Author Topic: Ivy Power birth India - Look up  (Read 4652 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ivy Power birth India - Look up
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 May 11 20:34 BST (UK) »
Ira Alfred Banks was a soldier in 1st Battalion Cheshire Regiment and as a private he was awarded the India medal with Chin-Lushai clasp for that campaign in 1889-90.

He appears to have married Florence Kirk in Madras in 1895 and to have died there on 9 December 1896 aged 28.

Ellen Florence Banks was born in Madras to Ira and Florence on 6 October 1896.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 May 11 13:20 BST (UK) »
William Power sailed back to Bombay without his family on 2 January 1931 on the Britannia ( UK address 31 Waverley Road, Southsea ).

He arrived back in England on 16 July 1934, again on the Britannia - UK address 72 Whitwell Road, Southsea.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline williamscdr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 May 11 07:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks you Shaun, that's really useful

David  :)

Offline lawithers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
Ivy Ellen Power was the daughter of William Power and Ellen Florence Banks.  Ellen Florence  Banks married William Power on 6 February 1915 in Rawalpindi, Bengal.  Ellen Florence Banks  b 6 October 1896 Madras, was the daughter of Florence Kirk and Ira Alfred Banks.   Ira, unfortunately, died a year after his marriage to Florence Kirk, and she later remarried John Richard Gower again in Madras.  My great grandfather, married Florence Kirk's sister, Charlotte in India.  Florence and Charlotte Kirk, along with a number of other siblings were the children of David Kirk, originally of Lochrutton, Kirkcudbrightshire, and Ellen Rigby, who had been born in India in 1839.
Would love to know of your connection to the family?  According to what I have found I think Ellen Florence and William Power died in the Okehampton, Devon area - is that the case?
Lindsey

Offline hughesss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 August 13 18:57 BST (UK) »
this is fantastic.

Ira Alfred Banks is a distant relative of mine. The family story was that Great Uncle Ira went out to india and "went local" as he was never heard from again.

I have recently traced his marriage to Florence Kirk, daughter Ellen Florence banks and death in 1896 but have been unable to find any other information.

Jennie

Offline lawithers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennie
Ira Alfred Banks – Death Registered in 1896, Aged 28 (Page 344 Army Returns 1896-1900)
Ira Alfred Banks posted to Madras station, India with the 1st Battalion Cheshire Regiment arriving on 16 November 1887.  Promoted to acting lance corporal by 31 July 1888 and a lance sergeant (corporal acting as sergeant) at the time of his marriage in 1895.  He had been promoted to sergeant at the time of his death on 9 December 1896.  He died of an abscess of the liver and dysentery at the Station Hospital, Madras. 
Florence and Ira had only the one daughter, Ellen Florence Banks.
My great grandfather, Frederick George Saunders, married Charlotte Kirk, Florence's sister, and was a witness to the marriage of Ira and Florence.
I have a lovely photo of Ira and Florence, probably taken on their wedding day.
Glad that the information was useful.
Lindsey

Offline hughesss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 August 13 12:36 BST (UK) »
Dear Lindsey,

Thank you so much for the information.

My great great Grandfather was James G Banks - Ira's Brother i believe, and he had a son called Ira also.

Jennie

Offline maxwilliam

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
Ivy Ellen Power married my uncle, Roy Phillip Hallowell Carew. He died when as a test pilot he crashed in a spitfire over England in 1942. He was born 1912, a year before my mother, Dorcas Eve Hallowell Carew. I have seen the name Sally Hallowell Carew the US who was/is a theatre director perhaps. Was she the daughter of this couple?