Author Topic: SHAW in Hertfordshire: mystery man in travelling van  (Read 2475 times)

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
SHAW in Hertfordshire: mystery man in travelling van
« on: Monday 16 May 11 11:04 BST (UK) »
When a family member named Ann Cary (alias Draper) died at Broad Colney, Shenley, Hertfordshire, on 18 March 1879, the informant on her death certificate was a Jeremiah Shaw, described as being present at the death and living in a Travelling Van at Broad Colney, Shenley.

I've got lots of records for Gypsy Shaws in Hertfordshire and surrounding counties – but have never come across any Jeremiahs before. And he's not obvious in online databases either: census indexes, FamilySearch etc.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHAW in Hertfordshire: mystery man in travelling van
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 11 17:54 BST (UK) »
hi, hello again sharon. we have talked before. try scotlands people site. and lanc opc site, as there are lots of romany shaws, that lived in scotland, and lancashire. i know this is a long way from your shaws, but you would be suprised how far gypsy folk can travel? there may be a link, even though they are a long way apart. bye for now.  rob g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 11 22:39 BST (UK) »
Good idea, Rob. Many thanks.

Sharon
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline draper1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 January 18 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi  , I saw your post regarding the name draper, your post interested me because I'm also a draper, kind regards maria

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 January 18 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maria

Good to make contact. Perhaps we can share notes about the Draper family if you're researching them?

My Drapers are mainly in and around Hertfordshire and surrounding counties but I collect all references to the name as a Romany surname across the UK. So I may have information to offer if you're tracing a specific family. Let me have a few details and I'll take a look.

Sharon
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies

Offline draper1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 January 18 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,.   My grandad has sadly passed away(Percy draper) my dad's name is Timmy draper) speaking to dad I understand the drapers are a very large family, my grandad ( Percy draper) sadly had a brother who went missing in the war (Spencer draper) most of the drapers like in Kent::::::::::: i would like to know your grandad name and your dad's name if possible, my grandad (Percy draper) had brothers.  Thanks maria

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 January 18 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maria

I've got quite a lot of material on the Drapers who lived in Kent. My info seems to indicate that they had their origins several generations back in Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire. Spencer is a name that crops up quite a lot in the families I know about, going back over about 200 years. The first reference I have to a Spencer Draper is in 1805 in Leicestershire.

My personal connection to the Drapers doesn't start until the early 19th century: my 4xgreat-grandmother was Mirella Draper who was the partner of Ambrose Smith. He was born 1785 in Norfolk. She was born around 1791 and came from the Hertfordshire/Cambridgeshire area. They travelled in Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex and saw Norwich as their main base.

Happy to help with finding out more about your grandad Percy's ancestors if I can.

Sharon
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies

Offline draper1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 January 18 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon.     My grandad was born in bexleyheath,(Percy draper) I know speaking to my dad the draper family traveled all over the country,  were settled down and iv never traveled, my name is (draper-smith) my dads brother were named Levi,Benny, Edmund,. ..I would love to see any family draper photos you have, my email draper449@gmail.com

Offline Philip Kendall

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 May 20 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon, iam of Romany origin definitely try Lancashire,kushti book good luck in your search!   Philip Hawkshaw .