Author Topic: O'Hara family Co Longford  (Read 6165 times)

Offline jan77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Hara family Co Longford
« on: Wednesday 18 May 11 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to find my GGGrandmothers family. Her name is Bridget O'Hara born 1832. Marriage certificate shows she was born at Drumlish, Longford. Parents Charles O'Hara (farmer) and Mary Ann Hines. She immigrated to Australia in 1848 under Irish Famine Orphans scheme. Passenger list shows she was Roman Catholic her native place was Killoe and both parents were living but residence  not known, She married Charles Hunter at Beechworth Victoria 1855 and died at Sebastopol Victoria 1914.

Cheers Jan

Offline jcitygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: O'Hara family Co Longford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

I am the ggggrandaughter of Mary O'Hara who apparently travelled to Australia with Bridget O'Hara in 1848.   It is possible that Mary and Bridget were cousins.  After Bridget and Mary arrived in Sydney they were sent to Goulburn where I believe Mary may have met her future husband Robert Charters.

Mary O'Hara's parents names may have been Margaret and Michael.  Have you come across Michael O'Hara in your research.   Do you think that Mary and Bridget were related?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes Judy

Offline jan77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 July 11 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy,

Good to hear from you. Unfortunately I have had no luck with finding any family members prior to Bridget arriving in Australia (but I will keep trying). I also think that Mary and Bridget were related.

Cheers Jan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 July 11 10:47 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately records for the RC parish of Drumlish only go back to 1834... a couple of years too late to include details of Bridget's baptism. See Drumlish RC Parish  (Irish Times)

Killoe is the name of the civil parish which covers the area.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jcitygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 July 11 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan and Shane

It's a pity that we haven't access to more information re the O'Hara girls.  There is a memorial in Sydney at the Barracks where the orphans were accommodated after their arrival.  You may like to look up the website.

Many thanks Shane for your response.

Best wishes, Judy