Author Topic: PI N.K., Hereford - Where Could This Be?!  (Read 10212 times)

Offline Nostalgic_One

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
PI N.K., Hereford - Where Could This Be?!
« on: Sunday 15 May 11 12:24 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has transcribed a birthplace on a census record as PI N.K., Hereford.  I'm not familiar with the area and was wondering whether anybody could throw any light on where that might be? 

Many thanks,

Nostalgic One
Mackintosh - originating from the parish of St. Martin in the Fields, Westminster in the late 1700s and extending to Greater London, Scotland, Jersey and Mexico.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
Re: PI N.K., Hereford - Where Could This Be?!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 May 11 12:26 BST (UK) »
Place Unkown

NK is the shortened version of Unknown used on census returns and I would say that PI is actuallu Pl.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 May 11 12:30 BST (UK) »
N.K. = Not Known

I think too that PI should be PL _place

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 May 11 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Found a place this morning on the net which gives small villages and defunct hamlets from about the 13th centuary onwards. I presume its a place something like that?
Try looking at  A Vision of Britain through time. You might find a small place on there

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Nostalgic_One

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 May 11 13:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the responses.

I've just had a look at the original image again and it says something, I'm sure of it.  Looks like 'Hereford (Phank).'  I've attached it and would be hugely grateful if somebody could have a look.

Mackintosh - originating from the parish of St. Martin in the Fields, Westminster in the late 1700s and extending to Greater London, Scotland, Jersey and Mexico.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 May 11 13:49 BST (UK) »
Is this the only census in which the relevant person appears? If not, what birthplace is given for him/her in other census years?

Please can you provide the census reference for the extracted entry?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Nostalgic_One

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 May 11 13:57 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately yes, this is the only census of any use.  (It's the 1851 census, the person died in 1853, and the 1841 census only indicates whether people were resident in the same county they were born in).

The reference  is: 
HO107/1581

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 May 11 14:07 BST (UK) »
So that others can find her, she's Elizabeth MACKINTOSH, 76, enumerated in Camberwell.  I see from the entry immediately below hers (her daughter Catharine MACKINTOSH) that Catharine's birthplace was given as "London (Ph n.k.)".  In those circumstances the bit in brackets for each of them must surely be something along the lines of "Parish not known".

"Ph" is an old abbreviation for Parish, and N.K. was often used the the censuses to denote "Not Known".
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Nostalgic_One

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 May 11 14:10 BST (UK) »
Are you sure?  I'm not convinced they do in fact say the same thing, even though the transcriber evidently thought they did.  Daughter Catherine was definitely born in the parish of St. Martin in the Fields (this is very well documented).