Author Topic: The BAGNALLs of Byker, Tyne Watermen  (Read 11568 times)

Offline shopbooth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The BAGNALLs of Byker, Tyne Watermen
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 June 17 22:27 BST (UK) »
I've done a quick search and there was a John Oyston baptised at St. Hilda's Church, South Shields on 7 Feb 1823.  He was the son of Cuthbert (mariner) and Isabella Oyston.  Can't locate any others of this name baptised near the mouth of the Tyne post 1819 so this one is a possibility if he was baptised as an infant.  Hope this helps.
Booth - Hulme, Manchester & Wallsend
Craggs - Bishop Auckland, Darlington & Byker
Hutchins & Lewins- Sunderland
Miller, Allan & Brunton - Walker & Byker
Bagnall - Watermen of the Ouseburn

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 June 17 23:31 BST (UK) »

Durham Records Online has 23 pages of the Bagnall line.

Offline Oystons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 June 17 02:05 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, that's the closest I have had yet. ChrisO

Offline bagnall28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 May 19 18:49 BST (UK) »
PETER BAGNALL
JUST FOUND YOUR INFO REGARDING THE BAGNALLS.
ROBERT BAGNALL IS MY GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER AS MATTHEW CHARLTON BAGNALL WAS MY FATHER.
VISITING NEWCASTLE ON A CRUISE NEXT WEEK AND THINK WE'VE FOUND THE GRAVES AND MEMORIAL IN THE BYKER AND HEATON CEMETERY, SHOULD BE INTERESTING IF WE CAN FIND IT.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi bagnall28,

Welcome to RootsChat. :)

I would recommend visiting Newcastle City Library, Local Studies, when you come over.  They have the Heaton burial registers on microfilm which will reveal which section Robert is in.  This will make it a lot easier for you to find grave if you don't know the section already.

I also think it looks like he may have a death notice in the Evening Chronicle.  Click on link and scroll down.  This shows date notices appeared in newspaper. 

This newspaper is also on microfilm at the library. I always think it is a good idea too to check for the next year for a possible memoriam as these often provide interesting and/or touching messages.
 https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/DeathNotices/deaths_AUNG

From City Centre (Haymarket bus station) a 309 or 308 bus will take you near to Heaton Cemetery. Ask to get off stop after Corner House stop.  If this may be of any help. :)

Added: If you are thinking of getting the bus I will check with driver exact name of stop before next week. 

If you like walking, I would estimate about 30 mins walk from town.. Not bad on a sunny day. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline bagnall28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 14:27 BST (UK) »
THANKS FOR THE INFO. THERE ON TUESDAY NEXT WEEK AND ONLY THERE 7AM-5PM SO IF I DON'T MANAGE TO DISCOVER THE MEMORIALS MAY RETURN LATER FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS IN THE FUTURE.
DO YOU KNOW HOW BIG HEATON CEMETERY IS, I'VE GOT A COUPLE OF PHOTOS OF ROBERT'S AND PERCIVALS GRAVES SO THAT MAY HELP ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.
ONCE AGAIN MANY THANKS
PETER BAGNALL

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi bagnall28

http://www.margaret-hall-genealogy.com/page9.htm

This link is from a website I sometimes use.  If you click on the Heaton Cemetery thumbnail you should be able to see a bigger map.

I have never actually been inside this cemetery but from the map it looks quite big. 

I think you would be very lucky indeed if you manage to find the grave stones without knowing the section to look in.  I think you could well be successful if you do find out the sections. 

I would be willing to check for you but I don't think my work hours will enable me to get to the library before you come next week.  When I am able to get to the library at some point I will be happy to look up the notices for you (and the burials) if you don't get to the library yourself.  Library opens at 10 am.  I think you should be able to check burial microfilms and get to cemetery and find graves well within the time limit.   bus should get you close to cemetery within 15 mins. Don't worry about looking for notices I can look for these likely at some point in next two weeks. :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline bagnall28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 17:51 BST (UK) »
THANKS FOR THAT.
I'VE EMAILED BERAVEMENTSERVICES@NEWCASTLE.GOV.UK AND I THINK THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO LOOK THE PLOTS UP AND HOPEFULLY LET ME KNOW, WATCH THIS SPACE.
CHEERS

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 22:37 BST (UK) »
A bus driver has told me the bus stop to ask to get off at is 'Stephenson Road-Chillingham Road'.  Get the 308 bus (stand L) or 309 bus (stand M) from Haymarket bus station.  Bus journey about 15 mins.

When you get off at the above stop you will be facing some shops.  Walk round the corner of the shops on your right onto Benton Road - cemetery is a 1-2 minute walk ahead.   

By the way I have noticed that your ancestors Robert & Elizabeth got married at Christ Church, North Shields according to the marriage locator website.  If you do not already have this record and if you would like this I could look up the record for you at North Shields library in a couple of weeks.

http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/cgi-bin/ML_search.cgi?year=1847&qtr=3&vol=25&page=394&search=search

Good luck with your trip next week.  Please let us know if you are successful.