Author Topic: Crowe family Dundee.  (Read 7513 times)

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crowe family Dundee.
« on: Thursday 05 May 11 13:30 BST (UK) »

The above image is a lovely ink drawing measuring 4.5” by 3.5.” that I obtained on e bay.  The border around the picture consist of forget-me-not flowers each individually drawn. The drawing is signed by R. Crowe.

I have subsequently found out from the Commonwealth War Graves Commision that a Sergeant (Air Gnr.) Robert Frederick Crowe was lost 25th July 1944 in 15 Squadron Lancaster LM121 and was the son of Magnus McKay Crowe and of Mary Forbes Crowe, (nee Huband), of Dundee.

This sad little item really intrigues me, who was the broken hearted recipient that Robert sent his valentine to?  She obviously kept it for over 60 years until I purchased it some four years age from an e bay seller.

Can anyone out there add to the story?

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Crowe family Dundee.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 July 11 16:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks to a lead supplied bt Rootschatter snowolf I am pleased to be able to tell the forum that I managed to track down the neice of Robert Crowe who lives in Canada.

She was most intrigued by the valentine card which I subsequently gave to her. She in return sent me a picture of Robert which is posted below.

The only question that remains is who did Robert send the valentine to? I guess we will never know.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 July 11 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Thanks for the update  :)

I remember when you first posted this back in May and thinking what a sad poignant story it was (and now that you have included Robert Crowe's photograph, I am sad again!).

How great that you have at least made progress to a descendant of Robert Crowe  :) Might be the intended recipient of the valentine card will have to remain a continuing secret  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline derekcrowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 September 11 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hello, you have also tracked down his nephew! My father, Frederick Huband Crowe was his brother. My Father passed away 2 years ago this January, but I think his.. and Roberts sister (Alison M*****) still lives in Dundee.
Thankyou for a jog to my vague memory, Id be more than interested in learning more and if you feel I can be of any help please feel free to contact me

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 September 11 10:16 BST (UK) »
hi Derek

welcome to rootschat  :)

i have amended your first post to hide details of a possible living person and
correct other details

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline AREAD

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 November 11 19:39 GMT (UK) »
This is my mother's cousin.  Bob's mother, Mary, was the sister of Beatrice Hogg Huband who married and moved to Newcastle Upon Tyne.  To my knowledge once my grandmother married my grandfather Beatrice and Mary rarely met, although Mary's other sister, Jean, often came to Newcastle for holidays.  My mother has two brothers and they all remember visiting their grandmother in Dundee.  My mother has a newspaper cutting reporting Robert Crowe as 'missing presumed dead'.

Offline c0verdale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 February 12 02:15 GMT (UK) »
This post is directed to "derekcrowe"

Hi Derek, I am the husband of your cousin from Canada, would there be anyway to get in contact with you ?  I am hesitant in posting my e-mail here as I'm not too familiar with this site, and cannot see your e-mail address when I look at your profile .... can anyone help with this ??
I see your post was from last year, hope your checking this thread from time to time, I know that she would be very interested in talking to you.
My wife is the youngest daughter of your fathers' brother Magnus, who passed away back in the summer of 1998.

Thanks from Canada.

Offline David Layne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 February 12 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello, you have also tracked down his nephew! My father, Frederick Huband Crowe was his brother. My Father passed away 2 years ago this January, but I think his.. and Roberts sister (Alison M*****) still lives in Dundee.
Thankyou for a jog to my vague memory, Id be more than interested in learning more and if you feel I can be of any help please feel free to contact me

I have had contact with one of your Canadian relatives, let me know if you are interested and I will hook you up.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 February 12 08:53 GMT (UK) »
All this activity, the day before Valentine's Day, seems very apt  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk