Author Topic: Shewan family  (Read 15387 times)

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: Shewan family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 May 11 07:53 BST (UK) »
there is a birth on the igi for  a robert shewan 15/8/1831 in dunrossness with parents robert shewan and barbara bernson
I have a booklet with monumental inscriptions for dunrossness and fair isle ( availble from the shetland family history society ) and there are quite a few shewan names in it, there is a robert but I have not found one who matches your dates
also looks like catherine irvine was a widow when she married robert shewan

also may be spelt " shuan "

akc
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline msh

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 May 11 01:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help, I have long suspected that Robert and Barbara are his parents but "How to prove" that is why I have been searching for his death or a grave or something!!! but alais nothing yet.  Catherine was indeed married before she married our Robert as well as after Robert died.  She died in Lerwick a pauper.  Poor woman buried several husbands and as far as I can find Robert and her son Peter was the only child who lived and had children....but you never know with genealogy what will turn up.  Thanks for going the extra mile for me, it is greatly appreciated.
Stevens/Grace/Robb/Stephen

Offline msh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 May 11 02:09 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention that I believe my Robert was a seaman out of Lerwick when he died as that is where Peter was suppost to have been born plus Robina died in 61, her mother Agnes in 65 and Catherine in 92.

Offline msh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 May 11 00:24 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of Robina's death now and her father was deceased at the time of her death in April 11th 1961 in Lerwick, so now we know he died sometime between 1854 and 1861.  Does anyone know if there is someplace where all the records are for fisherman and merchant mariners/seamen who died at sea in the Shetlands

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 May 11 11:09 BST (UK) »
msh, if there is let me know, I had a Shetland g,g, grandfather who was a merchant seaman, vanished off the radar!      Skoosh