Author Topic: The Retreat, Wantz Road, Maldon  (Read 8858 times)

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Retreat, Wantz Road, Maldon
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 February 13 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Grandmapage,  I was interested that you had been working on the Retreat, at Maldon. As I mentioned William Morter Wheatley was my Gt grandfather, and a cousin and I have been trying to find out all we can about him and the Retreat. Matilda Chatfield nee Wheatley was one of Williams daughters. Can you remember if there were any photos of her, and any photos of the retreat?  We both have copies of 'Journey of Faith' Very interesting.
Glad that your mother enjoyed her stay there Yladnhoj, do you know any more about her stay?
                     llandinam

Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert

Offline yladnhoj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 February 13 11:05 GMT (UK) »

Glad that your mother enjoyed her stay there Yladnhoj, do you know any more about her stay?
                     llandinam

No, I don't really know anymore about that stay. She returned to Maldon in 1925, 1926 and 1927. I don't know whether she stayed at the Retreat on these occasions but I suspect she may have done. I have several photos of when she was in Maldon some of her and her two sisters but others of people I don't know such as the one below which was taken in 1927. 

John

Offline will88um

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 July 13 12:09 BST (UK) »
I and my brother and sister spent 2 years in The Retreat in Maldon 1936-1938. I believe the home closed as the war was imminent.  I was 8 years old when we left there and my brother and sister were younger. As far as I can recall we were very happy there.

Offline JohnEdmundson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 08:13 BST (UK) »