Author Topic: Dr James Samuel Drury b1822-1865  (Read 9236 times)

Offline ChrisTer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dr James Samuel Drury b1822-1865
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 July 16 04:57 BST (UK) »
Scott,

Your James Samuel Drury had a son James Henry Drury who was sent out to New Zealand to my grandfather Philip Anderson who we suspect was his half brother . After extensive research I think Sophia Drury(nee Bousfield) may have had two children before marrying James Drury. My grandfather claims Rebekah Bousfield is his grandmother and Sophia Bousfield was sending him money in New Zealand. My grandfather writes about James Henry in his diaries and journals.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 July 16 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris. That is all very interesting.. Aim in Peru at the moment and am not near my Family tree stuff. James father Richard Drury was sent to Australia for steeling and ended up being released and then heading to Dunedin where he set up as a seed merchant in the 1840's (he was one of the 1st white guys down there). He in turn re married from memory a Caroline Francis??? And they had another 3 children (2 boys and a girl) I was trying to track descendants for them down but the trail ran cold. I was thinking this also may have been a reason James was sent out to N.Z (where do you live? I am in Christchurch) there are still grand children of James and Marie still about with a lot of info. I would be interested in chatting to you more. As I have just had the fires of the family tree re stoked as my son got me a Ancestry DNA test kit for my birthday.

Thanks Scott

(Oh and my middle middle name and my sons middle name is Samuel in the Drury family tradition)   

Posted on behalf of scott125 who had sent the message to me in error. To reply to topics on RootsChat you need to login and click the reply button ;)

Welcome to RootsChat Chris :)

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChrisTer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 05:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Scott,

I'm in Sydney, where is home to you? Sophia Drury's (nee Bousfield) father William Cheek Bousfield was a barrister,and was Deputy Registrar of the Bankruptcy Court, and the irony is he ended up serving a sentence in debtor's prison. Both Sophia and James Drury had fathers who found themselves on the wrong side of the law. Sophia's father had premises with his partner Pilcher at 8 Chatham Pl Blackfriars in London . He owned a home in Warborough Oxfordshire and property at Mussel Hill. He died at Inns Court London a few years after getting out of prison. I have a photo of Sophia's mother Rebekah Bousfield(nee Richings). She comes from a family of clergy. Sophia's brothers were university educated, one was first Bishop of Pretoria, one a barrister , one a Surveyor etc.I have a tree on the Bousfields going back to 1600s and plenty of ancillary information. What I'm looking for is proof that Sophia was my great grandmother, I have a lot of circumstantial evidence but lack proof.
Do you know about Octavius Bousfield who was a Surveyor in NZ. Much is available about this family. My grandfather Philip Anderson was supposedly sent to his Uncle Octavius in NZ in1865.And James Henry Drury was sent to my grandfather later on. In his diaries Philip writes about repairing James Samuel Drury's desk that was sent to him in NZ.
I did know about Richard Drury's larceny charge. He was sent to Tasmania to serve his sentence and then went to NZ in1864. There are photos of Sophia, James Henry and James Samuel Drury posted in My Heritage. Did you put them there? If so where did you find them?
Much of the information I have is due to my cousin's many hours of work in copying my grandfather's diaries and journals which are held in the Mitchel Library Sydney. These books span 1865 ( year he went to NZ) to1938 when he died. However, he discusses some of his early years in Oxfordshire in them.
Sophia started a small school at 13 Radnor Pl Paddington London . She was also friends with Lewis Carroll who wrote a poem about James Henry's three sisters,Mary,Isabella and Emily.

Would be grateful to hear of any information that you have.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 10:40 BST (UK) »

The one thing I did not do is say that the James Samuel Drury I was referring to is James Samuel Drury II (he was the sone of the Doctor James Samuel Drury the 1st. His Father was Richard Drury who was sent to Australia.
Can this get also pasted with my other e mail.
(As a sides there was a James Samuel Drury III but he died 'aged 21' when the N.Z army operated on him so he could go to WW2)

A message from Scott
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suzibee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 04:04 GMT (UK) »
HOW INTERESTING - the ongoing Anderson / Bousfield mystery.
Anything more in the way of facts of any possible previous marriage for Sophie Bousfield?
Sister to Octavius (which is my line here in NZ) ?
Anything more in the diaries held over there in Sydney?
Can you include me in on any outcomes or if anything comes to light.

Thanks
Genealogically yours,

Sue B  (Bowers/Barnfather/Bousfield)
New Zealand
BROWN (anglicised from BRAUN) Heligoland, Germany, arrived NZ 1840 aboard Martha Ridgway),BOUSFIELD,RICHARDSON,BARNFATHER (england & NZ)

Offline scott125

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was able to read James Henry Drury's diary before Xmas. It is the most amazing read, he live a life to say the least. I will find my cousins (Ray Drury) e mail address and forward all this too him. He has so much info on the Drury family. He will have some answers.  thanks Scott