Author Topic: The BAGNALLs of Byker, Tyne Watermen  (Read 11553 times)

Offline shopbooth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The BAGNALLs of Byker, Tyne Watermen
« on: Thursday 12 May 11 19:03 BST (UK) »
One family dominates my ancestry search of the nineteenth century - the BAGNALLs. 
The whole family expanded during the late nineteenth century from the sons of Robert BAGNALL. 

Any information, other than the bmd and census info which I have, would be invaluable in shedding some light on this family who seemed to trade along the Tyne on Newcastle (Ouseburn, Byker) and Gateshead sides in river transport (wherries) and public house ownership.

The details I have are:

Robert BAGNALL - 1827-1902:  'Waterman on this City' on grave in Heaton, Newcastle
Elizabeth (nee CHARLTON) 1829-1897  (born Hexham)

Children
Robert Matthew BAGNALL 1848-1910: a Waterman, Publican and 'Champion Oarsman'
Percival BAGNALL 1855-1922:  a Waterman, Publican
George BAGNALL 1857-1892
Joseph BAGNALL 1861 -
Margaret BAGNALL 1862 -
Joshua BAGNALL 1862-1932
Martha BAGNALL 1863 -
Matthew C BAGNALL 1866 -
Jane Ann BAGNALL 1869 -

The family tree becomes quite expansive after this and the BAGNALL name is handed down directly or as a middle name in successive generations

Any insights gratefully received on:

any siblings of Robert BAGNALL (b.1827)
confirmation/details of his parents - ?Joseph BAGNALL & ?Margaret
any knowledge of Robert M Bagnall - Champion Oarsman of the Tyne - I have some records of him racing on the Tyne and in Novo Scotia but fairly limited.  He was a contemporary of James Renforth, a famous champion oarsman.
photographs of any family members - that would be great to say the least

Many thanks
Booth - Hulme, Manchester & Wallsend
Craggs - Bishop Auckland, Darlington & Byker
Hutchins & Lewins- Sunderland
Miller, Allan & Brunton - Walker & Byker
Bagnall - Watermen of the Ouseburn

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The BAGNALLs of Byker, Tyne Watermen
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 May 11 22:24 BST (UK) »
Wouldn't getting the marriage of Robert to Elizabeth Charlton give you his father's name and occupation?

There is a 28 Aug 1831 baptism of a Robert with parents Joseph and Margaret , shipwright along with a sister Ann who was born 19 May 1828.  There is an Isabella baptised in 1810 with parents Joseph and Margaret nee Castles said they were from Gateshead.

baptisms of the children of Robert and Elizabeth at All Saints that I have on my index:

Robert 3 Aug 1851, Line? Street, waterman
George  13 Apr 1857, Ballast Hills, Keelman
Ann Elizabeth  6 Dec 1858, Ballast Hills, Waterman
Joshua  25 May 1862, Quality Row, Waterman
Martha  born 5 Sept 1863, baptised 14 Mar 1864, Line? Street, Waterman
Matthew born 4 Aug 1866, baptised 19 Aug 1866, Ouseburn, Waterman

Janis

Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shopbooth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 May 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that info, Janis.

I'm relatively new to family history - enjoying it immensely- and very much feeling my way around the misc resources.

Since posting I have searched FamilySearch and came across Ann, as well as Isabella, Margaret and Hannah and Mary as sisters to Robert - though there is a 10 year gap between the first 4 siblings and the final 2 which I don't quite understand??

I also found marriage of Joseph 'Bagnel' to Margaret 'Cassels', though one of the FS baptisms at All Saints records the surname as Castles.

As you rightly say the marriage certificare will hopefully confirm the Shipwright and Gateshead links as well as perhaps another spelling of bride's family name!

I don't quite understand when you speak of 'my index' - I've been to several archives and seen indexes but they don't seem to have this level of detail.  where do you source the index from & is the detail from Microfiche??  it seems a useful resource - certainly helped in swiftly tracing Joseph Bagnall's career via baptism records!

I'm really grateful for these helpful pointers.  thanks again

by the way the street name will prob be Lime St, Ousburn which housed a Lime Kiln.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 May 11 23:41 BST (UK) »
Some are indexes with just names and dates, others have full transcriptions

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 May 11 21:33 BST (UK) »
Just pouncing on the reference to TYneside watermen from Byker- mine are the Wests, 3 generations called Allen West, married into the Wolf's, also keelers.
If you come across any refs to them, I'd be interested. I have census , BMD's , baps. but wonder if anyone has ever looked at the Watermen's records which I seem to recall are kept somewhere in the North East.

Offline shopbooth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 May 11 22:42 BST (UK) »
Haven't come across Allen West or Wolfs as yet but will keep an eye out for them. 
If anyone knows where the Watermen's Records are housed I could look over them if accessible - or indeed I'd be interested in any insight into the Waterman profession.  It was clearly a physically demanding and risky profession but one of great pride and comradeship.

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 May 11 23:04 BST (UK) »
I'm sure I once found a reference to the watermen's records being housed somewhere in N/castle but can't find it now!
Have you ever seen the painting by JMTurner of Keelmen hauling coals on the Tyne( or similar title)- really very impressive- we like to think that the waterman in the picture is a West. The original is unfortunately in New York, I think.
Old 19thC newspapers might give you some insights into your ancestors' doings. Lancashire Libraries have an excellent on-line facility. We found refs. all sorts of lively goings-on ( ie. petty crimes) on TYneside in the mid 1800's- real roustabout territory at the time it seems!

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 May 11 23:10 BST (UK) »
The Turner painting is called " Keelmen hauling in coals by Moonlight" ( 1835)

Offline Oystons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 June 17 05:34 BST (UK) »
While I have not found anything on the Bagnalls, my ancestor John Oyston was born in South Shields in 1819, was convicted in 1835 for stealing a pair of shoes and transported to Tasmania, Australia. His trade was recorded as 'waterboy' and was later employed in his new home as a waterman on the Tamar River near Launceston, TAS. My puzzle is trying to find his parents who may also have been employed onto the River Tyne. In your search, if you find/hear anything I would be most thankful. Chris Oyston