Author Topic: Modified! Did Robert Whyte marry at 14 yrs old?  (Read 8334 times)

Offline safarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Modified! Did Robert Whyte marry at 14 yrs old?
« on: Monday 25 April 05 13:58 BST (UK) »
Boy, was I ever confused...I have corrected what I should have written the first time. Hope it makes more sense now.

Robert White Nicol (b. abt 1855) married Jane Scott Nov 7, 1890 in Govan, Glasgow, Scotland. They married and lived in Govan and I have found most of the 14 children's birth records at High Church, Glasgow. I have not found them on any census yet as the children were born from 1891-1910 and only 7 reached adulthood. (I'm denied access to the newer census sites)

Robert's father,  Henry Nicol b. 1832 married July 14,1854 to Christina Whyte

Christina's father  Robert Whyte b. 1806 m. Christian Gilmour in 1820

Here's my confusion: 
 ???
Christina's father Robert Whyte was born Mar 10, 1806 and christened Mar 16, 1806 Kinnettles, Angus, Scotland  (he m. Christian Gilmour)

The marriage dates we have (Oct 22, 1820, and also Nov 17, 1820) would have made Robert Whyte only 14 years old when he married?  Is this possible, and where would I be able to find out if either of these dates are valid? I can't find them on any of the census that are available to me.

Dorothy
White--Scotland
Nicol--Scotland
Wicks--England and Canada
Turpett--England and Wales
Benjafield...England and Canada

Offline anne jane

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Modified! Did Robert Whyte marry at 14 yrs old?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 April 05 07:45 BST (UK) »
Dorothy

I have found info on the poor laws concerning a Henry Nicol, parents were Thomas Nicol Mary Ramsay,
 who was married twice first wife was Christina White and second was Mary Cross. 

If this is your relative please let me know and I will send the details on to you

Janie
meehan, hughes, falloon, mctague, connelly, clark, kazlaukas,johnstone, mcguigan, fenton, mcneil,shaw, thomson

Offline safarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 April 05 07:59 BST (UK) »
A lot of people had the same names...so it would depend on when this Henry was married to Christina.

My Henry Nicol Married Christina in 1854, but was definitely not with her 15 yrs later.  ( not sure where he was in between) This could be my answer so I should have the info..

Ramsay was used as a middle name in descendants.

Thanks
Dorothy
White--Scotland
Nicol--Scotland

Offline safarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 April 05 10:15 BST (UK) »
Janie

I couldn't figure out what to do as far as replying back to you ....It was the first time I got  a message that way and didn't see a "reply" thing???

Anyway....Thank You for the poor law info. This is definitely my family. ..and it does answer a few of our questions.

Now I wonder when Christina died?   
Robert had run away from home when he was 15  and changed his name.  We heard that he ran away because he didn't llike his stepfaher??  I wonder if it was his own father Henry that he was running from?

Thanks again,
Dorothy
White--Scotland
Nicol--Scotland

Offline anne jane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 April 05 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

Glad to be of some help.  There is another application made in the name of Christina Whyte but as it contained very little info I wasn't able to match it up to your family but I do remember that 1 of her children had the name Ramsay as a middle name so the next time I am at the Mitchell I will get the info for you

Janie
meehan, hughes, falloon, mctague, connelly, clark, kazlaukas,johnstone, mcguigan, fenton, mcneil,shaw, thomson

Offline safarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 April 05 10:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks ....these are Henry & Christina's children's names. (same as on the poor law)  ALso in the next generation the Ramsay name was a middle name for one of the children.

1. *ROBERT WHITE NICOL*
     Male                             
Birth/Christening:  10 JUL 1855 (used. May 1861)  CDistrict, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

2. CHRISTINA NICOL     (died before age of 5yrs.)
     Female             
Birth/Christening: 27 SEP 1856      High Church, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

3. JANET WHITE NICOL     
     Female         
Birth/Christening: 06 NOV 1857      High Church, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

4. MARGARET RAMSAY NICOL    
     Female         
Birth/Christening: 23 FEB 1860      High Church, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

5. HENRY NICOL     
     Male         
Birth/Christening: 24 DEC 1867      High Church, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

Dorothy
White--Scotland
Nicol--Scotland

Offline anne jane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 April 05 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

If I remember right the application was made around 1866/67 and the earlier poor law applications tended not to contain a lot of info.  From the info you have now given me it looks like a match so I will get the details some time this week and send it on to you

Janie

Offline safarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 April 05 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Janie,

This Poor Law Application was made Jan 21, 1889.

Yes, everything fits perfectly, even right down to the stories we heard about being a barber..doing hairdressing etc.

Also on this one it accounts for the children's  marriages and whereabouts....but specifically states "cannot say where" for Robert,  the one that left home at 15. (He was 33yrs old  here and had distanced himself from family long before that)

What a breakthrough for me! 
Thank you so much!
I'lll be watching the board...

Dorothy
White--Scotland
Nicol--Scotland

Offline anne jane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 April 05 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy

Here is the info that I found on the poor law application made by Christina White Nicol

D-hew 10/6/34/99

Name of applicant Christina White Nicol

Address 77 Drygate backland

Place of birth 37 Rottenrow

Hour and date of inspectors visit 12.30pm 14 th August 1866

Married, housewife, deserted,
 age 33, Protestant

Name and age of dependents Robert White age 11, Janet White age 9 and Margaret Ramsay age 7

Remarks  When visited I saw the children but not the pauper.  She is living in a miserable lodging.  Left word that the poorhouse is open for her and children

Reaplies from 77 Drygate.  Husband in prison.  Poorhouse for her and children but did not go in.

I done a search of the applications for the children but found nothing on them

Janie