Author Topic: ALLEY Peter & John  (Read 14633 times)

Offline inept

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: ALLEY Peter & John
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 May 11 13:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Shane

I have ordered Dr George Underwood's Death Certificate.  He died in 1879 at Braidwood, NSW (halfway from Canberra to the coast).  NSW does not have an on-line certificate.  It will take 3 weeks.

The catalogue listing has his father as John; mother as Jane, consistent with IGI.  We'll have to wait and see whether his birth place is listed.  I see Limerick is quite some distance from Dublin.

Meanwhile, the Irish records may yield more "proof".

inept
Alley, Andrews, Bicknell, Brewster, Chipperfield, Clapp, Clutterbuck, Craike, Edis, Henderson, Hennessy, Layton, Lion/Lyon, Marriner, Marriott, Morris, Poole, Rennie, Rentoul, Saunders, Skepper, Smith, Tayles, Taylor, Tombes, Tunks, Vardon, Wharton, Wilson, Wright

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 May 11 20:56 BST (UK) »
There was a John Underwood who was the first supervisor of the National Botanic Gardens Dublin, which were laid out in 1795 (Botanic gardens website)

Duelling was so popular that by 1800, there were 19 companies in Dublin alone who were making or selling duelling pistols. These where: Lewis Alley, Thomas Calderwood, James Eames and his successor Elizabeth Eames, William Edwards, Thomas Fowler, William Kavanagh, John Langson (sometimes written Langton), Robert McCormick, Farrell McDermott, McKnight, William Morton, Daniel Muley, Thomas Pattison, Benjamin Powell, John Rigby, his successors William and John Rigby, John Silk, Thomas Trulock, George Turner and Samuel Wallace. (National Museum Ireland website)

Peter Alley rector of Dunamore
        Queens co., for 73 years. Died 22 Aug 1763 at 110 years, had 3 wives and 33 children.

according to:

http://mail.sumnercomm.net/~dgaddie/

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL7140020M/An_Essay_on_a_pecular_eruptive_disease_arising_from_the_exhibition_of_mercury_illustrated_with_cases_taken_at_Westmoreland_Lock_Hospital_Dublin

An Essay on a pecular eruptive disease arising from the exhibition of mercury illustrated with cases taken at Westmoreland Lock Hospital, Dublin
by George Alley.
Published 1804 by Gilbert and Hodges, Cadell and Davies in Dublin, Dublin .

Offline inept

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 May 11 21:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Pastmagic

Fascinating!

inept
Alley, Andrews, Bicknell, Brewster, Chipperfield, Clapp, Clutterbuck, Craike, Edis, Henderson, Hennessy, Layton, Lion/Lyon, Marriner, Marriott, Morris, Poole, Rennie, Rentoul, Saunders, Skepper, Smith, Tayles, Taylor, Tombes, Tunks, Vardon, Wharton, Wilson, Wright

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 May 11 21:33 BST (UK) »

Glad you liked those, they are amusing. Here is another one - may not be your Peter

link to Poem online at

http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/4859017

Public-Spirit, [electronic resource] : A lyric poem. To which are prefixed observations on the irregular ode. By Peter Alley

Bib ID   4859017
Format   Book, Online
Author   
Alley, Peter

Online Access   
Full text online
Description   Dublin : Printed by William M'Kenzie, No. 33, College-Green, 1793.
57,[1]p. ; 8⁰.
Notes   
Reproduction of original from Trinity College Library.
Verify format. The irregular ode not identified
Cited In   
English Short Title Catalog, T171343.
Reproduction   Electronic reproduction. Farmington Hills, Mich. : Cengage Gale, 2009. Available via the World Wide Web. Access limited by licensing agreements.
Subjects   Lyric poetry - Early works to 1800.
Form/genre   Poems.
Place   Ireland Dublin.

Offline inept

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 May 11 21:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Postmagic

I have been going through the material in your previous post  The Gaddie material (from USA) was particularly interesting.

inept

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 May 11 22:10 BST (UK) »
The Peter above mentioned was a barrister, according to
http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924029566530/cu31924029566530_djvu.txt

The legal observer, or, Journal of jurisprudence, Volume 9 - p. 66 has a good  obituary. It is free on Google books.

There was also in 1817–18 John Alley Lord mayor of Dublin.

None of this is anyway proven, but it is a relatively uncommon name.

Have you searched the Freeman's Journal Newspaper for marriages etc?  It is free online via a number of libraries in the uk?  I have access if you haven't.

PM

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 May 11 22:45 BST (UK) »
Grandson of John Alley Lord Mayor
Journal of the American Irish Historical Society. Vol II. 1899

Mr. John R. Alley.
Born in Dublin, Ireland, 1822 ; a prominent Boston brewer; life member of the
Society. His grandfather, John Alley, was at One time lord mayor of Dublin, and
his father was a graduate of Cambridge University, England. Mr. Alley, our
deceased associate, had warm Irish sympathies, and it has been truly said of him
that few men in Boston or New England did more for the Irish cause than he. His
purse and voice were always at the disposal of his fellow-countrymen in the
various phases of Irish movements in this country for the past thirty years. He
was an ardent lover of Ireland, and took a lively interest in her history and
literature. Admitted to the Society June 24, 1897 ; died in Boston, Mass., June
21, 1898.

John Alley, the Lord Mayor, was previously from 1808  an Alderman and Sherrif of The city of Dublin. He was a Brewer and lived at
Townsend St, which is beside Trinity College. Might be worth contacting Trinity Alumini office to see what records they have, if any, re Alley graduates of the period.

http://www.tcd.ie/alumni/

Offline inept

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 May 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Pastmagic

achives.org lists two medical Georges.  The earlier one is perhaps the author of the article on mercury "eruptions", the later one is perhaps the one who emigrated to NSW after 1831.

Good research!

inept

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 May 11 23:13 BST (UK) »
Also noticed that several people on Ancestry.com have your George as an ancestor. You probably have those refs already. Have him born in Limerick.

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/21831067/person/1191875743

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/19930884/person/914229326?ssrc=

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/23641429/person/1411347260?ssrc=

etc. I never take these at face value unless the citations are robust.

He sounds  a very interesting person anyway!