Author Topic: ss Constance arrival 1852 probably Adelaide  (Read 10414 times)

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ss Constance arrival 1852 probably Adelaide
« on: Wednesday 11 May 11 04:44 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the passenger list for the ss Constance which arrived at various Aust ports in 1852, incl Adelaide
I have tried my usual sources - Vic assisted & unassisted, bound for South Aust, and another for NSW  but no luck

I am particularly looking for a family THOMAS: Ann THOMAS and her sons John THOMAS (abt 14) & Joseph THOMAS (abt 7)

It is possible that the Constance came via Cape Horn rather than Cape of Good Hope, as there are some newspaper articles about a ship Constance arriving from San Francisco in 1852

The State Library of SA holds a book which may be about the journey William Wood's diary : a story of nineteenth century emigration on board the sailing ship "Constance" in 1852 /

Hoping at some fine RootsChatter can help

barb

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ss Constance arrival 1852 probably Adelaide
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 07:52 BST (UK) »
The book you mention was written by passenger William WOOD on the journey on the CONSTANCE which arrived in Melbourne in December 1852. My ancestors were also on that journey.   

I cannot see your persons of interest on the passenger list arriving Melbourne.  Are you sure they travelled on that particular voyage?

There may be more than one ship named CONSTANCE including coastal vessels.  A ship of that name arrived in Adelaide in Oct 1852 but a search of the passenger records at SA Records does not show any THOMAS's on board.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 07:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry I omitted to say that the passenger records at SA Records are only for assisted emigrants.  If your people were unassisted then there is possibly no record of their arrival.  The survival rate of passenger lists in SA is quite poor.

Cheers
Cando

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 May 11 09:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cando
That explains why I can't find some  of some other information I have been looking for.
I  think the THOMAS's would have been unassisted - husband John THOMAS came a few years earlier cabin class

But someone has somehow found John THOMAS  on the 1852 voyage of the Constance:
Some years ago you and I were part of a RootsChat discussion about Maurice THOMAS  Maurice THOMAS 1831. Chile
One person in that discussion mentioned that they had found a ref to John THOMAS arriving on the Constance in 1852 (on another chat room)
If you  search  constance ex liverpool you will find it.
All the other information in that reference is correct. 

I'll try searching digital newspapers
Any other ideas about  where to look

Just had a thought - Ann THOMAS might have  traveled with some of  her own family CURNOW. Will search those too

Cheers
Barb

Offline barbatalice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 May 11 12:03 BST (UK) »
I have finally  found  Ann THOMAS and her two sons John & Joseph traveling under Ann's maiden name CURNOW. They arrived Melbourne Dec 1852 on Constance
The added bonus is that Ann was also traveling with her parents William and Anna CURNOW.  I had no idea that her parents had come to Aust.

So now  I will have to get hold of that William WOODS book on the journey out

Just for the THOMAS family history record:
Ann Lee CURNOW was married to John THOMAS snr who, with his brother Mauris THOMAS, was a copper smelter in Chile 1820s & 1830s. They then set up the Callington copper smelter in South Aust  in 1849.  John THOMAS snr died 1857 in Bendigo (aka Sandhurst) Son John THOMAS married Francis MILLER in South Aust and son Joseph William THOMAS married Ann BOARD also in SA
John and Ann THOMAS had two more children born Bendigo 1854 & 1856
Barb

Offline petmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 December 11 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I actually wrote that book about the "Constance" and it was based on the diary I have written on board by my relative William Wood. I am always very interested to find out what happened to any of the passengers after their arrival 159 years ago this weekend. Some families have kindly written to me and I would love to hear from others. There is still a great mystery about what happened to William's little son Charlie - so if anyone knows....? 

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 December 11 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi petmac :)

Welcome to rootschat  :)

I will send you a personal message with information of my ancestors who emigrated on the CONSTANCE or if you prefer we can communicate by email.

You will need to make two more messages before I can do this...information on pm's....
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Cheers  :)
Cando

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 December 11 13:19 GMT (UK) »
You have probably seen the papers for the Administration of the estate of John THOMAS, late of Bendigo, d 31 July 1857.

Anne Lee THOMAS, widow, of Epsom near Sandhurst is asking for the administration.  She is asked to put up surety (with others) of over 3000 pounds to administer the estate and one of the papers is a plea for a lesser surety as she is unable to get that amount of money. She says she and her children are suffering as the estate cannot be sorted.  She says his estate is worth 1700 pounds.  Her children are listed as John, Joseph, William Alexander, and Rosina Ann.  Administration was granted Feb, 1858.

http://210.8.122.120/indexes/index_search.asp?searchid=54

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline petmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 January 12 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Cando: Thanks yours and apologies for delay in responding. I am very interested in anything about the  passengers and their ultimate fortune after arrival. I have found it incredible how kind people have been in writing to me with that sort of information. If you have not read the book and want a copy have a look at the website but I suggest it will be much quicker to order direct from me these days. So let me know and I will see what I can do. I am new to Rootschat so still finding my way. Incidentally I am particularly interested to find a pattern of where the different emigrating families came from in the UK (which of course included all of Ireland in those days).