Author Topic: Old IRA Dublin Brigade  (Read 211659 times)

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline fabfamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Old IRA Dublin Brigade
« Reply #433 on: Friday 01 December 17 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Thomas O'Grady and Family on 1911 Census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003646899/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wicklow/Aughrim/Aughrim_Town__part_of/895380/

And you have a Topic started on Thomas OGrady here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=783303.msg6379613#msg6379613

Hi Chinapaddy, Thanks for your research,  I do already have the Census info for his family,  I just posted in this post because I was hoping for some info regarding the story of involvement in IRA. Apologies if unclear or posting in wrong place.

Offline fabfamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: Friday 01 December 17 16:05 GMT (UK) »
To my thinking (happy to be corrected) the dates don't quite add up, once the Civil War ended in 1923, there wasn't much activity for his friend to get captured in.
Keep in mind that the British left in 1922 so if Thomas and his friend was still active in the 'Old' IRA after 1922 it means he was anti-treaty and his 'enemy' would be the Irish National Army/ Irish Free State.

I'm not saying the family story isn't true but it may turn out it lost something in the telling over the years.

Hi, thanks for this, as you can probably tell, my details are vague and my knowledge of events even vaguer. But I do have a recording, which lead me to believe the gist of story is based on a truth.
So I'm wondering if what you suggest is the case, are there any available record for people who were active in the 'Old' IRA after 1922?   
I think I already know the answer but figure worth a shot.. Thank you

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: Friday 01 December 17 17:10 GMT (UK) »
That's the trouble with illegal organisations, only records tend to be when they get arrested, killed or name turns up in a book or the like.
If he served before 1922 he may have applied for a pension, they are not all online yet, it's a work in progress.
http://www.militaryarchives.ie/collections/online-collections/military-service-pensions-collection

Offline fabfamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: Friday 01 December 17 17:39 GMT (UK) »
If he served before 1922 he may have applied for a pension, they are not all online yet, it's a work in progress.
http://www.militaryarchives.ie/collections/online-collections/military-service-pensions-collection

Thanks for the link, I’ll take a look, although as he never returned to Ireland, I doubt any pension was applied for. Just wondering would anyone be able to recommend a book, about IRA activities around that time, particularly interested in Aughrim area? Would like to get a better understanding of the life and times Thanks again 

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: Friday 01 December 17 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello fabfamilytree,

I came across the following Witness Statements that mention a Thomas O'Grady, might be a long shot but worth checking out

W.S. REF - 1320 Michael J Ryan, Captain I.R.A. Galway 1921 mentions a Thomas O'Grady on page 15

W.S. REF - 1210 Michael Carroll member of I.R.A., Dublin 1921 mentions a T.O'Grady on page 9

W.S. REF - 1437 Thomas Nohilly, Captain I.R.A. Galway, 1921 mentions a Thomas O'Grady on page 9

There may be others

Good Luck in your research

CSM

Offline fabfamilyTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: Friday 01 December 17 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello fabfamilytree,

I came across the following Witness Statements that mention a Thomas O'Grady, might be a long shot but worth checking out

W.S. REF - 1320 Michael J Ryan, Captain I.R.A. Galway 1921 mentions a Thomas O'Grady on page 15

W.S. REF - 1210 Michael Carroll member of I.R.A., Dublin 1921 mentions a T.O'Grady on page 9

W.S. REF - 1437 Thomas Nohilly, Captain I.R.A. Galway, 1921 mentions a Thomas O'Grady on page 9

There may be others

CSM

Thank you I have just located and saved them, had a quick read of first, was uncertain about Galway but see that one is set in Dublin..so possible. Either way, looks like a very interesting resource!
Thank you very much  :-)

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: Friday 01 December 17 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi watchman , yes thats were they were brought up, my mother used to go in with her father bill every sunday to see my great grandparents, she'd know the exact adress.

Hi John Holland,

I,ve been up to my attic rummaging and I found the reference to Hayden Corri. Years back I was researching in the National Archives and I came across an interesting envelope of Special Branch photographs of IRA members c.1930. There is (was) eight photographs in all. When I asked was he living in Pearse Square I was mistaken, I was mixing him up with a Fred 'Boner' Lawlor who lived at that address. From memory, I think Hayden Corri lived at Pearse Street (I cannot recall where I got that from, maybe it's on the back of the photographs) I read a lot of republican/left wing material at the time and something impressed these addresses on  my mind. One of the photographs is that of a Willie Rowe. Willie was on the ASU in 1921 and was in 'E' Coy. 3rd Battalion. He was also a brigadier in Na Fianna and was anti Treaty and was interned. It's a funny old world, here he is being hunted by the Special Branch in 1930 and in 1934 he becomes a 'Broy Harrier', hunting down his former comrades.

Hope I've been of assistance. If you want a reference for those photographs, send me an email via the moderator.

Watchman1

Hi Watchman1,
you are correct about Haydn and William Corri living at 135 Great Brunswick Street (name changed to Pearse Street in 1923). Their father Stephen was born at Queen Square (Name changed to Pearse Square 1924).
 the Corri's living at Pearse Square would be related to Haydn and William. Their grandfather , landscape artist Valentine Corri, lived in Queen Square all his life.
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: Friday 01 December 17 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello fabfamilytree,

There may be others

CSM

Thank you I have just located and saved them, had a quick read of first, was uncertain about Galway but see that one is set in Dublin..so possible. Either way, looks like a very interesting resource!
Thank you very much  :-)

Don't forget to keep in mind what age he would have been at any given time they speak of.