Author Topic: Chambers Family of Tullynaskeagh  (Read 8959 times)

Offline timothychambers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chambers Family of Tullynaskeagh
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 January 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I am currently researching the Chambers Family of Tullynaskeagh / motor manufacture etc. It starts with A John Chambers, arriving from Scotland in 1595, with most of the family remaining in the downpatrick area, even to the present day. I do have quite a lot of information, but it would be nice to add to it, or even to cross reference with existing information. Any help would be really appreciated.
Hi,
I'm researching the Chambers of County Mayo. They would have come into Ireland with the MacDonalds to Antrim or Down before the Plantation. Legend says that they moved to Tyrone which makes it likely that they were Redshanks (mercenaries). It's possible that the original name was McCambridge and MacAmbrois before that from the Kintyre/Islay area. (There are still McCambridge families in the Glens of Antrim.) Our yDNA shows the paternal ancestor to be Norwegian Viking, Haplotype R1a branched down to YP1420, which so far only shows up in Norway and the Scottish Highlands.
Since John Chambers came into County Down before the Plantation it's possible that that family also came in with the MacDonalds and may be related to the Mayo Chambers. Have you found any information on John Chambers origins beyond "Scotland"? Has any male Chambers from the family taken the yDNA test? Thank you.
Tim

Offline JONMONASH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 18:54 BST (UK) »
I am a Chambers of Tullynaskeagh - my father farms the farm of Tullynaskeagh.

I can confirm we are pre-plantation and I suspect we were originally Cameronians (i.e. covenanters) from Scotland.

My mother has the original 1858 history written by Francis Chambers (Male) (1771-1862) who is buried at Downpatrick Presbyterian Church.

We are Non-Subscribing Presbyterians - on the liberal wing of Presbyterianism.

4 generations back from me 3 of my great-great uncles started the Chambers Car Company.

I hope that helps.

Offline timothychambers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the reply, JONMONASH.
When your original ancestor came to Tullynaskeagh, Clan Cameron were not covenanters. In fact, they fought alongside Clan Donald against the Covenanter Campbells (Eventually, the Campbells won out and took over Kintyre). Clan Cameron remained catholic and later fought on the Jacobite side. That being said, no clan was fully homogeneous in religion and your family may have taken the pledge. In fact, that may explain their emigration to Ireland because, at that time, they would have been shunned.
I have studied the yDNA of Clan Cameron and the vast majority are R1b. I have found only one R1a Chalmers. So, I originally discounted Clan Cameron as the originators of the County Mayo Chambers. However, if the Tullynaskeagh Chambers are R1a and are Clan Cameron, then I have found what I'm searching for. Contrary to Padraig Mac Giolla Domhnaigh's "Some Anglicised Surnames in Ireland (1923)" Chambers in Antrim/Down before the Plantation did not originate from McCambridge of Kintyre.
To your knowledge, has any Chambers male in your family taken the yDNA test?
Thanks again,
Tim Chambers

PS: I'm hoping that our families are related. That may explain the mechanical skills that saved the family from famine and ensured success in Liverpool and America.

Offline JONMONASH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 August 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
I myself have been DNA tested and I have a long list of DNA data.0

I am unsure which is the relevant marker for R1B or R1A. Perhaps you could send this detail and I can confirm. I only have a data file from ancestry.co.uk

Francis Chambers is quite an interesting fellow.

We were certainly Presbyterian by the 1641 rebellion and were involved in the siege of Ardglass when we assisted Simon de Jourdan (of Jordan's Castle) in breaking the siege and received half a ploughland.

The battle of Dunsford (various dates 1602-1609) was probably fought on our land at Tullynaskeagh at Middle Hill on the farm.

You can see most the detail for Francis Chambers at my ancestry.co.uk tree entitled Chambers of Tullynaskeagh which is public.

I also have a relative John Chambers whose father was a United Irishman in Dublin and was exiled to Hamburg and thence New York after the rebellion.

Offline JONMONASH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 August 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
Here are the first pages of this history we holds written by Francis Chambers in 1858 and 1859

Offline timothychambers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 August 18 20:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks JONMONASH
If you did the autosomal DNA test with Ancestry, i.e. the one that shows your ethnic background shown as percentages, then an R1a Haplotype Chambers would show some Eastern European and Norwegian in the mix.
If you did the yDNA test of your patrilineal line then I can tell the Haplotype from the first 12 markers. Typically, R1a starts with 13, 25, 15 (or 16) and the YCA IIa and YCA IIb would be 19 and 21 (Scandinavian R1a).

Scottish R1a comes from the Norwegian Vikings and can be found in all the Highland Clans. 25% of MacDonalds are R1a. R1a in the British Aisles is said to be positive proof of Viking ancestry.

Offline timothychambers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 August 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
For those who might be following this line of posts:

JONMONASH and I are corresponding directly. He will be taking the yDNA test with FTDNA. The results should be available in about 6 weeks.

I will post a summary result on whether or not the Tullynaskeagh and the Mayo Chambers are related. It will be a research breakthrough for me if we are.

Tim Chambers

Offline timothychambers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 September 18 18:44 BST (UK) »
The results are in. The Tullynaskeagh Chambers (R1b) are not related to my Chambers family in County Mayo (R1a). It is interesting that they descend from the Ur Niall (Niall of the Nine Hostages, High King of Ireland).
A McCambridge also descends from Niall and matches the Tullynaskeagh Chambers. Since no Clan Cameron Chambers/Chalmers nor Norman Chambers nor English Chambers descend from Niall, it appears that it's the Tullynaskeagh Chambers that spawned from McCambridge/ MacAmbrois.
My search goes on.

Offline David Chambers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 February 19 14:02 GMT (UK) »
I am David Chambers, from New England, USA. I've lived in Massachusetts, and now Rhode Island. The oldest Chambers ancestor I can find is a John Chambers, who first appears in upstate New York, near Albany, in 1860. I have a record showing him marrying Jane Meek in Tullylish, County Down, in 1853. I suspect he had a brother Joseph, who also lived in New York, and their father may have been Joseph.

JONMONASH...any idea of a connection to your family? It appears Tullylish is about an hour drive from Tullynaskeagh. I am on the Chambers yDNA project.

Thanks for any help!