Author Topic: Photograph of Three Queens Inn/Pub, Thomas St, Bristol  (Read 4895 times)

Offline rachykins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photograph of Three Queens Inn/Pub, Thomas St, Bristol
« on: Saturday 07 May 11 15:18 BST (UK) »
My Great-Grandmother was landlady of the Three queens in Thomas St (listed as being landlady between 1935-1938). The pub was bombed out we believe during WW2.

We've been looking for years for a picture of the pub but haven't been able to find one anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions at all on where we should look ???  Have even tried books of old bristol pubs with no luck.

Any information gratefully received!!!

Rachael

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Photograph of Three Queens Inn/Pub, Thomas St, Bristol
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 May 11 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
No picture I am afraid, but, have you looked at the brief article about the Inn on here.

http://www.bristolinformation.co.uk/pubs/

Enetr three queens in the search box and use the match all tag.
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline rachykins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 May 11 22:29 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks though!

Also have the info from http://bristolslostpubs.eu/ which lists her as Landlady.

Hope to find a pic one day :)

Offline Crystalgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 January 17 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I was chatting to my mother yesterday (7.1.17) about her early life (she is 89) and she mentioned a friend from Bristol called Marjorie Wyatt who lived at the Three Queens pub in Bristol.  Mum said that the pub was bombed in the war and Marjorie let the horses out of the stables so they may live.  (I presume they were dray horses).  Marjorie apparently suffered an injury of a piece of glass in her foot.  I googled the Three Queens pub and found this website.   I also have two pictures of (I presume) Majorie and her husband (called Mr Mcgill ? or Macgill ?)    I have only just found all this out :)  .   Mum does not have any pictures of the pub.  She was wondering how Marjorie got on in life and what has become of her.   

Offline rachykins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 January 17 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I was chatting to my mother yesterday (7.1.17) about her early life (she is 89) and she mentioned a friend from Bristol called Marjorie Wyatt who lived at the Three Queens pub in Bristol.  Mum said that the pub was bombed in the war and Marjorie let the horses out of the stables so they may live.  (I presume they were dray horses).  Marjorie apparently suffered an injury of a piece of glass in her foot.  I googled the Three Queens pub and found this website.   I also have two pictures of (I presume) Majorie and her husband (called Mr Mcgill ? or Macgill ?)    I have only just found all this out :)  .   Mum does not have any pictures of the pub.  She was wondering how Marjorie got on in life and what has become of her.

Hi! How lovely to hear a little snippet of my family history from you. Marjorie (nee Wyatt) is my great aunt :) my Nan is Patricia her sister. There was also Dick & Barbara who have both passed away. Their mother was Laura Lillian Wyatt.
My Nan can remember the exact date & time the incendiary bomb fell on the roof of the Three Queens. They were all in the cellar as the sirens were going off, when somebody they knew came down to tell them to leave as the roof was on fire. Nan talks about when she would hop on the back of the dray-pulled carts. They were from George's brewery which was at the back of the Three Queens. Nan has a long story she recants about that night. What they did, where they had to look around for shelter & I think they ended up at St Mary Redcliffe. When they went back to the pub it was in cinders. Marjorie is still very much alive & still married to Mac! They still live in Bristol. What is your mothers name? I don't often see great auntie Marj but can pass a message on via my Nan. I finally got to see what the Three Queens looked like. It was a picture taken above Bristol but will see if I can find it, so that you can show your Mother.
Thanks for getting in touch!
Rachael

Offline Crystalgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 January 17 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi - !! so excited you found the message !    My mothers name before she married was Joan Lane.  She married my father, James (Jim) Robinson. He was a sailor !    He sadly passed away about 30 years ago.    Mum went on to have me and my brother.   We had children too.   

Offline rachykins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 January 17 20:45 GMT (UK) »
This is the Three Queens on the corner with the yard & stables behind. I will speak to my Nan this week!

Offline Crystalgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 January 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Oh WOW !  I have two photos I can upload.  How do I do that on this site ?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 January 17 22:49 GMT (UK) »
When you click on "Reply", next click on "Attachments and other options".

You can browse for your attachments!

Just a few points:
Each photo must be less than 500KB.
Each must have a name that is unique within RootsChat ;D
(I usually add my initials to the original filename!)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)