Author Topic: Dr James Samuel Drury b1822-1865  (Read 9249 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dr James Samuel Drury b1822-1865
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 10:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Karenlee!

I can't find Isabella in the 1891 census to confirm which of the 2 gentlemen she married!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 11:05 BST (UK) »

I can see James and Emily H WYPER in both the 1891 and 1901 Scottish Census' and there are no children on either.

UK Wills and Probate Index

WYPER James of Nithsdale Lodge Pollokshields Glasgow died 24th Feb 1922 at Pitlochy.  Confirmation of John Strang WYPER and Janet Stewart PETERS or WYPER.  Sealed London 28th Feb 1923.

Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

If he had been a physician to the Queen then you would expect an obituary in a newspaper like The Times, because he would have to have been a prominent and experienced practitioner.
James became a member of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1845 and gained his M.D. (second division) from London University in 1852 when at St George's Hospital. He received his Bachelor of Medicine in 1848 at St George's Hospital first division (second division in 1844). He was working for St Mary's Hospital in 1850 and 1851.
There is a notice in The Times (inserted by the family) for his marriage in 1859 but after that nothing further.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scott125

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all,
I have to go at some stage to a family member that has some of James Samuels stuff, a large vanity cases which was said, it was given to James Samuel's wife, from the Queen, why his son James Henry brought it out here to New Zealand I have no Idea.
He also has a large silver ink well which was given to James Samuel commanding officers for his work on the Crimean Peninsula, how dose one find out about his war record in the Crimean War?
More family storys are that James Henry Drury (my great great grandfather) went to Eton collage or one of the schools like it, how hard is it to try and prove that?
Also did the daughters of James Sameul have any children themself?

Thank you all so much, its so hard to try and source things form here, you are all filling in alot of blanks which is much appreciated

Thanks Scott

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Genealogist website has the Eton registers.

http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/nameindex/ai_content.php?type=diamond

He was mentioned in the letters of Lewis Carroll volume 1

snippet from Google books

'The parents of the girls were James Samuel Drury (1822-65), physician, and his wife Sophia Louisa, born Bousfield (d. 1886). The daughters were Mary "Minnie" Francis (1859-1935), who married (1882) Herbert Henry Fuller, land surveyor; ...'

Army doctors records

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/take-it-further/military/doctors-war-%E2%80%93-lists-and-records

I can't find the list it says exists on Genuki though.

Regards

Valda

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 11:33 BST (UK) »
Interestingly the newspaper records of the marriage of Emily shows the marriage was conducted by "the Right Rev. the Bishop of Praetoria (uncle of the bride)".

There's also a note in the Glasgow Herald of June 23, 1896; that on the 21st the wife of James Wyper had a still-born daughter (address 11 Lansdown Crescent).

search.fibis.org/ shows that Isabella died in 1884 (reported in the Times of India).

Herbert and Mary appear to have had a son Charles Drury Fuller (there is a marriage and then a divorce for him, he possibly died in 1940 on the IoW).

Offline delphi8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 15:06 BST (UK) »
Scott I'm currently researching a Firth family who married into the Drury family.

James Samuel Drury's father was Richard Drury and his mother was Caroline Francis Firth. His father Richard was transported to Tasmania in 1827 after being found guilty of larceny at the Old Bailey in 1826.

Richard Drury married again in 1835 to a Frances Emma Jarrit at Sorell, Tasmania, presumably this was a bigamous marriage as his first wife did not die until 1879. Richard Drury died at Dunedin, New Zealand on 14 December 1864.

James Samuel Drury's death was reported in The Times on Nov 14 1865 but it does not mention he was a doctor to the Queen. There is also a report of Dr James Drury's death in London which states he was the eldest son of Richard Drury of Dunedin - it's in the Daily Southern Cross, 7 March 1866, Page 4 which you can view online at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

The online index doesn't seem to want to find it, but on a manual search of the 'Deaths' for 14th November 1865 in The Times you can scroll down and find the family inserted death notice which just states where and when he died and that it was a long illness. Is there an actual report of the death made by The Times?

Regards

Valda

Offline kglm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 April 12 21:52 BST (UK) »
I am trying to confirm if I am also a descendant of James Henry Drury, cabman of Chrictchurch NZ who was the son of James Samuel Drury and grandson of Richard Drury. My great-grandfather, Benjamin Drury, was also a cabman in Christchurch at the same time as James Henry. I cant find any trace of Benjamin in UK records. He states on the NZ birth certificates of his children that he was born in Crewkerne Somerset. I am wondering, given the coincidence of name and occupation, whether he was an illegitimate older half-brother of James Henry. Benjamin was born in the range 1845-1855.

Other coincidences/connections are that Benjamin had a son named Richard, after Benjamin's death his widow lived in the same street as James Henry, two of the sons of Richard Drury from his Tasmanian family were also cabmen in Christchurch for a time.