Author Topic: Old IRA Dublin Brigade  (Read 211475 times)

Offline CRUMLIN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old IRA Dublin Brigade 4th Batt, memorial mass,Rosary HaroldsCross kristof
« Reply #441 on: Thursday 01 February 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »
 I have a copy of the mass card One side only

Offline CRUMLIN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Old IRA Dublin Brigade
« Reply #442 on: Thursday 01 February 18 22:21 GMT (UK) »
My Dad, was Charles Edward Morris, lived at 130 then 74 Harold's Cross Rd, He was in the 4th Batt, No 1 Dublin Brigade G Company, He was interned in Ballykindlar, in Jan 1921 to Jan 1923, No 816 ,Hut 5,  D Company,  He was also interned in Gormanstown, No 172, No 1 Cook House,  from 25 Jan 1922 till 7 Jan 1923, I have his diary's from both camps with lots of names of his camp mates, But nothing on his service, at all.   has any one any info on him Please. He was born 21/10/1894,  died 19/01/1953

Offline kavo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: Friday 26 July 19 19:49 BST (UK) »
My grandad was James (Seamus) Kavanagh from 4 Coolevin Road, Dublin 8. He was born on 23rd July 1896. He was 18 years old when he cycled to Howth (on Dublin's North Side where I grew up) on July 26th 1914 with other volunteers and secured a rifle in the gun running from Erskine Childers yacht "The Asgard".

At the time of the Irish rising on Easter Monday 1916, James (Seamus) was a member of Boland's Mill Garrison where Commander-in-Chief of that garrison was Eamon DeValera. Interestingly, grandads best friend was Simon Donnelly also a volunteer and was one of the few who ever escaped from Kilmainham jail. A plaque to this effect in his memory is mounted in the jail at Kilmainham. Grandad was a fluent Irish speaker which I think was a requirement of the Irish Republican Brotherhood in the 1913-1916 period. This was an organisation then preceding the IRA. The reason for learning the Irish language was that if gave the members their own national identity. To this end fluent Irish speakers wore the Gold Fáinne in their lapels and less proficient members in their fluency wore a Silver Fáinne. My dad still has my grandads Gold Fáinne from that period.

On Easter Monday 1916, in the morning, Simon Donnelly and other volunteers called to my grandads house at 8 Bishop Street, Dublin. As grandad did not want to upset his mother, he told her that he, Simon and the others were going hiking and doing exercises in the Dublin mountains. Afterwards, in letters exchanged from his prison cell in Wakefield Prison England, grandad apologised to his mother for not telling her of his part in the Easter Monday Rising. On that day, grandad made his way with the others to Grand Canal Street, Boland's Mill, to meet up with the other members of his garrison and the O/C Eamon DeValera. From there he was sent to occupy an area at Mount Street bridge which turned out to be the most successful of the 1916 rebellion against the British. This area of the bridge and Northumberland Road, would have been a main route from Kingstown (now known as Dun Laoghaire) for the British soldiers arriving from England. This turned out to be the area of heaviest fighting with the most deaths - mainly the British "Sherwood Foresters" I am told. Grandad was eventually captured with other volunteers and marched to "Kingstown" for transport to England. He threw a small leather purse, en-route, to a crowd of bystanders with a note enclosed requesting, "Dear Friend - would you please bring this to my mother in 8 Bishop Street" informing her of his capture and safety. Dad still has this purse and its contents.

He was transported to Wakefield Prison and after some months was brought to Frongoch Internment Camp in Wales. The camp was originally built as a whiskey distillery and then used as an internment camp for German prisoners of war in WW1. It was badly burnt and not fit to house so many prisoners, rat infested etc. It consisted of a North and South camp. Grandad became a Captain in the South camp. It is interesting to note that Michael Collins was imprisoned there with grandad. As grandad was not an officer (to begin with) he could not attend officers meetings. It was in Frongoch camp that the IRA was first started. Dad has a lot of the letters exchanged between grandad and his mother at that time, all opened by the censor and needing approval before being passed to prisoners. Dad intends donating all this material to the 1916 museum at Collins Barracks in Dublin. Grandad was eventually released from Frongoch and returned to Dublin.

He was awarded three medals by the Irish Government:
1. 1916 Easter Rising
2. Black & Tan War 1916-1922
3. 1940 medal as Captain in the army

Grandad was requested by the Dept. of Defence to vet the applications for participants in the 1916 rising for veteran pensions. The Dept. of Defence must have valued his opinion and approval of these applicants. A lot of these letters of application are still in my dads possession.

Offline kavo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: Saturday 27 July 19 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi JEK248, the photo of Capt Kavanagh is my grandad, James (Seamus) Kavanagh. When he became fluent in Irish he changed his first name (James) to the Irish translation (Seamus).

Offline kavo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: Saturday 27 July 19 19:52 BST (UK) »
The Seamus Kavanagh Grave photo is my uncle Brendan at his dads grave. I take it you are married to either Roy, Gloria or Paul?

Offline SG Williams

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Probably a long shot here but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the activities of the B Company 3rd Batallion Dublin Brigade during the War of Independance? I've only just found this thread by accident when I was directed to an image posted of the members of the 3rd Batallion but that post was back in 2012. My Great Grandad Patrick O'Neill was listed  on the image as Patick. He would have only been 18-20 years old at the time. He never spoke of his activities during this time and I'd be interested in knowing more of what he might have been up to. His daughter, my Grandmother, was under the impression that he drove for Eoin MacNeill and even for Michael Collins on one or two occasions but after that we're completely in the dark on most of his early life.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello SGWilliams and welcome to Rootschat

Have you looked at the military archives online
There are a few Patrick O'Neill's listed and if he is one you will be able to see his records
http://mspcsearch.militaryarchives.ie/brief.aspx

If he is here I suggest you also search the records of the people named as they often hold further descriptions and comments that can relate to others.

Not all are online yet - hope this proves fruitful!
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline margnip2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the Custom House Commemoration Group on Facebook?  The 3rd Battalion where involved so you can ask there and I am sure you will get replies for at least that.
Dublin-Byrne, Doyle,
Kildare - Mooney, Fox
County Cavan-Flynn, Donohoe
London-Pingram, Cowell
Oxfordshire-French, Hunt
Tamworth Staffordshire-Chiles, Marson

Offline capel street man

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello SG Williams,

Check out the latest release from the Military Service Pensions Collection
http://www.militaryarchives.ie/collections/online-collections/military-service-pensions-collection-1916-1923/release-history/november-2020-release

By coincidence, I was looking through the list and came across 4 no Patrick O'Neill's, all from the Dublin area
Patrick O'Neill - 24SP5010
Patrick O'Neill - 4P389
Patrick O'Neill - 4P366
Patrick O'Neill - 4P469

As mentioned above, the Military Service Pension Collection holds a wealth of information, and lists of members of the different companies of the Dublin Brigade

I wish you well in your research

Good Luck

CSM