Author Topic: Reid, Davidson in Insch 1696 and connections  (Read 8702 times)

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Reid, Davidson in Insch 1696 and connections
« on: Saturday 14 May 11 18:10 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my ancestors William DAVIDSON of Knockenbaird and Elspet REID of Myreton who married in Insch on 26 June 1686. I know that after they marry, they are tenants on a farm toun called Scotstown.

I am trying to find out more about their siblings and descendants and have started by looking at the 1696 Poll of Aberdeenshire. I find a few REID tenant farmers mentioned in the Insch area and where the wife is mentioned, I have found their marriages and children's baptisms on the IGI and/or Scotland's People.

However it is the linking together that I am having difficulty with and I wonder if anyone can help with the following info I have found:

There is a family of Alexander Hall at Knockenbaird and they show up in the Davidson/Reid children's baptisms. There are other Reids dotted about the Insch parish which are probably siblings of our Elspet. Namely:
John REID and Margaret Webster at Myreton - he probably took over his father's lease if Elspet was 'of Myreton'
Alexander RIED and (1) Jean Robertson poss (2) Elspet Hall at Meikle Wardes
Janet REID and Gilbert Jameson at Pyke
Christian REID and James Martin at Headie Town of Meikle Wardes
William REID and Agnes Webster at Carniston

The landowner at this time was Count Patrick LESLIE and it has been suggested that where REID and DAVIDSON farmers were the tacksman in each farm toun, they were likely to have a blood connection to Count Leslie. I can't find that, either. But the Reid and Davidson families all baptise one son Patrick for several generations after this so there must be something!
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline Seaocean0

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reid, Davidson in Insch 1696 and connections
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 11 20:17 BST (UK) »
Patrick Davidson
B: 13.09.1700
M: 1730, Elspet Chambers
D: 1772

Parents of Elspet Reid- John Reid and Margaret Webster of Myreton

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 11 21:07 BST (UK) »
The Poll Book was pretty well written up in about November 1695. It only includes those who were liable to pay, so underage children and the very poor are not mentioned.

Patrick Leslie was not a Count, just a laird. Count is the European term for what we call an Earl in Scotland (though his wife is called a countess). Patrick was not one of the nobility.

Be careful when you use "of" after someone's name. John Smith of Myretown actually owns the land. The Register of Sasines then lets you trace his family further. John Smith in Myretown is a tenant (also called a tacksman as he has a tack or lease) or a subtenant. At the end of the 17th century in this part of Aberdeenshire there were no enclosed farms and several families might hold leases for parts of the same larger farm.

Graham.

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 May 12 10:31 BST (UK) »
It is also worth mentioning that in parish records of Aberdeenshire, 'of' a farm usually meant it was owned and 'in' meant that it was tenanted.  Large farms had several tenants 'in' them and were sometimes designated a 'toun' or 'town'.

Count Leslie (our Patrick's granduncle) was a Count in the Holy Roman Empire so not part of the Scottish nobility per se.   Patrick was definitely a Count.  I quote 2 references  below ...

1."Walter Leslie's patent of the dignity of Count of the Holy Roman Empire was granted to him and his two brothers, William and Alexander, and their heirs, that, in case he died without issue, they might succeed him in his titles and estates.

"Being possessed of great wealth, Water Leslie frequently remitted sums of money to his brother Alexander Leslie, fourteenth Baron of Balquhain, and his nephew Patrick Leslie (1640 - 1710), fifteenth Baron, and enabled them to retrieve their estates, then very much embarrassed by the extravagance of former possessors.

Walter, Count Leslie, died at Vienna 4th March 1667, aged sixty-one years, and was buried with great pomp in the Leslie chapel in the Scotch Benedictine Abbey there. He was succeeded by his nephew James, second Count Leslie who died 1694."

2. Having no issue, Walter entailed his estates on his nephew Count James, eldest son of his brother, Alexander Leslie, fourteenth Baron of Balquhain, and his heir-male; whom failing, on Patrick Leslie, younger son of the said Alexander Leslie, and his heir-male; failing whom, on the heirs-male of his father-in-law, Maximilian, Prince Dietrichstein; family whom, on the heirs-female of the said James and Patrick Leslie, his nephews, when the entail was to be exhausted.

Patrick Leslie, after his succession to the Leslie estates in  Germany, on the death of his brother Count James in 1694, also made additons to the Balquhain property, purchasing the lands of the barony of Insch, Boddam, Greenhall, Muiryheadless, Knockenbaird, Scotstown, and Aquhortes.

Source:
http://books.google.com/books?id=lyENAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA113#v=onepage&q=&f=false
Page 113 - 129
Armstrong and Cotter (Co. Cork),  Cooper and Davidson (Aberdeenshire), Cosgrove (Co. Down/Co. Longford),
Cotter (London/Cornwall), Ker (Edinburgh/Roxburgh), Martyn (Cornwall), Orpen/Palmer (Co. Kerry), Pryn (Cornwall), Garnett/Radcliff (Co. Meath),
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline douglasp1950

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 July 14 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Could you please help me? I am researching Davidsons in the Insch area.
My forebear James Davidson married Jean Paterson on 5 January 1768 at Premnay (next to Insch).

Their children were christened at Kemnay: George, 1768; Isobel, 1770; Margaret, 1772; Jean, 1774; William, 1775; James, 1777; John, 1779; Andrew, 1782; Alexander, 1783; Peter, 1785; Anne, 1789; Mary, 1792.

Best Wishes
Douglas Parker.
Melbourne, Australia

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Douglas

Sorry for the delay in replying, I haven't been on RootsChat for ages.  I have several James Davidson entries on my tree but none really look like your chap:

1.  James bap/born 1739, son of James b.  20 Dec 1687 Insch, Aberdeenshire who d.  AFT 1746
Cairniestoun, Insch, Aberdeenshire.  No further info that I have but he could be your man in Kemnay.

2. James bap 14 Oct 1732 Insch, witnesses James Davidson of Cairniestoun and John Crookshank of Mill of Wardhouse, son of William Davidson b.  01 Jan 1693 Insch, Aberdeenshire d.  AFT 1746
Largie, Insch.  His son James was b 1769 d 1853 and married a Jane.  So probably not your chap

3. James Davidson b. 04 Dec 1739 Newtown, Kennethmont, Aberdeenshire d. 14 Feb 1816
Newtown, Kennethmont, Aberdeenshire. Burial Insch Old Kirkyard.  Occupation Farmer, Newtown, Kennethmont  but he m. Singer, Elizabeth 09 Dec 1773 Insch, Aberdeenshire who d. 27 Jul 1817

Not much help, I'm afraid.

Isabel
Wilkie (Roxburgh)

Offline cjnd307

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 April 18 21:33 BST (UK) »
My great x5 grandfather, William Davidson, and unknown mother had a son James Davidson, born in Insch on 25 August 1762. He became a journeyman shoemaker and is buried in the Old Howff graveyard in Dundee.

Can anyone help me trace his mother, siblings and grandparents please? I looked in the Insch graveyard the last time I was there without success. Where do you think I should look next?

Chris

Offline jcrane47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 November 18 00:14 GMT (UK) »
On reading your message, I alerted at the mention of Knockenbaird and as I have ancestors from this area I wondered if you had come across the Hall family.  Here are my details:
My ancestors begin with George Hall b. abt.1720 d. Knockenbaird and married to Elisabeth Reid 25 June 1747 Insch, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.  They had 9 children: George b.1747;Elspeth b 1750; Janet b 1752; Margaret b.1753; William b. 1756; Mary b.1760; Jean b.1760; Agnes b.1762; Walker (Walter) b.1765.  The George from this family (b.1747) m. Jean Ledinghame 20 March 1790 Insch, Aberdeen, Scotland.  They had 4 children: Alexander b.1791; George 1793; Walker b.1796; Isabell b.1800.  The George from this family (b.1793) m Anne (Lidingham) Ledingham Abt. 1811 Scotland.  They had 6 children: Margaret b.1812 m John Davidson b 1804 Premnay, Aberdeen, Scotland m 9 June 1838 Chapel Of Garioch, Aberdeen, Scotland.  They had 2 children: John and William
Let me know please if you need anymore information.

Offline rosneath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 November 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Funny you should post something today, just when I am looking at the 1696 Poll List for Insch!

For Knockenbaird the listing says:
Alexander HALL, elder and younger
Elspet HALL, his daughter (presumably daughter of the elder and sister of the younger but not very clear)
William HALL and Janet JAMESON his wife
James Andersone and Margaret HALL his wife
Janet Andersone his daughter

In Greinhall there is:
John HALL and Elizabeth Black, his wife

Hope that is a bit helpful
Wilkie (Roxburgh)