Author Topic: Limerick Marriage Record  (Read 7212 times)

Offline scully1957

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Limerick Marriage Record
« on: Saturday 14 May 11 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I know its a long shot but I wonder if anyone would be able to find a ref for a marriage for me to enable me to order a certificate. The couple are Johanna Tynne and Francis Hopkins (Rougher) of Limerick; I believe they would have be married 1864-5. Their children were Baptised at St. Marys of Limerick, first born in 1865.

Any help much appreciated

S

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Limerick Marriage Record
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 May 11 16:53 BST (UK) »
Were the children baptised in the RC parish of St. Mary or the Church of Ireland St. Marys ?

I dont see a civil marriage of a Johanna Tynne in or near Limerick city around the right time. The closest is one in Callan - Co. Kilkenny in 1866.

If the family were RC and the marriage was just before 1864, then they would have missed the start of civil records.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline scully1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 May 11 19:07 BST (UK) »
Were the children baptised in the RC parish of St. Mary or the Church of Ireland St. Marys ?

I dont see a civil marriage of a Johanna Tynne in or near Limerick city around the right time. The closest is one in Callan - Co. Kilkenny in 1866.

If the family were RC and the marriage was just before 1864, then they would have missed the start of civil records.

Shane

You may well be right, could have been just before the cut off. I believe this to be her children

John
born 22 Dec 1867 ST MARYS, LIM, IRE
Father- Francis Hopkins
Mother- Johanna Tyne

Catherine
born 29 Dec 1871 BELFAST NO 3, ANT, IRE
(page 310 in civil register)
Father- Francis Hopkins
Mother- Johanna Tyne

Mary
born 21 Apr 1870 ST MARYS, LIM, IRE
(page 526 in civil register)
Father- Francis Hopkins
Mother- Johanna Tyne

Francis Joseph Hopkins
born 25 Sep 1873 Belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Father- Francis Hopkins
Mother- Johanna Tyne

Martin Hopkins
born 13 Nov 1865 LIMERICK,LIMERICK,IRELAND
(page 387 in civil register)
Father- Francis Hopkins
Mother- Johanna Tyne

Not sure if this helps. Going to see if I can hunt them down on the census records...not sure how possible this is.

Regards

Offline scully1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 May 11 20:35 BST (UK) »

Shane

Hi Shane,

I believe it to have been RC Parish of St. Marys. I have come across a possible marriage 1858 in St. Marys RC in Limerick for a Francis Hopkins but can't access the record to see if Johanna was the bride.

Regards

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 May 11 21:12 BST (UK) »
there could be other children then between 1859 and the start of civil birth records in 1864...

where are you based ?

Records for St Mary's parish are on microfilm in the National Library in Dublin - see : link  (Limerick City records - Irish Times)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline scully1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 May 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
there could be other children then between 1859 and the start of civil birth records in 1864...

where are you based ?

Records for St Mary's parish are on microfilm in the National Library in Dublin - see : link  (Limerick City records - Irish Times)

Shane

Hi Shane,

Unfortunately I am up North. I am considering ordering daughter Margarets birth certificate however this will only provide me with the names Francis Hopkins and Johanna Tynne which I already know...wondering if I should apply to Dublin for the marriage record of 1858 but just want to be sure it is the right couple...

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 May 11 21:21 BST (UK) »
not sure what you mean by apply for the record - the GRO will only have RC marriages from 1864.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Where did you find this possible marriage reference ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline scully1957

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 May 11 21:26 BST (UK) »
not sure what you mean by apply for the record - the GRO will only have RC marriages from 1864.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Where did you find this possible marriage reference ?

Shane

Hi Shane.

http://ifhf.rootsireland.ie/   has a marriage for a Francis Hopkins 1858 St Mary's R.C. Limerick. As I say though, access is limited and I can't see Johanna's details without paying out a small fortune! God yeh..I am forgetting what time I am looking at here. I just don't want to assume this is to be them.

Regards

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 May 11 21:28 BST (UK) »
that should be a transcription from the same records.

Have a search for a marriage for Johanna Tynne in the same year and parish... if there is one then at least there's a possible match. You have to pay to see the full transcription..

Shane
My Surname Interests