Author Topic: Grandholm Mills  (Read 5300 times)

Offline kickbuttgirlie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grandholm Mills
« on: Thursday 12 May 11 15:52 BST (UK) »
My late mother used to work at Grandholm Mills back in the 60s is there any group/site/forum for the Mills? the only thing I can find is a few site with photos of the old buildings.

I have loads of photos from her time there and would love to be able to maybe share them with the people she would have worked along side.

My mother was Helen Barbara Wallace. b1949 - d 1993. I assume she would have been 16 when she started there and there until 1970/1971

Many thanks

KBG
Aberdeen: Coulthard, Chilcott, Bartie, Wallace, Clark, Robertson, Warrander, Hunter, Brown
Lincolnshire: Chilcott, Barratt, Robinson, Twidale, Beacock

Offline lawrenceb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Grandholm Mills
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 17:34 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, Andy Cumming, worked at Grandholm from the time he was 14(post WWI) to his retirement in the late 60s.  He was originally a loom tuner.  When my mother was in her early teens, they lived on the estate.  If you do find such a site, could you post it?
Cumming: Woodside Aberdeen
Lawrence: Banffshire, Aberdeenshire, Newcastle upon Tyne

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My late dad Davie Brechin used to work for J+J Crombie at Grandholm mill from the 60's until the late 70's. Are there any names on your Mum's photos KBG?

This may be the link you've already found http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ourfamilyrealm/pages/grandholm_mills_aberdeen_scotland.htm

But I also noticed there is a facebook page for Grandholm, I'm not on facebook but if you are it might be worth a look.

Best wishes,

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline kickbuttgirlie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 03:03 BST (UK) »
Finally got my butt in gear and made a facebook page for my mothers photos from Grandholm.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/527600590588458/

:)

KBG
Aberdeen: Coulthard, Chilcott, Bartie, Wallace, Clark, Robertson, Warrander, Hunter, Brown
Lincolnshire: Chilcott, Barratt, Robinson, Twidale, Beacock

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 18:18 BST (UK) »
Interesting, and a bit sad to see it looking a bit neglected.

I suppose that you know that James Crombie was an ancestor of the late Diana, Princess of Wales?

His brother John married my first cousin 3 times removed, Jane Sang.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gordon Williamson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 October 16 07:01 BST (UK) »

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 October 16 12:20 BST (UK) »
Great to see my Dad on the cover pic, thanks Gordon.

KBG the link for viewing your photos on FB says:
Sorry, this content isn't available at the moment
The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible to an audience that you aren't in.

Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes