Author Topic: Help ! Duff Family in Scotland  (Read 15188 times)

Offline sesd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Help ! Duff Family in Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 10:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I left out a Generation.

Jane Skinner, daughter of Walter, born 29 Nov 1813 in Tarbat By Fearn, Ross & Cromarty (which includes Portmahomack) married 13 Dec 1833 in Tain, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland, Alexander MacKay born abt 1800.

Their daughter Ann born 23 Apr 1843 in Tain, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland married in Tain, 12 Feb 1856, David Duff born 02 Sep 1835 in Tarbat By Fearn.

I don't have exact dates for Walter Skinner and Janet Ross.

I will give you more, if you want, just ask.

Everyone wants to go touring now.

Sharon
Duff, Stewart, McEachern, McCann, McDougall, Walters, Beynon, Griggs, Smith, Mellor, Haigh, Gayfer, Bird, Burnside, McCool, Lowrey, Skinner, Tolmie, McIntosh, Proctor, Broadhead, Biernes, Winn, Woodley, Wyman, Robertson, Young, Cochrane, Carson, O'Malley, McKnight, Grose, Currie, Valentine, Higginson, Gillespie, Avery, Black, Moon, Richardson, Harvey, Cowling

Offline JohannaSandberg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 10:28 BST (UK) »
Aaah okej. ! So Jane Skinner and Janet Skinner was sisters ?

I would love to know more about the Duff family if you know anything else. It's hard to find out anything without paying loads ! =/

Do you know anything about David Duff & Ann MacKay's son (b 18 mar 1862)Alexander Duff (married to Elizabeth Jamieson b. 1868?) It's from Alexander my boyfriend comes from. But we know nothing about Elizabeth Jamieson or well...anything but Alexanders birth and their marrige date. I dont know how many kids they got or anything.

I hope you are having fun, and that the weather is nice over there =)
¨
Johanna

Duff, Brophy, Jamieson, Murray Baxter

Offline ShashF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

I've just registered on rootschat and came across your post regarding the Duff's.  I am trying to trace my tree in South Africa but I've hit a brick wall.  Would you by any chance know of a Robert Alexander Duff (I'm told he came from Glasgow, Scotland) that suddenly disappeared between 1870 - 1888.  My great grandfather 'appeared' in South Africa and the only reference I can find is a marriage transcription dated 1888 (full age)with no other info about him.  The reason when, why and how he came to South Africa I just can't find out from anyone.  I don't have his date of birth or parents names or any info at all which makes it very difficult to trace.  I don't even know when or where he died as none of my family that I am in contact with know anything about him.  I was hoping that someone might have a missing person that by some slim chance might be him. I would be very grateful if you could have a quick check and let me know.  Regards Sharon P.S. It's not a typo ... I'm also a Sharon.

Please see separate post here:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,555056.msg4078748.html
DUFF - South Africa, Scotland
PALMER - South Africa
DAY - Warwickshire, England
FRAUENSTEIN - South Africa
LENTZ - South Africa

Offline stevepaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 01 April 12 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanna
I have just found out that my Grandmother  who is 89 yrs old is the Grandaugter of Alexander and Elizabeth Duff her maiden name is Alexandrena Duff Carnie.
Her mother and father lived in Newhaven in Edinburgh Scotland she had 3 sisters and 2 brothers.
Alexander and Elizabeth had nine children 5 girls and 4 boys. Jim Duff,Daniel Duff,Walter Duff are the names she could remember. Walter was known to my Gran as Uncle Berty he was in the Navy and his Grandson Paul Duff lives near me in Broxburn West Lothian Scotland.
Hope this helps and you have now got me interested in looking deeper into my family tree.

Offline Mark Forsyth

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • RBS working, whisky drinking, celtic man. HH
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 October 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
Walter and Ann duff are my great great great grandparents. I have the family tree down to me if you would like it?

Offline Gillyt12

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hey just came across this be it a couple of years later  my family are the duffs originally from portmahomack. My grandad was brought up in leith and this is his parents names. What is connection with yourself?