Author Topic: James & Margt BOUSIE nee Penman  (Read 2596 times)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James & Margt BOUSIE nee Penman
« on: Saturday 14 May 11 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi All...I've been researching the Penman/Bousie families from Fife/Clackmannan and discovered that after 1911 the Bousie family moved south to ARMADALE in West Lothian. 

James Cornfoot BOUSIE died 04 May 1930 aged 49 at South St Armadale
Margaret Armstrong Bousie died in 1963 aged 82 in Uphall

I suspect that James Bousie was probably laid to rest in Armadale and hopefully Margt too...is anyone able to confirm their burials and sect/lot number in a cemetery in Armadale please?

James Bousie was a butcher in the area...I wonder would anyone have knowledge of this family.

Regards, Sage.

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James & Margt BOUSIE nee Penman
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 May 11 10:58 BST (UK) »
Morning Heather

Hope you got my PM reply to your query re Armit's.

Now to this one - James C Bousie, Butcher of 166 South Street, Armadale, died 5/5/1930 aged 49, interred 7/5/1930 in Bathgate Glasgow Road Johnston Cemetery, Section Section U Lair 216.  In the same lair Mary Bousie, of 56 Cadzow Avenue, Bo'ness died 28/11/1963 aged 82, interred 30/11/1963.  This is the same date as your Margaret - so maybe a transcription error or when the details were being recorded.  I don't know if there's a headstone and if I can grab some time this weekend I'll go look.

There's an Elizabeth Bousie 22/1/1937 aged 97, died in Eastern General Hospital Edinburgh, interred in Mid Calder Cemetery Section I Lair 19 on 24/1/1937.

Can't find any other references to the name in any other West Lothian Cemetery.

Lots of Penmans in West Calder, Whitburn etc....... and I've a whole load of them originating in South Lanarkshire (Lamington, Bigger etc).

cheers .... Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 May 11 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Meg,

Thanks so much for that info...I'm in Oz so I can't traipse around the cemeteries as I'd like too  :(
I'm working with a family mbr so its possible they may wish to visit but they don't live in the immediate area.  It would be nice to find out if there's a headstone or not but only if you get the opportunity...thank you for the offer.

I don't think the Elizabeth Bousie you found ties in with the Bousie family I'm researching.  James Bousie's parents were Wm Bousie & Frances (Fanny Lever) and they were from Leven in Fife.  We're quite lucky to be searching a name such as 'Bousie' as it's not especially common but there are other families out there.

Thanks again for your help,
Sage.

Offline DMcNab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 July 11 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hello, James and Margaret were my grandparents. Buried in Bathgate.