Author Topic: Documents  (Read 6769 times)

Offline Ronnie6492

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Documents
« on: Thursday 12 May 11 19:46 BST (UK) »
Please forgive my ignorance of this subject, but is it possible to restore a document here? iI have a letter which was sent to my husband's g.grandparents informing them of their sons death which is pretty fragile. Looking through the posts I do not see any mention but thought it was worth asking the question. Any suggestions would be much appreciated,

Ronnie
fisher, brookes,pridding(cheshire/flintshire)willcocks,crocker, cockrill,wilcott(plymouth,fowey,bristol),oliver(cornwall)

Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Documents
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 May 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
Dependent on its condition a scan could be taken at 300dpi or more. The document itself could possibly be laminated to protect it.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 May 11 21:09 BST (UK) »
I would be very wary of laminating anything precious.  The heat of the machine can destroy things only too easily.
You need a paper conservator.  Try asking at your archives record office if they can recommend someone.
Regards
Andrea

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 May 11 23:08 BST (UK) »
Andrea is right - please don't ever laminate anything precious.

There are some links to "find a conservator" sites here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,66915.0.html

But if you have no luck with those, check with your local records office as suggested  :)

Cheers
Prue

Offline Ronnie6492

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 May 11 17:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for the advice - I will look into finding a conservator - it is  a very poignant letter and deserves to be cared for well,

Thanks again

Ronnie
fisher, brookes,pridding(cheshire/flintshire)willcocks,crocker, cockrill,wilcott(plymouth,fowey,bristol),oliver(cornwall)

Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 May 11 21:02 BST (UK) »
Pleased I made that comment, I may have saved precious documents from damage, if I ever find any that is! Regarding conservators, based on my experience with book restoration, I would suggest getting an estimate I was quoted £12 per inch to rebeind a book in 1998. Needless to say it is still to be done.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 May 11 23:15 BST (UK) »
The trouble with laminating is that it melts plastic into the actual document.  The plastic then starts to degrade or deteriorate and this in turn starts to damage the paper, but the plastic can't be removed from the paper.  It's a no-win situation.  There are so many archival-quality plastic pockets around these days that it's easy and cheap to just pop documents into one and file them away with no harm done :)

Re. conservators:  we train for 3-4 years and then have to continue professional development for our entire careers.  There is a lot more that goes into a conservator rebinding a book than just getting it done at a commercial binder, who will just trim all the edges of your book and then glue the spine and stick a cover on it.  The book conservator repairs every page, and the folds at the spine edge of the sections all have to be consolidated so that they can hold the stitches.  The sections are stitched together, then the spine edges are lined ready for the cover to go on.  The cover is then repaired, or a new one made, and re-attached to the text block.  Of course all this requires an indepth knowledge of the original techniques used to make the book, the materials being dealt with, how they work together and how they will behave as they get older.

You are paying for the benefit of the conservator's training and experience, and the knowledge that they are sympathetically repairing your precious objects to ensure their continued use and longevity.  It's not cheap, but you do get what you pay for, like everything in life ;)

Having said all that, yes - you should definitely get an estimate, just as if you were going to get any other work done around the house or on your car etc.  Not sure about the other websites, but the AICCM website that is on the link I posted above has a guide to commissioning conservation work, which is helpful to look at.

Cheers
Prue

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 May 11 23:23 BST (UK) »
Prue, I wasn't complaining at the price offered, I just couldn't afford to do it that's all had other priorities for my pension at that time. I have always believed that it is right and proper for a craftsperson to sell their labour at the highest posible price. Lowering one's price demeans oneself, and others in the same occupation.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 May 11 23:35 BST (UK) »
Glad we are on the same page Roger - and sorry I got the wrong end of the stick.  Anyway, hopefully my info will be useful for others considering such work.  :)