Author Topic: GELDARTs of Walney Island Lighthouse  (Read 5011 times)

Offline PhilBeeNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
GELDARTs of Walney Island Lighthouse
« on: Tuesday 10 May 11 23:25 BST (UK) »
For those researching the Geldarts of Walney Island Lighthouse, I've just received this info from the very kind Micahla Hill, Social History curator at Lancashire County Museum.
She plucked these details from the Walney Lighthouse Visitors book. Note: where she was unable to read words due to heavily italicised script or deterioration of the paper she's indicated this with '??'. My additions are (bracketed).

Walney Lighthouse Visitors Book extraction:

Joseph Geldart was appointed Lightkeeper 11th Dec 1821 and remained until Feb.1871, when he was appointed Superintendant.
(That's an error in the original book - Joseph Geldart DIED at the lighthouse 10th Feb.1871, so could not have been made Superintendant. View the stone on the Walney Island website: http://www.walney-island.com/graves_01.htm )
Thomas Geldart was appointed to assist his father when the Tidal Light was erected in Sept.1846 and remained until he died in July 1879.
(Another error in the original book - the Walney tombstone of Thomas and Jane Geldart says he died at the lighthouse 16th JUNE 1879. Again, see the stone on the Walney Island website.)
James Geldart was appointed assistant when his grandfather Joseph Geldart was made Superintendant (died) and remained assistant until his father died (in 1879) when he was made Lightkeeper.
William Geldart brother of James was appointed assistant when his father Thomas died, the latter two are at ?? Lightkeepers.
Thomas Geldart Son of William was appointed assistant to his father in 1922, resigned March 1926.
William Geldart resigned Dec 1932.

Hope this info is of help to others.
Regards,
PhilBeeNZ
BRAITHWAITE/Durham; BEST/Durham; GELDART/Lancs.; HALSALL/Lancs.; LIGHTBOURN/Lancs.; LOCKLEY/Stafford.; HUDDLESTON(E)/Lancs.; POSTLETHWAITE/Lancs.; RALPH/Lancs.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GELDARTs of Walney Island Lighthouse
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 17:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for posting this.

Joseph Geldart was my 4 great grandfather. He had a daughter Deborah in 1816. In August 1835 Deborah gave birth to a daughter Jane in Dalton Poor House. Jane married Joseph Hewartson in 1857 and their daughter isabella married George Glover my great grandfather.

If the Geldarts are your family I imagine we are related somewhere along the line.

Gibel

Offline PhilBeeNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 20:10 BST (UK) »
Dear Gibel:
We are indeed related! While your line extends from Isabella, mine comes from Isabella's brother WILLIAM HUDDLESTONE HEWARTSON - he's my gt-grandfather. 
And what a small world - and I've been in touch with a woman in Liverpool whose husband lists Isabella as a gt-g'mum too. It's highly likely that you know them personally!!!
Please keep in touch.

Best wishes,
PhilBeeNZ
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
BRAITHWAITE/Durham; BEST/Durham; GELDART/Lancs.; HALSALL/Lancs.; LIGHTBOURN/Lancs.; LOCKLEY/Stafford.; HUDDLESTON(E)/Lancs.; POSTLETHWAITE/Lancs.; RALPH/Lancs.

Offline wrighty

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 August 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I am a genealogist and researching the Geldarts as one of the lines of  a friend who is the 3rd Great Grandson of Joseph Geldart the lighthouse keeper. He lives in Rutland, England and I'm sure would love to be in touch with you. Chris Wright

Offline nicolageldart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know this forum is a few years dated but I just came across it. I descend from Joseph Geldart but from Margaret Davies line. Crazy to think we are all connected somehow!

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 September 20 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Nicola, Welcome to RootsChat :)

Although the topic was posted in 2011 PhilBeeNZ was online last in 2016, he will be notified of your reply by email.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 September 20 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hello again Nicola,

I am sorry that some one on the thread has sent you a Private Message as they should have remembered that new members with only one post can not access these until they have made a few posts. Perhaps they will reply on the topic to give you a chance to reply.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PhilBeeNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 September 20 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, Nicola,

Great to hear from you!
So! You're a livin'-and-breathin' GELDART! I've had this very interesting branch on my tree for some time, but never met a real-life Geldart! 
I have three Joseph Geldarts: 1787-1871; 1826-1890; and 1856- ...but so far no Margaret Davies.
Perhaps you can send me a few more details, and we can discover how you link in!

Regards,
PhilBeeNZ

Offline nicolageldart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 September 20 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil,

Yes I am a living and breathing Geldart :) my great aunt has done a lot of research into our family tree but we have gathered that we descend from your first Joseph (1787-1871). He had a daughter called Margaret Geldart (1813-1901) who later had two children with a Robert Davies. Their children had last names of Davies Geldart which is how Geldart survived the generations as the last name because they never married. Margaret’s son William is my 3 x great grandfather. His son James emigrated to Australia (voluntarily not convict) in 1911 and since then my line of Geldarts have lived there.

Hope this helps!