Author Topic: Richard Glennon publican Dublin  (Read 5611 times)

Offline Quaxer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Glennon publican Dublin
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 May 11 17:27 BST (UK) »
Jmol

For copyright reasons I am unable to supply more than I have given to you.

Regards

Quaxer

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 May 11 17:35 BST (UK) »
jmol17, your profile doesn't mention where you are located, but you can view copies of the Irish Times in the National Library in Dublin (on microfilm) and also the Irish Times has an online archive (subscription) - http://www.irishtimes.com/search/archive.html

You could probably locate the relevant details quite quickly using the dates and references given by Quaxer above..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 May 11 18:46 BST (UK) »
I can trace Suffolk St. Richard Glennon in the directories at the back to at least 1834 :

3, Suffolk Street, Civil Parish of St. Andrew

1834 - Richard Glennon, preserver of birds and beasts,
     dealer in minerals, shells etc

1840 - (same listing as 1834)

1848 - Richard Glennon, preserver of birds and beasts,
  dealer in mineralogy, antique coins, and
  in natural history

1852 - (same listing as 1848)

1863 - Mr. Glennon, bird stuffer

by 1868 the listing has The Royal Arcade Hotel & Tavern at 1,2 & 3 Suffolk Street, with proprietor Auguste Mouillot

(srcs Thom's, Pettigrew & Oulton)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jmol17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 23 May 11 14:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Shane, the problem I have is linking the Richard Glennon of Suffolk St with the Richard Glennon who appears on my g grandmother (Elizabeth) Mary Glennons marriage certificate in 1879, his trade was publican, I have searched all the available sites which have Dublin births and cannot definitely say who is who and whether the Suffolk St Richard is related to the publican Richard or if they are the same, do you have any ideas?
Once again thanks for help so far.
J

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 23 May 11 14:12 BST (UK) »
I dont think they are the same people, they seem to be separate people with the same name in two quite different trade/professions... They could maybe be related... I dont see any likely marriages or baptisms that could connect them. The problem is your Richard could have married, or even  been born somewhere outside the city, or even out side the county,and would not be included in the IrishGenalogy.ie records..

There is a possible marriage of a daughter of the Richard that lived on Suffolk Street on Irish Genealogy - although from the transcription it looks like the grooms name on the register may be difficult to read..

Marriage of Julius Ste...mhagen & Sarah Glennon - 1 Sept 1859
  Parish of St. Andrew (RC), Dublin City

Do you know the religion of your Glennon family ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline jmol17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 23 May 11 14:21 BST (UK) »
Yes they were RC married at the cathedral in 1879, Elizabeth Mary Glennon m to William Owen, I have traced my Owens and they were COI so the Glennons must have been RC, but can't get back further than Richard Glennon from the marriage cert. I have checked the England census to see if he was from there but no luck.
Further to your earlier question I am based in Lancashire, but was in Dublin last month to see where my relatives lived and visited the library but didnt have long enough to do much research.
J

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 23 May 11 14:31 BST (UK) »
Based on the directory newspapers references the publican only seems to show up for a relatively short time in the early 1850s and 1860s and then disappears... interestingly the Suffolk street entries stop around the same time, but going by the years his business was in operation (at least 1834 to 1863) I think it's possible that could have retired by then. Unfortunately all just before the start of civil records...

If they were RC then I'd keep an eye out for updates on IrishGenealogy, as they plan to add further RC City records later this year. Hopefully St. Mary's, (Pro-Cathedral) and other large city parishes will be included.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 23 May 11 14:39 BST (UK) »
Looking at Dublin deaths on FamilySearch we have:

Richard Glennon
Registration District: Dublin North
Registration Year: 1872
Age (at Death): 37
Volume Number: 2
Page Number: 491

AND less likely

Richard Glennon
Registration District: Dublin South
Registration Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1880
Age (at Death): 30
Volume Number: 3
Page Number: 713
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jmol17

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 23 May 11 14:50 BST (UK) »
re the irish genealogy.ie the Dublin RC records are due on 10 June 2011 so I am hoping that Mary and Richards births wiil be on there.
Thanks for your help I hope the bird stuffer is a relative !!