Author Topic: James McCulloch ROBERTSON (landscape artist)  (Read 6990 times)

Offline hsteller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James McCulloch ROBERTSON (landscape artist)
« on: Wednesday 04 May 11 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hello All

My name is Helen and I am new to RootsChat, but I though I would try posting this and see if I get any "nibbles".

I am researching a g.g.g.g. uncle, James McCulloch ROBERTSON, who was born at St Davids, Dalgety, Fife, Scotland on 28 Apr 1869 the son of William & Jane Robertson nee AITKEN.  James died at Salisbury Rhodesia on 16 Mar 1938 (I got this from the National Probate Register in England).  I think he went under the name of McCulloch Robertson.  His first wife was Margaret Brown WELLWOOD, but I don't think she ever went to South Africa.  Another wife was Adelaide Mary Robertson, but I know nothing about her.

Does anyone know anything further of James McCulloch Robertson?

regards, Helen (Newcastle, NSW, Australia)

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James McCulloch ROBERTSON (landscape artist)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 May 11 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen I saw a post for records of Rhodesia.Go to Familysearch website then select continent Africa then you will see Death notices and Records for Zimbabwe.Tried looking but the Death records were mixed up on frame 81 started with deaths about Feb 1938 onwards but in between there are some from earlier years.Have a look but there are 541 frames for 1938 alone!!!

Cheers Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline hsteller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 May 11 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek thank you so much for the tip - I FOUND HIM, and his wife, and the names of two sons and a daughter.  I am still digesting all this info.  thank you Helen

Offline PhilippaCPG

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 October 14 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen - Are you still looking for information about James McCulloch Robertson?  I have inherited a watercolour by him.

Offline hsteller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 October 14 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philippa - I sure am still looking for him.  I have found a little more about him since my last post, but the death I found in Rhodesia was not him.  I have found a few of his works by googling, but would love to know more of your watercolour. Helen

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 November 14 13:01 GMT (UK) »
I have found his estate file in the South African National Archives, so I would think that he probably had lived here for a while at least!

This file is held in Cape Town.  Although the archives will copy the paperwork for you for a small fee the will only post the information to you. We have had a postal strike for the last three months  ::) so I would suggest you put out another plea asking if anyone can perhaps get the copies for you.   

DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MOOC                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 6/9/5196                                                             
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 62106                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          ROBERTSON, JAMES. ALSO KNOWN AS JAMES MCCULLOCH ROBERTSON. ESTATE     
           PAPERS.                                                             
STARTING  19380000                                                             
ENDING    19380000   
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline jenner1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen

I don't know if you're still looking for info on James McCullogh Robertson but he was married to my great aunt Adelaide Cesari (she was always known as Doddie).  They married in Cape Town on 2nd November 1927.  I also have one of his watercolours given to me by my father who remembered meeting him and saying that he was a very nice man.  I also have relatives in Australia who have some of his pictures as one of Doddie's brothers emigrated out there and he must have inherited them when she died.