Author Topic: Walton Park Cemetery, Liverpool  (Read 44568 times)

Offline liverbird09

• RootsChat Veteran
  • socken
    • View Profile
Re: Walton Park Cemetery, Liverpool
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 19:34 BST (UK) »
I went by bus to the museum 2nd floor, where they are keeping the records temporarily while the library is being refurbished~only had 1 hour on the reader, bit of a race but did manage to find a marriage for one of mine too. A successful trip.
The workhouse death was caused by excessive drinking~ inflammation of the lungs and only 23!

Offline JillStatton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 07:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Dobby, for the great pics of the cemetery.  Am tardy in replying as my computer died and so only managing spasmodic email checks lately.

Liverbird09, you may wish to pursue the actual Coronial Inquest (probably held by the Record Office) which should furnish further details than most newspaper reports of Inquests.  Witnesses will be included which will be either neighbours and/or family members, and much social detail can be gleaned from the circumstances surrounding the death, eg. How many people sleeping in the same bed, occupations and employers etc, from which you will get a very good picture of their lives.  Generally well worth the effort.

From Adelaide, South Australia, I am primarily interested in the WEBB family:
William - Tamworth STS, Melton Mowbray LEI
Mrs Sarah nee BINDLEY - Ealing MDX
William Thomas Bindley - South Australia
Allan - Calcutta, India
Edward Walter - Leamington WAR
Matthew - Paddington LND
Arthur Charles - South Australia
Sarah Frances - Bendigo VIC Australia
Francis - Macclesfield CHS
Mrs Charlotte HAMPSON - Doncaster YKS
George - Camberwell SRY
Charles - South Australia

Offline liverbird09

• RootsChat Veteran
  • socken
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 08:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jill, I didn't know I could do that, must ask next time I go to the RO. His age is giving me problems as I can't seem to slot him into my OH's tree~having more info on him would be great in solving that problem.  ;)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Ladies,

Keep digging you never know what turns up! that then leads to other info!. Farms do breed things -Why not info. I must admit! that was a new for me visiting a farm for ancestry info

Good luck in your futher investigations.

Dobby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Misterfyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 08 August 11 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Quite by chance I stumbled on RootsChat and the thread started in May by a lady in Australia. This happened because I too am seeking info about my grandfather.  Hence, I pass on a few scraps of info that may be of interest.
Firstly, my grandfather was interred at Walton Park cemetery, Liverpool. But . . . wait for it . . . in 1973 !  Hence the cemetery was still in use at least up until that time. He too had a pauper's grave - at least that is how I interpret the term "public plot". He certainly died destitute.
Secondly, access is indeed through Rawcliffe Road, Liverpool; courtesy of Rice Lane City Farm. A lady (at the farm) called Lisa on 0151 530 1066 might arrange access.
Thirdly, I have a letter (dated 28th January 1994) from the doctor who signed my grandfather's death certificate on 22nd March 1973 in which he states "The Cemetery belongs to the Church of England, and the records are kept at St. Nicholas Church, Liverpool Parish Church, Old Church Yard, Chapel Street, Liverpool, 2." and further, "Mr. Alan O'Toole, who is in charge of Walton Park Cemetery, will send you a photograph of the grave if you get in touch with him."
That's as far as I've got. I hope to go very soon to visit the site. Hope that info interests someone. M.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 08 August 11 14:55 BST (UK) »
The information may be a little out of date, however access is still gained via the City Farm, but if you want to find the grave as easily as possible please make sure you follow the suggestions made by The City Farm themselves, given in my message #24 on previous page http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,531354.msg3885676.html#msg3885676 and not just turn up unannounced expecting the details to be handy since the order of the graves is not easy to follow.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 08 August 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Misterfyer- Welcome to Rootschat and I think you'll find it very useful

Your info looks great!  to put in the picture of this thread as will help others in the future. All adds to the great info online! so it is of importance.

Regards Dobby

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Misterfyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 08 August 11 19:34 BST (UK) »
Have discovered that Alan O'Toole is no longer in the picture (probably died about 10 tears ago).
Also, the lady to contact at Rice Lane City farm is Roma, not Lisa. Roma located (almost) our grave within an hour or so.
Also, half the records are held by the Church of England and the other half by Liverpool City Records Office. I am visitiing tomorrow. M.

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 00:12 BST (UK) »
He too had a pauper's grave - at least that is how I interpret the term "public plot". He certainly died destitute.

People from the Liverpool Workhouse were buried at Walton Cemetery it was a parish cemetery so burials paid for by the parish took place there. Public graves at Walton would have been pauper graves. In other cemeteries public graves were paid for by the family as single interments.

C