Author Topic: Help to find Francis Farrell abt 1831, son of Bernard please  (Read 9270 times)

Offline treslade

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help to find Francis Farrell abt 1831, son of Bernard please
« on: Tuesday 10 May 11 12:14 BST (UK) »
If possible I am looking to understand the place names in Roscommon, so I can find the right place to search, as the leads I have followed before, lead no where.

I have Francis Farrell married in 1855 to Bridget Gallagher ( from Mayo) in Bangor, Caernarvonshire, Wales.
He must still be in Ireland in the 1851 census ( because I can't find him in Wales/England).
On his wedding certificate he has Father- Bernard Farrell, schooltearcher.
Witnesses Alice Farrell and James Dunkins, they marry in St. Mary's Catholic Chapel in Bangor.
Wales 1861 census; Francis Farrell - born - Roscommon.
Wales 1871 census; Francis Farrell - born - KayKill Korky.
Wales 1881 census; Francis Farrell - born - Ireland.
Wales 1891 census; Francis Farrell - Born - Ballingar.

Birthplaces are, I guess written as the place names sounded....I live in England and although I think KayKill Korky maybe Kilcorkey, I can't guess what Ballingar maybe. If anyone has any ideas where I could start a fresh search for his baptism, I would be very Grateful.

Regards, lee
ps I have just found a sister to Francis called Alice Farrell born about 1836.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Help to find Francis Farrell abt 1831, son of Bernard please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 12:25 BST (UK) »
You can view the RC parishes and notes of dates that are available on the Irish Times website - see : RC Parishes, Co. Roscommon

Note : not all the RC parishes have details back as far as the baptism of Francis in c1830

see :  Introduction to Irish Records

You can search for townlands and towns at : www.thecore.com/seanruad

Some Co. Roscommon parish records are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History foundation at www.rootsireland.ie, but since Farrell is quite a common surname you would probably need to establish the correct parish first.

Shane

previous posts for reference :
   1831 Francis Farrell son of Bernard Farrell, schoolteacher?
   Help to find Francis Farrell & Bridget Ann Gallagher families please
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline treslade

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 12:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane,

I will search the links you sent, the previous posts are also mine, this may well be the last time I try to find him..... someone has just been over to County Mayo, Ireland, to search for the Gallaghers - without success, so this will be Francis Farrell's last shot in Roscommon ( mind you, I always say that, leave it a few months, then search again - I always think - we will find it one day...)

Lee.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 May 11 13:48 BST (UK) »
There is a town named Ballinagare also spelt Bellanagare in Roscommon
It is 30km approx north west from Roscommon Town and near Frenchpark
There is a parish named Kilcorkey just south of it also

The only family living in Kilcorkey, Bellanagare on the 1901 census are named Kennedy

The only Farrell in Bellanagare was a single 72 year old Patrick Farrell
he may well be a brother or cousin as his date of birth would be 1829

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

hope this helps
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline treslade

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 May 11 16:31 BST (UK) »
 myluck,

Thank you so much for the information, it helps narrow the search, I still find the records for Ireland hard to find or access. francis had a son called Patrick, so the Patrick you found could tie in at some level, I did find a sister for Francis, Alice Farrell born 1836, she also married in Wales in 1858. The farrell's father Bernard Farrell was a school master, who I thought would leave more traces than he has.

I will look at Ballinagare and see if I can find anything,

Lee

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 August 11 14:04 BST (UK) »
Is the 1891 listing Ballinagare?
Roger
Sorry,I think you already know this.I came across the thread with the print out in front of me when I was. looking for James Farrell of Caellepa,Bangor who I assume is the son of Francis.I am searching a Margaret Jones who listed James as her uncle in the early 1900s
Apologies again

Offline marypriscilla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 October 16 12:49 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was James Patrick Farrell son of Francis and Bridget of Bangor, so it seems Mary was his older sister.  I also was born Mary Farrell!

Only just found your message, can I be any help? I have visited Kilkorkey in Ireland but not been able to find any records, but I keep trying,
Regards Mary

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 October 16 20:33 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat,Mary.
I was helping someone a few years ago to explain the presence of Ferrell/Farrell in his family name.It seemed to trace back to an Adelaide Mary Farrell born circa 1850,but there the trail went cold.If you have any knowledge of this lady I would certainly still be interested.
Alternatively,what information,if any,are you seeking in case I,or others,can help?

Regards
Roger

Offline marypriscilla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 October 16 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger
Thanks for your reply. I have not heard of Adelaide in our family and my grandfather's sister was born in 1859 in Bangor.
Just interested in hearing anything about my family and find any relatives I have not traced up until now.

Regards
Mary