Author Topic: Death and Marriage  (Read 7350 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Marriage
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 May 11 19:19 BST (UK) »
did Mary have middle name ?

two possible entries for Mary as birth & marriage are after 1920 check details on

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

mother's maiden name Roe
mother's maiden name Brooks - there is a marriage to James BOWMAN
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Oletta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 May 11 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Ladyhawk

Mary had no middle name.  I did see the marriage for Jame Bowman and Mary Brooke but not sure!

Regards
Oletta

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 May 11 19:30 BST (UK) »
 The problem is its such a common surname as we cant check census's  :(

But I agree with Ladyhawke that one look most likely
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Oletta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 May 11 19:46 BST (UK) »
Do you Mary the Daughter would have left the letter B out of her marriage as Mary B Bowman on purpose? I am also having great problems with chrisitian names as they seem to have used them in the following families. Regards
Oletta

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 May 11 20:48 BST (UK) »
Looking at what we know, the marriage of a James Bowman to a Mary Brooks took place in Morpeth March q 1823

We then have a birth of a Mary B Bowman Morpeth Sept q 1825 so it all fits, I wonder if the B in Mary's names stand for Brooks  :-\
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Oletta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 May 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
I looked up that birth on free bdm and yes the "B" stands for Brooks I also found a brother for Mary his name was George Bowman, this is when i began to wonder if this was the right James Bowman marrying Mary b Brooks because i could not match the daughters name Mary to anyone only Mary B Bowman, which did not fit the name Mary.
Regards
Oletta

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 May 11 21:51 BST (UK) »
I think the only thing you can do is get the marriage certificate to see who James gives as his father, I cant think of any other way  :(

Offline Oletta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 May 11 06:12 BST (UK) »
I think you are right it would be the only way,

Thank you very much for your time and help, will let you know

Regard
Oletta

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 May 11 07:39 BST (UK) »
Oletta,
Is your James in 1901 census, age 4, living at Great Corby, Carlisle, with parents Robert (Blacksmith) and Mary. RG13/4863/23/3
If so there is plenty of info on the internet about him, google Sir James Bowman, 1st Baronet of Killingworth, General Secretary of the Northumberland Miners Association 1935-1950, Chairman of the National Coal Board 1956-1961.
According to his Obituary in the Times, dated Oct 6 1978, he was born March 8, 1898, Great Corby, Carlisle, father a blacksmith. Worked as a boy at Ashington Colliery before working up through the Union then Management ranks. Married Jean, daughter of Henry Brooks in 1922, and had one son and one daughter.
He died 25 Sep 1978 and his son Sir George Bowman (1923-1990) inherited the baronetcy.
Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins