Author Topic: Death by drowning 1874. Any advice appreciated  (Read 20307 times)

Offline amandasqu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death by drowning 1874. Any advice appreciated
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 16 February 17 20:22 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandfather was also the same Boys Spicer b 1819, d 1874, I visited Church in Marden & an old man told me old graves were moved some time ago because they wanted easy maintenance. A brother of some people doing some rose care in front of the Church told us some history, I beleive it was from him I leant that a Boys Spicer drowned.  There was a son of this Boys Spicer who was also called Boys, born 1847 so it was this one who drowned They lived & farmed at Chainhurst Farm Marden or Staplehurst. I'm descended from Julia Spicer - daughter of Boys senior.

Offline Lynn 1935

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 27 August 17 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi I am new here on Roots .I have been very interested in all the information I've seen here on the Simmons from Staplehurst and surrounding areas.
I am trying to gather any information about my Simmons family.I have Started with my g.g.grandmother Caroline Simmons 1841-1869 and reached to Edward Simmons 1683-1735.
I was wondering if you thought it maybe the same Simmons that yourself and another member was talking about .My family run  farms  one being Iden farm.
                               Thanks .

Offline PtE

• RootsChat Member
  • In knowledge lies wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 28 August 17 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynn 1935,

Earlier in the year I started to research the Simmons family of Staplehurst as my Gt. Gt. Grandmother was Sally Simmons (1794-1850). I don't think her family were connected to the Simons family of Marden, though I could be wrong if I can get back any further.
However, one of Sally's ancestors was Edward Simmons bpt. 1687 Marden and bur. 1735 Staplehurst so I was wondering if this is the same Edward from your tree. He married Anne Bridgeland of S'hurst in 1714 at Frittenden.
I have not yet researched all of the various descendants yet, so, if you think we are looking at the same family, perhaps you could tell me where Caroline fits in.
I have a couple of wills from later Members of this family and they all seem to be Gentlemen Farmers.
Look forward to your thoughts,

Veronica
Bellingham Kent
Hope Kent
Love Kent
Simmons Kent
Bridgland Kent
Beslee Kent
Patterson Kent
Knott Kent

Offline PtE

• RootsChat Member
  • In knowledge lies wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 28 August 17 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi again Lynn1935,
Have just dug out my notes and have found a Caroline bpt. 11/10/1840 d/o Edward Simmons and Elizabeth Chantler. This Edward was the brother of my Sally.

Veronica
Bellingham Kent
Hope Kent
Love Kent
Simmons Kent
Bridgland Kent
Beslee Kent
Patterson Kent
Knott Kent

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 11 September 17 19:04 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather was also the same Boys Spicer b 1819, d 1874, I visited Church in Marden & an old man told me old graves were moved some time ago because they wanted easy maintenance. A brother of some people doing some rose care in front of the Church told us some history, I beleive it was from him I leant that a Boys Spicer drowned.  There was a son of this Boys Spicer who was also called Boys, born 1847 so it was this one who drowned They lived & farmed at Chainhurst Farm Marden or Staplehurst. I'm descended from Julia Spicer - daughter of Boys senior.

Amandasqu, So sorry I haven't been on the board for a while and didn't see your post.   Definitely we are cousins, though I'm never sure of how many times removed...
My great grandmother was Mary Ann Spicer, daughter of Boys Spicer (the one who drowned) and Frances Highwood.   I'm very fond of Mary Ann, not only because her photos show a friendly smile and my own mother had lovely memories of her grandmother, but also because I have her tea set, apparently used every Sunday throughout her married life without any breakages.    I wish I could hand it on in the same state, but not confident on that!    Also because it is Mary Ann and her line that lead me to my one and only gateway ancestors (all as detailed earlier in this thread)
According to what I've found building my tree, Mary Ann was the fifth child born in 1851, then came Elizabeth, and then your great grandmother Julia was the seventh born in 1858?   Does that tie in with your information?
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Lynn 1935

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 11 September 17 22:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry I have just noticed you answered about the Simmons Staplehurst.
Yes I do have Anne Bridgeland in my tree married to Edward.I agree that they were gentlemen farmers.one farm being Iden farm.
I now see you have found Caroline and her brother was Edward so we are talking about the same family.
If you would like you look on my tree at Ancestry it's on Wade family history site.Just ask if your a member as it's a private tree. I noticed I have a Sally Day Simmons if it's the same person.  Jill.

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 06 January 18 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,   I was still off the board for a long time - builders followed the final house move, need I say more? - but did work away in the background building my mother's tree via her grandmother, Mary Ann Spicer, using all the information on this thread so generously given by all of you, and in particular Priscilla and easterHammer.  This Christmas I gave copies to my sons and grandchildren with various reactions.
From two of the grandsons, "never mind all the boring bits, look at the names at the end!  They're royal!"   From one of my sons "Mum, we are all descended from someone aren't we?"   Well, yes, but it's quite nice to know who they were, isn't it?
All this bears out what I've always believed, that most of us don't really have any interest in where we come from until the last person we can ask has gone - hence force feeding my family their own copies of family history and asking that they just shove them in a cupboard somewhere because, who knows, one day they may even wish to look at them - and I probably won't be there to ask.
So to all of you on this thread, thank you again
I hope you all have a very happy, healthy and successful 2018 and look forward to getting back on the board a lot more and getting involved again in this really great community.  I don't know anywhere else where help and advice arrives so generously from strangers (and sometimes unknown relatives) around the world.
Maggie x
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline amandasqu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
Yes that is right, we are related very distantly. my great grandmother was Julia Spicerborn 1858.  She seemed to be living at Hertsfield Farm, Marden as a child but moved all over the place after marrying but was in Jasmine Villa, Marden during the First World War.  My Nanny ( Julia's daughter ) also had a lovely smile.  I write now as I have just given Marden museam ( at the library) a very old photo album which had Julia's family in it but as I couldn't identify them I thought others might be more interested.  I think it must be the Spicer family going back to about 1840 or so.  I was also very fascinated to read about Mary Boys and her connection to Royalty!

Offline HOPGOOD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 29 March 20 03:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am a descendant of John Hopgood b1764, and Pricilla Elizabeth Sharp 1766-1840, married on 2nd Feb 1784. They had 12 children..John, Priscilla, Thomas, Priscilla, Pyiladelphia Simmons, Robert, Samuel, Mary Annore, Boyce Simmons, Elizabeth Etherington, and Caroline from Boughton Monchelsea (Kent). I am from Samuel's Line. I am trying to trace John Hopgood further back in time but have no luck. Could anyone please guide me to find out. Cheers!!