl

Hi Valsgirl

The Petone Library now houses all heritage material for Hutt City, and I'm sure they will be able to assist you with further info regarding Robert ORR.

Try this link   >>

http://www.library.huttcity.govt.nz/Leisure--culture/Libraries/Family-and-local-history/

A search on the catalogue brings up 17 hits for "Robert ORR", amongst which is a publication entitled "Keeping it in the Family" (mentioning that 3 generations of Robert's family were raised in the house.)   [Hopefully this might contain some genealogical info. ? ]  ;)

~  Lu